Synthetic Conga Heads

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby mozambique » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:54 am

??? Can anyone Recommend a good Synthetic head for my Giovannis?
Remo Nuskin Tucked vs Fiberskyn vs Evans ?? I've been mounting my own heads
but am curious and would like to try a synthetic. But at approx 50 bucks a pop I'd like to get educated first.
Peace
M
mozambique

Postby morty » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:35 am

this is an interesting discussion. has anyone seen these yet? they look pretty cool!

http://remo.com/portal/products/3/12/695/718/sd_crimplock_symmetr.html

http://remo.com/portal/products/3/12/695/719/sd_tucked.html

Edited By morty on 1202362574
morty

Postby caballoballo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:08 am

Mozambique, the most commonly use is the Fyberskin either tucket or crimped.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby akdom » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:14 am

Why would you want plastic on good drums??? are you aware of the difference of sound?

B
akdom

Postby G-Man » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:01 pm

mozambique,

I have a set of Gio's with the Remo Nuskyns on them and they ring like churchbells! I am in the process of putting new high quality cowskins on them.

I'll probably keep the Nuskyns for those hot or damp outside gigs. However, if I were to buy new synthetic skins, I'd get the Remo Mondos (fiberskyn). They look and feel so much better than the Nuskyns...IMO.

Good luck.

G :cool:
What comes from the heart, goes to the heart
G-Man

Postby BMac » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:58 pm

I've owned and played the Fiberskyns and the Evan Tri-centers. I prefer the Fiberskyns.

The Fiberskyns:
The upper Tyvek layer on the Fiberskyns has texture that is somewhat like that of natural skin ... it's a bit porous like paper so the hands can grab it a bit. The Fiberskyns upper layer is a bit susceptible to damage from rings and sticks. Not all is lost though ... minimal damages smooth out with playing ... almost like a healing skin. I have some crimped Fiberskyns ... I'd like to try tucked Fiberskyns. My Fiberskyns are much thinner than typical hide conga heads ... they're high-pitched and bright sounding. I think they're louder than hide but not as musical.

The Tri-centers:
Even though the Tri-centers have a matte finish, they're non-porous and slippery to my hands. The powdered-matte finish bugs me and I think they are more ringy than the other synthetic choices. The Tri-centers may be susceptible to pulling away from their crimped support rings so take your time, read the instructions, and tune them slowly if you get the Tri-centers. ... they're not indestructible. I'd be especially concerned about tightening and loosening them many times, but haven't tried it. I gave up my Tri-centers a few years ago so my remarks may be out of date.

I can't say much about the Nuskyns. The Nuskyns I've seen up close have all been tucked, not crimped, have all been much thicker than my Fiberskyns, and sounded perhaps more like hide than my thin Fiberskyns.

What I'd like to know:
Are all Fiberskyns thin and all Nuskyns thick?

When I look at the following link, I wonder if the tucked Fiberskyns differ from the Nuskyns only in that the Fiberskyns have the upper textured layer added:
http://www.drumsoloartist.com/Site/Drum_Catalogs/remo.pdf

Anybody know?

But over all other materials I've tried, I like natural steer hide, which are of course tucked. So, if I was shopping for a synthetic head, I'd be looking for a thick tucked Fiberskyn ... if thick Fiberskyns exist, I dunno.

Cheers
BMac

Edited By BMac on 1202757163
BMac

Postby mozambique » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:39 am

Thanks BMac
Lot's of great info.I have an email into Remo regarding just exactly the difference between Nu-skyn and Fiberskynand will post it as soon as they respond
Cheers
Mozambique
mozambique

Re:

Postby Roka » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:49 am

mozambique wrote:Thanks BMac
Lot's of great info.I have an email into Remo regarding just exactly the difference between Nu-skyn and Fiberskynand will post it as soon as they respond
Cheers
Mozambique

Did they responded ?
I'm very interesting in this "Fiber vs Nuskyn" problem ...
Roka

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises