what are your favorites rumba records

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

what are your favorites rumba records

Postby Tone » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:36 am

Hello my fellow congueros,

I was looking to buy some rumba cds on descarga, but there are too many to chose from.
Can you recommend some on descarga or elsewhere.

abraços
tone
Tone

Re: what are your favorites rumba records

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:38 pm

Phew, there are so many fine rumba records around.

Two must-haves in my opinion because they are so authentic and well done respectively:

Conjunto Folklorico Nacional de Cuba: Música Yoruba http://www.descarga.com/cgi-bin/db/1473 ... xpoiE;;164

Patato y Totico http://www.descarga.com/cgi-bin/db/1135 ... 6xpoiE;;50

But these are just 2 out of 200.000!

My 2-3 clave cents :mrgreen:
And greeting to Rio

P.S.: Practically everything from Grupo Afrocuba De Matanzas would do to listen for days...
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:00 pm

You cant go passed the real source... Look out for the following Cuban groups:

Los Muñequitos de Matanzas
Los Papines
Celeste Mendoza
Carlos Embales
Conjunto de Clave Y Guaguanco
AfroCuba de Matanzas
Conjunto Folklorico Nacional de Cuba
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby guarachon63 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:51 pm

One of my all-time favorites is by Yoruba Andabo and has never been released commercially but is available for free download here.

(The story of these recordings is here.)

I have a lot of favorites but two that are readily available and have provided the most "return on investment are":

Yoruba Andabo: El Callejón de los Rumberos

Los Muñequitos de Matanzas: Rumba Caliente 88/77

I would also highly recommend the Patato y Totico record mentioned above for those looking for a very accessible introduction to the genre. Also note the Conjunto Folklorico album mentioned is not rumba but rather santo/batá music.
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby Mike » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:05 pm

How embarrassing, I really forgot to mention Los Muñequitos de Matanzas :oops:

As to accessibility: It also depends on what you understand by rumba.
Tone, do you want secular rumba music, or traditional religious, ceremonial music?
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Congadelica » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:16 pm

guarachon63 wrote:One of my all-time favorites is by Yoruba Andabo and has never been released commercially but is available for free download here.

(The story of these recordings is here.)

I have a lot of favorites but two that are readily available and have provided the most "return on investment are":

Yoruba Andabo: El Callejón de los Rumberos

Los Muñequitos de Matanzas: Rumba Caliente 88/77

I would also highly recommend the Patato y Totico record mentioned above for those looking for a very accessible introduction to the genre. Also note the Conjunto Folklorico album mentioned is not rumba but rather santo/batá music.

Barry ,
you beat me to it , we have the same taste bro. but one of my fave Cd`s is Vacunao Los Munequitos De matanzas . Also for a little different Clave Y Guaguanco Songa and Dances Album worth a listen some nice tonada`s very melodic
. I would also like to thank you for sharing the Cajones Bullengeuro CD the work you done is awesome . This is one of my Rumba cd`s atm Im learning the title track a very patriotic song .

Gracias Hermano

Marco
Congadelica

Postby Psych1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:17 pm

Well, if "accessible" is a standard there are 2 albums that I listened to a lot and they helped me get going. In the mid 70's LP put out a series of disks designed to help them sell instruments. They were recorded so that you could really here each seperate instrument and there was a variety. They may not have been great but to me it was a bunch of guys who knew what they were doing and really were having fun doing it. The 2 best for me were "Ready For Freddy" and "Authority". LP has them on their web site, they are often on sale, and they mail them anywhere.

I have no idea what the others here think of them, Probably get flamed for mentioning them, but I wore them out in the days before CD's amd MP3's.
Psych1

Postby TONE74 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:54 pm

I would also recomend Rumberos de Cuba and Pancho Quinto
TONE74

Postby flaco999 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:34 pm

Everything Abakua said.
flaco999

Postby Tone » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks guys,

maybe I should have been a bit more precise. Of course I know most the names mentioned, and already own some of the cds mentioned.
I was after some specific albums, ideally on Descarga so I can buy them online.
It is really rumba I am after at the moment.
There are so many albums from the Muniquitos for example and the quality varies wildly, so I was after some tips to zoom on the great ones.

Thanks for the input and keep it coming....!

peace
tone
Tone

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:02 pm

The Real Rumba from Cuba CD is brilliant, excellent tracks by a variety of rumba groups.
bongosnotbombs

Postby vinnieludovico » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:18 am

Any body hip to "Toticos y sus rumberos",a NYC recorded rumba with the late Puntilla and some great quinto playing by a young Jerry Gonzalez.Also has got some very cool examples of Bata Rumba(Cha Cha Lokuafun w/guaguanco !.Definitely one of my favorites of rumba played outside of Cuba.
vinnieludovico

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:13 pm

vinnieludovico wrote:Any body hip to "Toticos y sus rumberos",a NYC recorded rumba with the late Puntilla and some great quinto playing by a young Jerry Gonzalez.Also has got some very cool examples of Bata Rumba(Cha Cha Lokuafun w/guaguanco !.Definitely one of my favorites of rumba played outside of Cuba.

+1
bongosnotbombs

Postby guarachon63 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:38 pm

Tone wrote:
I was after some specific albums, ideally on Descarga so I can buy them online.
It is really rumba I am after at the moment.
There are so many albums from the Muniquitos for example and the quality varies wildly, so I was after some tips to zoom on the great ones.

Descarga has a pretty lousy selection of Los Muñequitos, because sadly most of the good ones are out of print.

I generally think anything they recorded up to and including 1996's "Ito Iban Echu" (which is not rumba but a great, great record) is of the highest possible quality. Pretty much everything after that can be safely skipped. If you really want to order from Descarga the one I would recommend is "Rumba Abierta," classic recordings from the 1950s.

Amazon has a bigger selection of the out of print stuff but their used suppliers are asking outrageous prices for some of them.
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby jaemacho » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:00 pm

I highly reccommend Gregorio Hernandez (EL Goyo) - La Rumba Es Cubana. This album has everything you need in a rumba album.
jaemacho

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises