pilon rhythm

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

pilon rhythm

Postby bamiya » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:36 am

i saw panga playing it, does anyone knows the origin and purpose.
bamiya

Re: pilon rhythmother

Postby TONE74 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:09 am

Pilon comes from Pacho Alonso's band back in the 60's. And the conga rhythm is what goes with it so thats what panga is showing. I don't think many people outside of Cuba are familiar with it. His son Pachito Alonso (Pachito Alonso y su Kini Kini ) uses it in some of his cds which were really popular in cuba in the 90s. I'm sure it can be used in other styles too. I'm not 100% sure but I think I've heard Maraca do pilon too I have to look in my collection.
TONE74

Re: pilon rhythm

Postby TONE74 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:25 am

Yes! Maraca did one on Descarga Total. Track #3 Pa' Gozar Pilon. Just listen to the timbales and bell plus the congas and you notice the swing of it.
TONE74

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:52 am

In my previous Timba band I played with here, we had 2 Pilon based tracks.
I can do a video and upload to youtube if you would like to see the basic movements of Pilon.

Actually I just noticed this one by Panga: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-BKzPxwYwc

My version which Anga showed me is virtually the same, only that there is a left SLAP in place of the left TIP which is played before the right SLAP at the commencement of the rythem. And a left SLAP prior to opening the pattern on the Tumba. Basically replace the first and last left TIP with left SLAP.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:24 am

ABAKUA wrote:My version which Anga showed me is virtually the same, only that there is a left SLAP in place of the left TIP which is played before the right SLAP at the commencement of the rythem. And a left SLAP prior to opening the pattern on the Tumba. Basically replace the first and last left TIP with left SLAP.

I was just practicing this rhythm today, two versions, both credited to Anga, from
a workshop he did a few years back.

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
HTSTHTOO oTSTooO (O is low drum, o is high drum)
l l r l l l r r l l rl r l r

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
HTSTHTOO ooHTSTOo
l l r l l l r r lr l l r l r l

It's a pretty fun rhythm. I don't really play any pilon based songs like Abakua, I was just doing it
for the practice.
bongosnotbombs

Postby congamyk » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Tomas Cruz teaches a very funky version of Pilon on Volume II of his instructional DVD.

Additionally, Anga (RIP) demonstrates his funky version of Pilon on the "Anga Mania" DVD.
Anga plays drum kit, timbales and congas.
congamyk

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises