Quinto vs conga

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby jomo_sundiata » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:58 pm

I thought that the traditional settings called for one drum per player, which pretty much solves the two drum problem. Outside of that, anything goes. I mean, if a drum can be tuned the pitch that's preferred by the player, what difference does it make? If someone has a quinto in the middle of a conga and tumba(like our friend Johnny Conga), what's he gonna do?, reach over his quinto and play a tumbao on his conga?

Unless you're in that traditional setting, then go for broke....

Edited By jomo_sundiata on 1188244978
jomo_sundiata

Postby Tonio » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:55 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:I say it's "standard" to play 3 congas today in a band...when I was coming up in the 60's none of the latin bands allowed me to play 3 congas. I was a bit ahead of myself then.,.They would tell me one drum or two but definetly not 3...so it was years before I could actually play 3 congas in a band. So that is why I said it's "typical" today...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D

Gracias JC!!, Then it is a "popular" thing. Its almost hard not to play 3 currently.

T
Tonio

Postby Johnny Conga » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:30 pm

Even Giovanni uses just 2 congas in "typico" band settings, as he did with Eddie Palmieri, which u can see on youtube.com....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
Johnny Conga

Postby ozrivera » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:31 pm

Guest wrote:JC,

vinnieL is probably a beginner percussionist, so for him, tuning with the help of another instrument is more necessary for him than for me who am probably an intermediate percussionist. Tuning by "ear" can come later on. vinnieL and I obviously may not have the same length of experience that you have. But, in time both vinnieL and I can eventually learn to tune by "ear".

Saludos Hermanos

Man, I have never met or seen anyone tune a conga with anything other than by ear. I believe that I would get bitch slapped if I ever pulled out an electronic device to tune my congas on a rumba or a jam session. it’s just not necessary, I learned to ear tune my congas in a few days with some instruction. if you’re tuner can help you tune decibels that are not heard by the human ear, then what’s the point, the human ear is still not going to hear those decibels once its tuned.

from what I’ve seen, the most common set up are conga/tumba for two drums.
and for three drums on a typical salsa set up, conga in front tumba right and another tumba or super tumba to the left. just like abakua mentioned.
I was just recently in Puerto Rico and seems like the traditional set up is evolving there. I noticed that a lot percussionist have a two tumbas set up, one tuned like a conga. I actually tried it when I got back and I must say you get a bigger fuller sound with less of an effort.

I love these forums but I must say that sometimes things can really get over analyzed thus complicating things. my philosophy is to keep it simple.

Best Regard to all

Oz
Pa-tra ni-pa cojer impulso.
ozrivera

Postby Mojuba66 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:11 pm

Hi There!
This is my problem...
i use a classic set with 3 congas - conga on the left,quinto in the middle and tumba on my right side.
Now i've the Poncho Sanchez Conga Method (very interesting) :;):
...but it's written all for the poncho conga set up :laugh:
quinto in the middle,conga & tumba on the right :(
what i can do?
everytime that I study this method,I must change the set or to change the position of the hands
Thanks!!! :D
Mojuba66

Postby dannydrumperc » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:42 pm

ozrivera wrote:If you’re tuner can help you tune decibels that are not heard by the human ear, then what’s the point, the human ear is still not going to hear those decibels once its tuned.

You nailed it, man! Tuning is very subjective to the musical setting and the sonic and feel preference of the player. Every drum shell has a "sweet spot" were it resonates at best - that's DW's philosophy for assembling their drum sets.

I think it is inappropriate trying to pull down a quinto into the conga range, or vice-versa. But after all, drums are non-tuned membranophones, so what’s the big deal!

Edited By dannydrumperc on 1193334404
dannydrumperc

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:26 pm

I think it is inappropriate trying to pull down a quinto into the conga range, or vice-versa.

Basically you´re right, but it also depends on the skins as well as the shape of the tumbadoras IMO. Imagine a quinto with a big belly and thick skins - it might as well serve as a conga....
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:59 pm

Speaking of tuning you know, I was watching that Echua Mingua documentary with Anga the other day on youtube..

He does a version of Thelonious Monk's song "Round Midnight anyways, he played the piano part on 7 congas, said he could really only do it by employing the "best conga tuner in the world".

As far as drums go, I have 2 congas and tune the one down a bit to use as my tumba, I like keeping the intervals a little close together.

In regards to a quinto, it seems that quintos are not only higher pitch, but often have a much different tone than a conga or tumba, and congas and tumbas usually have very similar tonality's and just vary in the pitch (higher and lower).
bongosnotbombs

Postby dannydrumperc » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:56 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:In regards to a quinto, it seems that quintos are not only higher pitch, but often have a much different tone than a conga or tumba, and congas and tumbas usually have very similar tonality's and just vary in the pitch (higher and lower).

Agreed. Like rack toms and floor toms on a drum set. Pearl’s latest set - Reference series - employs different kinds woods (and combinations) and different number of plies for each drum depending on its size. It could be advantageous for congeros to have something like that, don’t you think?
dannydrumperc

Postby Firebrand » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:54 pm

I've always preferred (as a youngin... :) ) Quinto, Conga, and Tumba, or if have I to go with two, Quinto Tumba. I like to tune my congas higher up, and EQ it at gigs or studios with enough treble to really get a nice catch of the slaps, cracks, and rudimental work. I hate it when I sit in at other gigs and the drums are tuned low (for me). Seems like the old-heads like to have that more "tribal" sound, which goes better with their style of playing. I've known some that can get some good slaps and cracks with a lower-tuning, but I prefer to have a more crisp tone.

I've seen a generational shift on this...The youngsters seem to tuned into Richie FLores, Giovanni, and Paoli...and they all want to have 3 or more congas and higher pitched, more musically intervaled tuning. The old heads tend to be more influenced by Barretto, Santamaria, and Patato (maybe Changuito too), and they're tuning is lower and they're styles more rhythmically simplified, but with their own characteristic groove.
Firebrand

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises