Building callouses

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:52 pm

Whopbamboom ..first i soak my hands to "soften" the callouses, then i use a 'pumus' stone on them one at a time, gently shaving them down with the wet stone. Been doing it for years....I also remember when i shook Ray Baretto's hand,, it even felt like he had NO bones in his hand, actuallly like holding a "bear's" hand, just big and soft. Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby Whopbamboom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:07 pm

Thanks, Johnny! I'll scrub them with a pumice stone in the shower.
Whopbamboom

Postby Whopbamboom » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:58 pm

An update, plus a little tip for others:

I didn't get around to scrubbing with a pumice stone, but-- a few days ago when I was playing on my wooden conga cajon (harder surface than my other drum skins), I started getting that really painful little small callous in the finger joint crack again. It was very painful!

I carefully nipped it off with a pair of fingernail clippers (with FLAT blades, not curved!), and immediately was able to resume playing with little or no pain. I assume that the callous creates a "princess and the pea" situation, bruising my finger every time I strike the drum head. I was amazed how well the clippers worked in an instant for relieving the pain!

So, I'd suggest that people carry in their gig bag a pair of flat-bladed fingernail clippers for emergencies at gigs/sessions. However, I must underscore the fact that the clippers had a flat blade and not a curved blade (I really don't think that curved blades would do a good job at all). I also should caution that they should be used with caution-- you don't want to cut too deep.

I don't know how easily the flat-bladed ones can be obtained these days, though-- the last time I looked in a store, they were only selling curved ones.

One more thing I'll mention... today I'm looking at where that callous was removed, and the callous is still not there. But, it does appear that there is a little wart starting there. Maybe that's what the real root of the problem is. I remember my mother having one of those in the same place. I'll try to get this thing removed the next time I go in for some skin-freezing work.
Whopbamboom

Postby Mano Teo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:00 am

I shook hands with Giovanni at the KoSA percussion workshop the summer before last: his hands were soft as a baby's.

Edited By Mano Teo on 1198231265
Mano Teo

Re: Building callouses

Postby Firebrand » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:54 pm

I'm revisiting this thread, and with a small concern.

On my right hand, ring finger, the second joint (the one closer to the palm) has a small callous on it that pains me to play on it. I suppose I got it from a recent session of playing loudly and doing a lot of slaps.

What can I do to reduce the callous and treat the hand? What's an overall good maintenance routine (creams, etc.) to prevent the building up of such painful callouses on the joints of hands.

I think I'm going to start using my Nexcare Waterproof taping a little more religiously.... :(
Firebrand

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises