Yambu Palitos for Son clave

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: Yambu Palitos for Son clave

Postby davidpenalosa » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:26 am

Derick will be posting them shortly. There was a screw-up on my end. Sorry for the delay.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Derbeno » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:24 am

bongosnotbombs wrote:You guys couldn't post the charts?

All done now!
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Derbeno » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:26 am

Derbeno wrote:
bongosnotbombs wrote:You guys couldn't post the charts?

All done now! I did an edit on the original post
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby guarachon63 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:47 pm

Thanks for posting that guys.

Regarding "Era una gran señora," David wrote:
• “Era una gran senora” (1955) by Alberto Zayas uses “clave Havana” (son clave). The segundo begins on the three-side... Interestingly, the segundo changes to the two-side at 0:18 and remains there for the rest of the song.

Not exactly true — it gets even more interesting!

Please correct me if I am wrong about any of this, but I hear not one segundo playing but two, tuned to different notes.

At around 0:18 they not only start playing on the two side, but also in the same place, similar to what occurs in certain versions of Abakuá.

(OT: I think even the intervals to which the drums are tuned would make for a nice-sounding Abakuá. Anyone else agree with that?
I find this Abakuá connection especially interesting because Gregorio Hernández "El Goyo" has a theory that rumba evolved predominately from the Abakuá (the salidor mimics certain drum patterns), and that the Abakuá were principally responsible for the popularization of rumba in Matanzas and Havana, as Abakuá members from one city would go to plantes in the other, and after the ceremonies would play rumba together. Goyo is admittedly an "abakuá-centric" source, but it seems plausible to me. This recording might be an illustrative example.)

Then, at around 1:16 the segundo(s) return to the variation used in the beginning, BUT...they stay on the two-side! Which, if there were just one note involved, would make it a "modern" Havana-style guaguancó.

But then, to make it even more interesting, at the beginning of the montuno (2:18), the clave player begins playing... "clave matanzas."

Rather than any sort of regional marker I think this clave was used to "ramp up" the energy level of the montuno, as that style basically imitates a palitos pattern (as I think someone else here mentioned).

Quickly running through the other tracks on this same recording (released on CD as "El Yambú de los Barrios") one can also hear: rumba clave played on a bell for a few bars at the beginning, then switching to son clave (in Dónde andabas anoche?); "clave matanzas" played on claves for a few bars, dropping out after the palitos come in ("A mi no me tocan campana, no"); Rumba clave played for one cycle, followed by a few cycles of son clave, then switching back to rumba clave for the rest of the song ("Consuelate como yo").

Another curious characteristic to note about these early recordings is that one is as likely to hear either claves OR palitos as much as one hears both.

So, one thing is for sure: at the time of these recordings, rumba was definitely in a "state of flux." :)
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:42 am

guarachon63 wrote:Gregorio Hernández "El Goyo" has a theory that rumba evolved predominately from the Abakuá

I have articulated the same theory for some of the same reasons. One of my charts showing similarities between bonko and quinto was posted in this forum some time ago. I just did two searches for it here and was unable to find it unfortunately.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby taikonoatama » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:46 pm

davidpenalosa wrote:
guarachon63 wrote:Gregorio Hernández "El Goyo" has a theory that rumba evolved predominately from the Abakuá

I have articulated the same theory for some of the same reasons. One of my charts showing similarities between bonko and quinto was posted in this forum some time ago. I just did two searches for it here and was unable to find it unfortunately.
-David

In Sandy's class we recently spent 2 lessons doing a Columbia with a quinto pattern that Sandy explicitly stated was derived from Abakuá bonko. It was a 3-measure pattern played as a loop (at least as taught), but one can clearly imagine this pattern played in Abakuá.

James
taikonoatama

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises