Palm/Tip

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:13 am

Just so u guys know the diference between me and a lot of u guys is just experience, cause I've been learning the "mano secreto" right along with the rest of you, and yes there may be a few things I could teach you Abakua, your well into the intermediate/advanced level. so my question to you is what could I teach you, that you don't already know, my brother?. . . . :D . . .keep up the "good works". . . .Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby Roka » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:33 pm

Thanks, Abakua, very very very usefull episodes. Especially when you live in the country with no drumming traditions at all :)
Roka

Postby jorge » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:36 pm

Marcelo, those are great teaching clips that you have created. They really demonstrate the essence of the mano secreta technique in a way that most students will be able to understand. Breaking things down slow like that, then bringing it up to speed is a very effective teaching method. Gracias mi hermano.
jorge

Postby Tonio » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:49 pm

ABAKUA wrote:Im glad you guys enjoyed the vids, even better if they are serve use to you! I thought that angle would be best to see the hand position etc...
Cool! :cool:

Abakua, excellent educational vids!! Well put together by breaking it down to slow and normal tempos.

It even sounds dcent too!!

T
Tonio

Postby Chapo » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:48 pm

Abakua! Tremendo video! Muchas gracias papa! I haven't been doing it like that but, I can adapt when it is illustrated as you did. Are there many variations to this movement?

Luis
Chapo

Postby Firebrand » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:40 pm

just to add, the exercise that Abakua does in one of the videos is actually the "Single Drag" rudiment, consisting of

R ll-R / L rr-L (the small lefts and rights are the "ruff"

A basic ruff is

ll-R, ll-R / rr-L, rr-L

The drag is done by hitting with right first and then a Right ruff (two small fast mano secreta movements on the left hand plus a right stroke), and the same for the left hand.

What abakua is doing (if I understood him correctly) is that he's hitting the initial stroke as an open tone, following with a ruff that ends with a closed slap.

For anyone interested, the rudiment he is doing is available in written format (as well as all other 86 rudiments) from a PDF I have and that I can send around.

Now that I know how to properly do ruffs and double-strokes on congas (using mano secreta), I'm having a blast applying all the rudiments of snare drumming to congas. Cleanliness and loudness of my double-stroke based rudiments has been very perceptible improved! I haven't so psyched in quite a long time. here I am doing hand movements that I thought I'd never get and that had seen only greats like Giovanni, Richie and others do. :D

Edited By Firebrand on 1195602261
Firebrand

Postby ozrivera » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:23 pm

ozrivera wrote:Salduos Hermanos

actually theres another downloader that actually downloads the vids from youtube and other video hosting sites to a directory as an mpeg. and you burn it to a dvd from there. i have burned many videos from youtube to dvd's. ill get the name whenever i get home. im working right now. hehe

marcelo
great technique and hand speed brother. thanks for the post

suave

oz

Saludos Hermanos

here is a video downloader that will actually download videos from youtube and other video sites and save them in mpeg, avi, and other standard video formats.
most video downloaders will download on a .flv file extension that cant be played by windows media player or quick time. this one is also very easy to use.

Vdownloader 0.61

here is the link for the download site.
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/VDownloader-Download-51327.html

enjoy

Ozzie
Pa-tra ni-pa cojer impulso.
ozrivera

Postby CongaTick » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:37 pm

ABAKUA,

Sorry to be a pest, but your prior exceptionally helpful video posting of the "mano secreta"/ruff is gone from youtube. Computer crash emptied all my saved stuff, including that gem of instructional help. Any chance of reposting or is it gone forever?
CongaTick

Postby Laurent Lamy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:58 pm

CongaTick wrote:ABAKUA,

Sorry to be a pest, but your prior exceptionally helpful video posting of the "mano secreta"/ruff is gone from youtube. Computer crash emptied all my saved stuff, including that gem of instructional help. Any chance of reposting or is it gone forever?

I make the same demand !
Laurent Lamy

Postby congamyk » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:05 pm

Yeah... I didn't get to see them in the first place. :(

Abakua can you bring em back?
congamyk

Postby afrocubarico » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:07 pm

Laurent,
Very nice brother! You and Abakua have inspired me to practice those "mano secreta" techniques. Very much appreciated. Thanks again!

Abakua,
I second congatick's request. Thanks!

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:18 am

Cool vid there Laurent. Nice examples. :cool:

About my vids,
I accidently took them down while trying to edit my vids.

Ive received a few messages asking for them, I will try to upload them again 2moro.
They showed the basic mano secreta technique as developed by Changuito and shown to me by Anga.
From there, one can develop them into what you see Laurent (ZunZun) doing in his clip.

Great technique there Laurent.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby CongaTick » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:35 pm

Great stuff Laurent. Something for me to aspire to.
CongaTick

Postby Laurent Lamy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:55 pm

My pleasure !
Laurent Lamy

PreviousNext

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises