Help?!...Rhythms for Bossa Nova

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby James M » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:54 pm

Hey congastu,

Doing good here in Austin, TX. I re-read that post and it should have been 1st and 3rd beats! Que coisa! But if it sounds good, it sounds good. Good luck with the gig. I had been wanting to jam with a percussionist, but there are so many guitarists around here compared to drummers, that's easier for me to go the other route.

off the sublect of Brazilian rhythms, you ever played lando?
James M

Postby Simon B » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:56 pm

Hi CongaStu - I'm guessing you're Manchester based, due to association with Inner Sense. Two good percussionists I've seen in Sheffield playing in Manchester groups are Billy Booth and Chris Crookes. Do you know them? Billy in particular I thought was a lovely player, highly proficient on a number of instruments - he played in a group called Amazonia.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby congastu » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:00 am

Hi James and Simon!! Best wishes to
both!!
James- I thought you might of meant 1 and 3 but, hey, the best stuff happens by accident! Maybe it would of been clearer if Id explained the tuning of the drums- the quinto is in the middle, with conga to the left and tumba to the right, but I tune the conga quite low so I can pick up the bass melodies [ in another life, I would have been a bassist!] . The conga plays 1 and 3, picking out the "bim" while the tumba is on 2 and 4 giving it the "boom", if that makes sense!
By the way, is lando a place or a rhythm [dont laugh!]: either way, I havent gone there yet! PS thanks again for all the great info.

Simon- nearly right, mate! Im actually based in Liverpool, but theres quite a lot of crossover with the Manchester guys, so I know quite a few of them. I havent met Chris yet, but a number of fellow band members work with him, and he should be over soon to guest in a latin-jazz band I play for. While were on that one, we have a residency in Liverpool every Sunday, so if youre in the area, pop down for a jam: fellow percussionists always welcome! Its lead by the saxophonist Dave Edge of the Brasshoppers, whose background is more straight jazz, so its always an interesting hotpot of stuff.
As for Billy Booth, I dont know that name- might you mean Andy Boothman? He has a real reputation for congas in Manchester and for being deep into the folkloric traditions. He also organises training courses in Cuba: again I dont know him personally but I can get all the contact info if you were interested.
Peace and love, stu
PS great to find more players in the North of England
congastu

Postby James M » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:52 am

Hey, you're welcome! Lando is an Afro-Peruvian music in a slow 6/8 groove. Lando is a Vals Criollo given more African rhythmic interpretation. Various types of guitars play syncopated melodies, and uses (obviously) cajon drums (cajones?), cajitas, occasional quijada-de-burros, and guatacas, as well as congas. It's always in the phrygian mode.

You can hear huayno influences in the strumming patterns, and the guitar lines are based on the 6/8 clave, especially emphasizing the syncopation of the 2nd bar.

From all the lando I've heard there seems to be alot of variation and improvization in the rhythm sections, but this the most standard rhythmic base:

x.xxxx.x.x.x

http://www.afropop.org/radio/program_stream/ID/4/ai/1
James M

Postby congastu » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:43 pm

Nice one, James
I think youve cleared something up for me. Ive been working with a Puertan Rican percussionist recently, and hes really into his cajone. He told me that he much preferred the Peruvian styles, and could relate that more to the djembe, but, to be honest, I didnt know what he was going on about! All I knew was that wherever he was coming from, it sounded fantastic!
Keep up the good work, Congastu
congastu

Postby CongaBoy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:15 pm

Hi All,

Since the Brazillian Clave and the Rumba Clave are similar, You can play a Guaguanco type rhythm that fits very well with slower Bossa tunes. Let me know if this works for anyone. :cool:
CongaBoy

Postby Diceman » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:54 pm

Not so sure that the Brazilian and Rumba claves are the same, unless I am missing something.

Brazilian
o..o..o...o..o..

Rumba
o..o...o..o.o...

suave
Diceman

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises