Timba and Mazacote - Basic parts?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:14 pm

I would take timba over that any day!
davidpenalosa

Postby guarachon63 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:20 pm

I have to add that I do not HATE Timba! It just doesn't get to me somehow. Currently I re-discover 70's and 80's Salsa, and I feel fine with it. I wish I could dig all that modern stuff, 'cause it might make me look less Jurassic. But I just can't help it.

Hi Thomas, I had kind of a hard time with Timba at first too, but then I realized I just had to be very selective - there are very few entire albums of Timba I would recommend, but there are many individual songs that I now just couldn't live without. Ask some friends who are into it to compile a "favorites" compilation, maybe that will help.

saludos
barry
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby caballoballo » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:53 pm

David going back to the Timba sound. Yes different rhytms executed at different parts of the world tend to have variation from the original sound but the essence is the same. Salsa bands from P.R & N.Y sound alike but Salsa bands from Colombia & Venezuela differ a little, the same with Bands from California & other places, they differ somewhat from the P.R & N.Y sound but the essence is the same. It is like everybody adding his own taste to the original sound. As long as the Clave is on time I would have no problem dancing.

Edited By caballoballo on 1202684581
Josean
caballoballo

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:21 pm

caballoballo wrote:As long as the Clave is on time I would have no problem dancing.

But you haven't danced while guajeo displacements occured have you?

Edited By davidpenalosa on 1202692919
davidpenalosa

Postby Thomas Altmann » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:06 am

davidpenalosa wrote:I'm surprised to hear that the Buena Vista Social Club repertoire is the standard fair in Hamburg. Is that the prevalent trend for Latin dance clubs in the rest of Germany and neighboring EU countries?

David: I cannot tell you for sure, naturally. I suppose the situation is slightly different in Roman speaking southern countries like Italy, Spain (of course!), and France, too. But remember that even in Havana, wherever the presence of Western tourists is suspected, they immediately position a band to play Chan Chan. They must know why.

Barry: Sure, you are right. Last year I saw Manolito's band on Cuban TV, and that really turned me on. I also heard a number in the radio there with what I thought was a great violin player who "sang" the gallo's part in a Guaguanco ("Violin a Changó"?), and I was told it was Siakará or so (never heard of it). The Cubans who were with me didn't know I was a musician, and when they noticed I was getting off on that, they were almost surprised to realize that this "yuma" or "temba" could feel the music similarly as they did.

Apropos, for example: one of the reasons why I don't feel addressed by Timba music is also because it reflects the more (or less!) hidden or restrained hostility of many young Cubans. It is reflected in the lyrics, the music, even in the sound mix. I sense that I am probably the last person that this music wants to reach. In other words, it is simply not MY music, and it isn't supposed to be, either.

Same thing with Hip Hop.

TA

Edited By Thomas Altmann on 1202692760
Thomas Altmann

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises