Sitting vs. standing

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby hoofbeats » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:09 pm

well I just made my order. I got some of those size adjustable, sitting stands. I can always try standing later once I'm more comfortable with the instrument.
hoofbeats

Postby Rudy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:18 pm

hoofbeats wrote:well, sitting sounds like the more favored choice. Too bad I can't afford a throne after ordering the congas. If I buy a stand I could sit on my led zeppellin bar stool. :D
J/K Ill try it sitting. Ill have to improvise seating tho...

When you buy a throne, be very careful; I had to sell my prized Roc-N-Soc because the "nose" of the seat stuck out too far to allow me to bring the conga (or quinto) in close. I use a cheap Adam hydraulic because the nose is shorter. Or you could get a round throne.

I use the Gibraltar "seated" stands, which elevate the drum about 2 inches off the floor. Gives them extra volume. I will use them on my tumba and one conga and play the main conga bewteen the legs, without a stand, for a traditional feel. If one wants to play seated and use a pedal for a clave block or cowbell, then the "seated" stands really come n handy, freeing up your legs.

I've never seen a tripod conga stand I've liked; if you must play standing, I recommend the basket type stands.
Rudy
Rudy

Postby Tone » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:58 pm

you can also play everything sitting ( including timbales). Look at Anga and his complete siting set up. R.I.P.

peace
tone
Tone

Postby tactikal » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:50 pm

I only ever play standing if I'm playing outdoors as the extra bass they produce makes recording and playing indoors a bit of a headache.
tactikal

Postby CongaTick » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:49 pm

I've been on my feet most of my 65 years, so I'm sitting on my ass as much as I can :;):
CongaTick

Postby pavloconga » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:10 pm

Depending on the gig, I usually play seated, just feels better.

Good point about Anga (R.I.P.), I saw him play with an amazing set up . All seated, and he had no trouble accessing anything he needed, 5 congas, cajon, 2 or 3 footpedals, floor toms, timbales, bells, cymbals etc - (Abakua posted pics of Anga with that set up a while ago).
pavloconga

Postby Chapo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:15 am

"I've been on my feet most of my 65 years, so I'm sitting on my ass as much as I can"

I'm with you on that one Congatick!

Luis
Chapo

Postby Gallichio » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:10 am

I love to play seated and have by bongos on a seated stand, Why not let the stands do all that work.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises