Taping hands - Out of style??

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby CongaTick » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:26 pm

Yeah, you're probably right about the macho/fashion statement by some congueros. Unfortunately some of us with long-standing calluses know the pain of splits. For me they show up every winter, same fingers, same place. I think the Cuban weather/humidity could be a big help in avoiding this condition. I know during the warmer months I have little if any problem playing hard.
CongaTick

Postby BMac » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:30 pm

Without diving into whether you should or shouldn't use tape, I recommend using cloth sport tape for those who want to use tape. I find it forms to my fingers and stays put better than medical tapes or anything else. I've tried white and black and don't recall any performance differences. I'd prefer black ... to look more like a ninja than a burn victim ... but usually only find white available. I use it only to halt the progression of existing injuries ... and it works great. So look more to the sporting section in the store than the medical ... although it sometimes is found in both. Unfortunately, if I've got any trace of lotion or shea butter or whatever on my hands ... this tape won't stick but can wrap around and grab itself ... somewhat.

This tape comes in wide rolls and is easy to tear. You don't need any scissors. You can tear it to split the width so the roll provides more than one available strip at varying widths according to your preference for different fingers etc. I do find it takes a couple of layers to stay put so I roll it twice across a finger section or spiral it across a joint from one section to the next if needed.

As far as function over fashion goes, I think tape looks like crap no matter what you do or what color you use. I find it more necessary in winter than summer ... its' need is a function of both temperature and humidity. My two year old son, on the other hand, insists on taping up if I'm wearing tape when we play even though he's never got any cracks. I've tried reasoning with him but the boy doesn't listen.

Cheers
BMac
BMac

Postby Gallichio » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:50 pm

Zumbi.
My last name is spelled Gallichio. I went back and modified the post so I would not offend anyone. Is that better?
MAMAMIA!

Edited By Gallichio on 1202166376
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby CongaTick » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:10 pm

Bmac.

Absolutely right about the Sports Tape. After researching them all, that's the one that has worked for me with execellent, protective results.
CongaTick

Postby zumbi » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:06 pm

non c'e' problema!
tutto a posto amico,
(no problem, everything's fine my friend)
sorry for the misspelling of the last name, where in italy is your family from?
peace!
zumbi

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises