metronome with clave functions... - Is the Boss DB-30 any good?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby korman » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:20 am

MD, which one did you get? Korg or Boss?
korman

Postby burke » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:46 am

Hey good news.

Glad it works for you - you never know- what is ok for one person may not be so great for another.

However I must try a better set of headphones because with my cheap ones the volume is really low.
Burke
burke

Postby jmdriscoll » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:09 pm

Korman, I went with the Korg. I figured that at least the Korg attempted to make real sounds rather than an electronic sounding pulse. Great for practicing against.

Burke.. The korg sounds better to me playing out loud than through my headphones. I just have a set of $25 phillips that surely aren't studio quality, but the clave pulse sounds terrible through my phones too. But oh, it's loud enough fo sho. I can feel the diaphrams in my ear drums oscillating to the pulse of the clave when played through the phones. Gotta keep the volume down on on those things... talk about burning the clave into your consciousness.. :O

Mike
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

"Music and rhythm find their way into secret places of the soul"
jmdriscoll

Postby burke » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:54 pm

burke wrote:Hey Diceman.

Sure you are right about the Bossa Nova Clave ... but when I got it home I kinda thought the same thing about the 6/8 clave ... then I thought about it some more and thought, "Hmmm how can it have a 6/8 clave?"

What I mean is: it has 3/2 and 2/3 clave in both Son and Rumba: but in order to have 6/8 it has to measured against a backround pulse (in 6/8) yes? So since the little box only goes "tick, tick, tick - tick,tick" then it can't really preform the 6/8 function (or conversly it does perform the 6/8 function depending on the pulse).

I’m resurrecting this old post because of a recent discovery. I think I was wrong when I made my point about 4/4 vs 6/8 clave on a metronome being the same.

I was trying to play some a 6/8 Pilon with my trusty Korg set on son clave. I could NOT do it. Thinking it was my ears I tried to just find the pulse for 6/8 against the Korg.

Wouldn’t happen. So I went back to a real old way I’d taught myself some clave basics.

For son in 4/4 (O being the clave)

L R L R L R L R / L R L R L R L R
O P P O P P O P / P P O P O P P P

and played that against the machine - lined up perfectly

For son in 6/8

L R L R L R / L R L R L R
O P O P O P / P O P O P P

The three side lined up but the 2 side didn’t - I’m 99% certain it wasn’t me.

Any of you fellow Korg owners want to try this - I’d be very interested to have this confirmed?

It means that a clave metronome does need to have 6/8 as an additional function and I can’t really use it for 6/8 clave.
Burke
burke

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises