metronome with clave functions... - Is the Boss DB-30 any good?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby jmdriscoll » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:55 pm

Hello everybody, I have a question about the Boss DB-30 metronome. If anybody who owns one of these or a similar model can help me, I would very thankful.. "I hate buying stuff only to find out that it was not what you had pictured"

Just as a precursor... I have a Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-3 Drum machine that allows me to create clave, bell, shaker patterns etc.. and that is great for around the house when I am practicing at home. I just plug it into my stereo and off we go with a clave pattern to play against. I have been dragging it back and forth to work with me because I practice during my lunch hour, and it has become somewhat cumbersome to bring it in and take it home every day. I am looking at the DB-30 because it's size makes it like a clave machine that fits into my front pocket.

I am considering buying the Boss DB-30 for when I practice on the go. The DB-30 claims to play 9 different clave patterns.. I would assume that included in these patterns is 3/2 and 2/3 rumba and son clave. What I am wondering is about the details of this device in relation to volume and also sound.

#1) Is the volume sufficient enough where I would be able to hear it through headphones while playing the congas?

#2) does the clave sound totally MIDI sounding or does it sound like a real clave? This is not as important because hearing the pulse is what matters to me the most.

Anybody familiar with this metronome or any other similar sized metronome that does clave functions? Your take on them? good, bad, indifferent?

MD :cool:

Edited By jmdriscoll on 1188226689
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

"Music and rhythm find their way into secret places of the soul"
jmdriscoll

Postby Tonio » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:07 pm

Md, for the price, I'd say go for it. Much more than just a metronome, and you need one anyway.

The sound volume, at least in the demo says its loud enough in noisy environments, so I would assume its loud enough.

T
Tonio

Postby Derbeno » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:26 am

Have a look and see if you like percussion studio. You can program the claves and add the metronome function with the accent on any of the beats

http://www.henrykellner.com/PercussionStudio/

I bought the license and use it on my work PC as well

Edited By Derbeno on 1188260843
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby jmdriscoll » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:55 am

I actually have the free version of Percussion Studio. Thats a great application and pretty easy to use once you get the initial feel for it. Since getting the DR-3 though, I just use that instead as I have it tied to my stereo through RCA plugs, plus it's smaller than a laptop in regards to portability. I'm just looking for something even more portable since I practice away from home a lot. The DB-30 looked ideal because you can hang it around your neck like an mp3 player. Anyway, I went to the music store yesterday to check out the DB-30 in person. For a metronome, it seems like a great little device, but for a clave, it is far from desirable in my opinion. It beeps out the clave pattern in an electric metronome pulse sound. I didn't even see where it made a distinction between rumba and son clave. Maybe it did and I just overlooked it in the directions.. None the less, I have been spoiled by having the DR-3 to provide my clave. I think that for now I'll just continue to take it with me when I practice away from home. No big deal.. I guess that some people have worse dillemma's to cry about. :D

MD

Edited By jmdriscoll on 1188302505
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

jmdriscoll

Postby Diceman » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:55 pm

You could try a Korg KDM-2
Diceman

Postby jmdriscoll » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:57 pm

Diceman, thanks for the info. Somebody else told me about that a little while ago, but I forgot all about it. I checked out Korgs site and they say that it produces a clave sound and does 2/3, 3/2 rumba and son clave...it's only about 4" squared. That might be just what I need. Now I just need to see if any stores have one locally so that I can listen before I buy. :)

MD

Edited By jmdriscoll on 1188417530

jmdriscoll

Postby burke » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:31 pm

I looked at both the Boss and the above mentioned Korg -I bought the Korg and and very happy with it. However I don't use it the way you plan. I plug it into my home blaster and get plenty enough volume. With head phones it would be close. I just tried it and it worked but I would prefer it louder. It has a fair clave a sound but in the phones its not so good. It has a couple other metallic sounds like a bell that cuts through a little more.

Also bear in mind I was using a set of Dollar store headphones - maybe with better ones...,I'm a serious hobbist so maybe if you are a pro you are going to be way louder than me which is another factor.

To sum up - for my needs at home its great and I'm really glad I shelled out the $. For your purpose - no garrentees. I'd try it in store if I were you.

ps. it has some other features besides clave I didn't think I'd care about but am also finding useful. When I was looking its specs sheet was available online at korg.
Burke
burke

Postby Diceman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:00 pm

If anyone from Korg is looking in--it could also do with a 6/8 and a bossa nova clave.

Looking out for the KDM-3?
Diceman

Postby jmdriscoll » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:56 am

Burke, hey thanks for the reply. Good to know that somebody can vouch for it being a decent device. I ended up ordering it blindly because nobody had any locally.

MD

jmdriscoll

Postby burke » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:45 pm

Hey no problem MD - but as I said there are some cavets (sp?). Hope you aren't diappointed and please let us know what you think when it arrives.

Cheers
Burke
burke

Postby burke » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:04 pm

Hey Diceman.

Sure you are right about the Bossa Nova Clave ... but when I got it home I kinda thought the same thing about the 6/8 clave ... then I thought about it some more and thought, "Hmmm how can it have a 6/8 clave?"

What I mean is: it has 3/2 and 2/3 clave in both Son and Rumba: but in order to have 6/8 it has to measured against a backround pulse (in 6/8) yes? So since the little box only goes "tick, tick, tick - tick,tick" then it can't really preform the 6/8 function (or conversly it does perform the 6/8 function depending on the pulse).

This is yet another opportunity for me to get an education! (seriously - I may be missing something very basic here - which is why I love this forum)
Burke
burke

Postby Diceman » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:14 am

You make a good point Burke, as strictly speaking, the Rumba and 6/8 clave are the same.

I guess I should have said the 6/8 bell pattern which has the rumba clave in it

X-X-xX-X-X-x =Bell pattern (caps =Rumba Clave)

The 6/8 bell pattern is good to practice against especially if the light pulsed in 4!

Anyone else have a view?

Enjoy your Korg, they certainly show up any shakey timing (in my experience)

Suave
Diceman

Postby burke » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:05 pm

You surely correct about the timing!

When I started working with tumbaos and son - no problem - things line up - starts one the one lots of reference strokes matching your place in the clave - pretty easy.

Rumba clave & Guaguanco! Whole other ball game!!. The only thing that helped me line up was the base note on the bomba - I actually ended up recording the rumba clave from the Korg with me whacking a drum on the bomba note for five minutes so I'd have that auditory reference point.

Getting easier but lord it was painful at first (and humbling).
Burke
burke

Postby Diceman » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:16 pm

IF IT DOESNT KILL YOU, IT DOES YOU GOOD :D :laugh:
Diceman

Postby jmdriscoll » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:04 pm

Hey, I picked up that metronome. Aside from the sounds being MIDI'ish as expected, it cuts through the drums pretty good by it self. With headphones on, I have NO problems hearing the clave. I practiced with it yesterday and it was very easy for me to keep track of the clave pulse. :)

MD

jmdriscoll

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises