conga solo advice

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

conga solo advice

Postby martingoodson » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:03 am

How do you control you volume when your playing so that your solo is loud enough. Just by playing reaally hard or should the sound engineer turn the volume up for your solo section.

Really appreciate people's point of view on this.

thanks
martin
martingoodson

Re: conga solo advice

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:51 pm

I would say you control your "power' thru "dynamics" in your playing...soloing should have a beginning a middle and an end...remember if u start off with your end, there is no where to go..."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:54 am

Agree with JC's 4 congas worth. 8)

Sound guy shouldnt be fiddling with your sound unless of course you have a complete solo section piece ie whole band drops out and you play a solo piece on your own, ie reverb can be added for effect etc etc
Other than that, should up to you to control your solo section, its like any arrangement, an intro, mid section and outro as JC stated, this was also Anga's theory.
An idea could be to start your solo with the simpler smaller chops, build up into any rolls or quicker chops and have a series of chops you could use to come out and complete your solo before rejoining the rest of the arrangement.
Band accompanying your solo should be playing at the according dynamics level also in context with the arrangement and style you are playing....
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:51 pm

Abakua why cant we put MP'3s on this site?...i wanted to post a conga solo from a recording I did...for those interested in soloing...Gracias.."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby thomas newton » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:06 pm

Ever tried BitTorrent JC? http://www.bittorrent.com/

I'm not associated with it but, its perfect for this job imo.
Tradition is not the custody of ashes but the propagation of fire.
thomas newton

Postby Tonio » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:33 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Abakua why cant we put MP'3s on this site?...i wanted to post a conga solo from a recording I did...for those interested in soloing...Gracias.."JC" Johnny Conga

it would be easier. you need to post it elsewhere and post a link.

myspace, youplub, etc etc

T
Tonio

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:39 pm

Vaya JC, Yep, as Tonio mentioned, needs to be hosted elsewhere, then linked on to here.
This forums software doesnt have a feature where one can upload audio and host a track, same with video, you cant upload a video onto this forum and have it hosted here in the way youtube does.
Your file needs to be hosted elsewhere, then linked back onto here.
Only image files can be uploaded onto here from your computer and hosted for others to view/download onto their machines.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pcastag » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:40 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:I would say you control your "power' thru "dynamics" in your playing...soloing should have a beginning a middle and an end...remember if u start off with your end, there is no where to go..."JC" Johnny Conga

except for back to the beginning!
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:26 am

Ok you can goto http://www.myspace.com/jcjohnnyconga listen to the tune Conganation and the "quinto" solo through out and how i call and respond on it, and the phrasing i use.. then got to the tune Rush Hour and listen to what I call an "ol skool" conga solo, simple,open,clear, and defined....and also u have so many "measures" that you have to solo in , so u have to be able to count or "feel" those measures as they go by...count the bars of my solo and let me know how many there were in my solo time...and then try that on your own, take so many measures, start with 4 bar solo, then 8 , then 16, then 24, then 36 and try to solo within them...remember u have to land back on the one to come out of it, with the band...know where your one is...."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby martingoodson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:26 pm

nice solos johnny!
and thanks everyone for the information - actually, I am not so much asking for advice on how to solo as how to make the solo heard above the sound of the other instruments. The tumbao shouldn't be as loud as the solo should it? so do you play the solo much louder than the tumbao?

thanks again
martin
martingoodson

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Volume in soloing is based on ones individual prowess...and loudness does not make a solo, it's creativity and imagination...recording wise u can control volume of course..live it's a matter of ur individual approach..some cats are silky smooth in the approach and others like gorillas...they "overplay"...don;t know how to let the solo breath, and "build" the solo gradually to a "climax"....tumbao should be "strong" at all times of course...i hope this answers your question..."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby pavloconga » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:46 am

martingoodson wrote:nice solos johnny!
and thanks everyone for the information - actually, I am not so much asking for advice on how to solo as how to make the solo heard above the sound of the other instruments. The tumbao shouldn't be as loud as the solo should it? so do you play the solo much louder than the tumbao?

thanks again
martin

hi martin,
Part of a solo being noticed and heard is not so much how loud you play etc, but just as important what the rest of the band does during your solo.
This is the same whether it's the pianist, the guitarist or a percussionist taking a solo:
- Are the other players reducing their volume slightly /pulling back a bit on what they play to help put the spotlight and the focus on you?
- Are the other musicians paying attention to the fact that you are doing a solo? Or are they just looking around elsewhere on stage and looking distracted?

This is something I learnt through working with directors in a lot of theatre and music/theatre shows - during a solo the other band members should be subtly putting their attention towards the soloist. This is subtle, yet quite powerful on stage and contributes to the dynamics and professionalism of a band.
The audience will pick up on that cue. Remember, playing music is theatre too.
Pavlo
pavloconga

Postby martingoodson » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Thanks Pavlo
That is a deep piece of advice.

martin
martingoodson

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises