Palo and makuta on cajones

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Palo and makuta on cajones

Postby Laurent Lamy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi everybody,

I am looking for informations about makuta on cajones. I known various versions on conga drums but not on cajones like in DVD "Rumbanbeo". Palo on cajones is beautiful too. Very beautiful with the songs.

ZunZun
Laurent Lamy

Re: Palo and makuta on cajones

Postby windhorse » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:51 pm

That's a good question!
One of the guys in our group had figured it out from the video Rumbambeo what the patterns were for Palo, and we played it that way for while, but we've probably all forgotten. I never wrote it out.
Maybe someone else will speak up. But it's a question I could ask some of our group when I see them next.
What a great video!!
windhorse

Postby TONE74 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:50 pm

There is also another dvd called " Cajon Espiritual: The Music Box of Cuba " ( earth cds ) that I have and they play a Makuta pattern but I havent broken them down yet. The tumba part is played with one hand with a spoon on the side of the cajon and the other plays the top the rest plays only hands. The best part of that dvd to me is of a family group called Obbara which plays at their house and they have a pretty good jam. I downloaded a sample from the earth cds website which I thought was really good. Check it out its a nice freebi. Hope this helps anyway.
TONE74

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:40 am

HI Laurent,
Check out “Afro-Cuban Traditional Music and Transculturation” by Nolan Warden. Three CD's and a DVD to ac­company this book can be found at the author's website: http://www.nolanwarden.com. You can watch several rhythms played including palo and makuta.
-David

from amazon.com:
How are new musical traditions formed? This is the central question guiding this book on an Afro-Cuban ceremony sometimes called cajón pa' los mu­er­tos, a spirit-possession ritual that has been developed in Cuba over the past few decades. Cajón ceremonies are deftly sculpted from a wealth of religious influences including Santería, Palo, Espiritismo, and Catholicism. Grupo Cuero y Cajón, the case study for this book, provide insight into how songs and rhythms are created for these ceremonies while also bringing together older separate traditions into a new whole. This process of transculturation re­quires preservation and innovation but also shows musicians as integral to the creation of religious practices. As the first work in any language to study Cajón ceremonies, this book documents the songs used in the ceremonies and the eclectic drum rhythms that accompany them. This book is geared towards scholars in the fields of ethnomusicology, anthropology, and religious stu­dies, but will also be of interest to the general reader wan­ting to learn more about Afro-American culture. Three CD's and a DVD to ac­company this book can be found at the author's website: http://www.nolanwarden.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Afro-Cuban-Tradit ... 463&sr=1-1
davidpenalosa

Postby Laurent Lamy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:34 am

Hi David,

thanks for the answer. I knew this very good stuff by Nolan Warden. There is no makuta played on cajones. The version of palo played on cajones have just one cajon whith one conga. I am looking for versions of macuta and palo (and more if it's possible) entirely played by cajones.
Laurent Lamy

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:13 pm

Laurent Lamy wrote:There is no makuta played on cajones.

Hi Laurent,
Sorry about that. You are correct. In the "iyesa" adaptation they play cinquillo on the bell. I remembered the bell pattern, but not the rhythm.
-David

"It should be remembered that although it is called Iyesa, the bell pattern comes from Makuta"—Warden (2006: 120)
davidpenalosa

Postby Laurent Lamy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:12 am

I am remember there is a makuta version from Guanabacoa (shared by Milian Galis) with a caja exactly like the Yesa bata rhythm.
Laurent Lamy

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:40 pm

I am looking for versions of macuta and palo (and more if it's possible) entirely played by cajones.

Laurent: Lawrence Millard has published a live recording of a Cajón ceremony on earthcds.com: "Religious Music of Palo Monte". This one is played on 2 cajones and a guataca.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:42 am

Laurent Lamy wrote:There is 2 must see videos of the "grupo obbara" on Youtube:

Obbara 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te87yGHeaVI

Obbara 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfITtsKgdMQ

I have the DVD those clips are from, great material.
There is also a few CD of Cajon Espiritual. Do you have these?
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises