Playing with Drummers - What should they play?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby OLSONGO » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:21 pm

Another viable piece of information, that came up in a conversation with Tommy Brechline ( Drummer with Al D'Meola, Robin Ford, Natalie Cole) and also with Portinho ( drummer with Gato Barbieri, Paquito D'Rivera) As a drummer you should dance the rhythm on the drum set , as if you where dancing on the floor and project that swing to the music.

Paz Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:00 pm

Hence the title of "Dance Musician".....Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragenca » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:54 pm

I remember Portinho, the first time that Paquito D'Rivera came to the Rokefeller Club,(in Houston), and the first time I got to talk to him after he got out of Cuba, we started remembering the jamming at 'Rio' Club.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby OLSONGO » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:37 pm

Yes Portinho I had the opportunity to meet him when I was the percussionist with pianist Manfredo Fest , Portinho was a hand percussionist , before he moved on to the drum set, very versed in Brazilian percussion and jazz; showed me somethings on the padeiro.

Paz Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby Diceman » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:28 pm

Dancing the rhythm-great way to describe a drummer's role.
The percussionist can then add the spice and flavour, what a combination.

And if Portinho was a hand percussionist first, that has to make him a great drummer.

suave
Diceman

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:53 pm

Mario of Isla Percussions had some comments on playing with
jazz drummers. I've been talking to him about some drums, anyways...

The best combo for playing
Congas with traps is for the trap drummer to play
mainly the snare high hat and sparse foot drum because
the tom toms get in the way of the Congas (they are
similar in tone). You also don't want to be to close to
the drummers snare because it will rattle. You also
want to be on a higher frequency than the bass drum for
dynamics. (Mario)
bongosnotbombs

Postby jorge » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:48 pm

That may be true for jazz drummers that don't know anything about clave, but not for drummers that know how to play with congas. In modern Cuban timba and songo, some of the nicest interactions between the congas and the bateria (traps) happen on the toms. The toms and congas are tuned so they fit. Listen to Van Van, Mayito (Llego la Hora), Pupy Pedroso, lots of others. You sometimes can't tell the toms from muffled tones on the congas, they are so tight and well integrated. The toms can make the rhythm KICK if they are tuned and played right. In fact, you are in the bay area, go check out Jesus Diaz' band with Colin Douglas on drums. Then come back and tell us about it.

Edited By jorge on 1191603115
jorge

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:20 pm

Jorge I think your right, Mario and I were talking about straight jazz played without clave.
bongosnotbombs

Postby OLSONGO » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:25 pm

Dice yes Portinho is a very tasty drummer.

Jorge of the drummers that I run into ... jazz drummer are the only ones to at least have some knowledge of the 3-2 clave. And yes you can move the toms with the congas similar to the quinto and tumba moving in the rumba.

Paz Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby Diceman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:17 am

Great input brothers!!

I am starting rehearsals soon, can anyone post a simple typical drum pattern for a mambo for example, and any other parts. At the moment all I can suggest to them is timbales grooves eg cascara and clave, baqueteo and various bell patterns. Should the bombo be emphasised on the bass drum etc etc?

Any guidance from the wealth of drumming experience on this excellent site would be most welcome.

Suave
Diceman

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:24 pm

Save your self the time and find a drummer that KNOWS what he is doing or it will take forever to get anywhere...having "friends" in the band that don't play , doesn't help,if that is the case...and you really can't wait on a cat to play "catch up" with everyone else....my 3 congas...Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Diceman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:54 pm

JC,

I know what you mean man, but you probably have a bigger choice of latin drummers to choose from in the US. I know good drummers that read but who dont know percussion based music that well, and it would probably only take a chart or two to put them on the right track.

As I said I could show them timbales stuff, but I may as well get a timbalero, which is not what I want.
Appreciate your feedback

Suave
Diceman

Postby Quinto Governor II » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:56 pm

Sorry Diceman I don't have any answers to your last question. I found this video and was wondering if the experience guys could critique the percussion section of this band. I think they're very tight. Not to mention the whole band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EPlABN4uA4
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby Tonio » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:04 pm

Yeah, thats good stuff. See the trap drummer is mostly on hi-hats during the verse, and goes to ride cymbal on the mambo sections and uses tom fills to interject a movement between sections. Thats what makes it clean, with holes for each instrument to come through.
Dice, a chart will help, but you need to let the trap drummer know to use the traditional patterns on hi-hats, bells etc.

T
Tonio

Postby Diceman » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:06 am

Governor and Tonio,

Thanks for feedback.
The Youtube is good and they rock, it is all about simplicity and knowledge.

Thanks again
suave
Diceman

PreviousNext

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises