Congas and contempory music - patterns for funk etc

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby No.2-1820 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi all, just wondered if any one wanted to chat or share ideas regarding congas in other settings, in particular funk. I am an obsessive student of Afro Cuban rhythms but also have a big interest in applying the congas in other musical situations. I'm a big fan of Henry Gibson, Curtis Mayfield's percussionist and like to try and decode what he was doing. He seems to actually place a loose variation of Guaguanco in a number of songs ('Move on up' for example). It's these kind of things that interest me, do you guys tend to apply Cuban rhythms to different music ? Do you shadow the trap drums ? Just improvise and apply rudiments ? Apply Samba patterns ?

Another big inspiration for me is Eddie "Bongo" Brown who played with Marvin Gaye, I read that he was a fan of Chano Pozo.

Just wondered what you all thought as it seems Cuban applications are clear and well defined but outside of that you are on your own !

Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm a big fan of Henry Gibson, Curtis Mayfield's percussionist

So am I, really groovy stuff.
And yes, "applying" conga patterns to funk etc. works quite well, especially with songo!
Cheers
Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby tfunk » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:06 pm

Hey Barrie,
I too am very interested in the same things, and am a huge fan of both Master Henry Gibson and Eddie "Bongo" Brown.

I try, in my playing to do many of those same things. With the funk/rock band I play with, I tend to use a lot of songo-esque variations, along with tumbao variations with different "swings" that depend a lot on the our kit drummers pattern for the particular tune. I also love Gibsons funked up Gua-Gua grooves and try to incorporate those also (he used congas & bongos together to create some of them).

I think, in funk music, improvising and rudiments figure more during the solo sections and fills you might have. Keeping the groove is the most important thing though.

I believe they are many samba patterns that could be applied to funk grooves but, other than a variation of the partido alto rhythm, I have yet to explore the vast treasure that is Brazilian percussion.

I hope to here some good tips from the many pros here on this topic.

Funk music is my thing for sure. Love it with a passion!

tfunk
twm
tfunk

Postby JimG » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:29 pm

Here's one you might find interesting. Came across it by accident and it's become a favorite funk/groove cd.

The Combustion Collective "Slick" 2004

Find it in itunes or garageband.com. A Seattle funk / groove / jazz / improv somthin. conga player is Abigail Fein. This is their only release that I can find. worth the $8 at itunes. Groove Collective or new mastersounds on steroids.

Cheers,
Jim
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
JimG

Postby No.2-1820 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:05 pm

I'll check that out Jim, thanks. And thanks for the 'songo' tip chaps, I do know the basic pattern and haven't tried that much in different settings, I usually use a straight tumbao, I'll get my Songo on tonight ! I do love the way Gibson would divide the different sections of the rhythms between conga and bongos, sometimes it really does sound like two players, great stuff.

Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby tfunk » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:06 pm

Yeah,
Thanks, pretty cool stuff... on the jazzy inmprov side of the funk, but there are some cool conga and bongs grooves.

Another great resource is a bunch of late 70's, early 80's dance funk like, EWF, The Commodores, Average White Band, Mandril, Kool and the Gang (before 1978), Ohio Players, etc. A lot of times they used some great conga grooves in their tunes.

tfunk
twm
tfunk

Postby No.2-1820 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:15 pm

Do you know of this label tfunk ? Some really great loose percussive gems on there. All new music too, but recorded in a very authentic '70's sound.
http://www.truthandsoulrecords.com/

Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby tfunk » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:34 pm

I have come across that website before, cool stuff. I have heard of Lee Fields, he's out of the Dap Kings Camp in Brooklyn. Wish I could download some of that stuff, I'm all digital these days.

Another really good group is The Spam All-Stars out of Miami. REALLY FUNKY Afro-Cuban driven dance grooves, if you haven't heard it...check it out.

Peace,
Theo
twm
tfunk

Postby umannyt » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:08 pm

tfunk wrote:Another great resource is a bunch of late 70's, early 80's dance funk like, EWF, The Commodores, Average White Band, Mandril, Kool and the Gang (before 1978), Ohio Players, etc. A lot of times they used some great conga grooves in their tunes.

tfunk

No.2-1820,

I agree with tfunk's advice. In addition, I highly recommend looking up live performances of these bands on YouTube or DVD.

All the best bro, :D

Edited By umannyt on 1200348636
umannyt

Postby umannyt » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:16 pm

No.2-1820,

Btw, don't forget one of the best bands ever (funk or otherwise) and my fellow East Bay'rs, the "Tower Of Power". They've got some of the most infectious funk grooves ever!

Best of luck bro, :D
umannyt

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:33 pm

Talk about "Funk!"...this is a band i toured in Germany with, back in 1971, called the "Afro-Directions". Most of the members were from Africa... but get this, they only played James Brown music....Billy Gabo was the singer and would imitate JB by putting on an Afro wig and doing the whole James "dancing" routine...yea that's me at the age of 21 on the gig,playing "Asba" congas from France...Johnny Conga... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 1970_1.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:49 pm

And here i am today with the Top "funk and soul" band in Seattle...check me out on their site, the music was recorded live so u can hear what im playing on the tunes.

http://www.myspace.com/typeaband

Im the one last on on your rght, front row....Johnny Conga

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... _Color.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby No.2-1820 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:45 am

Excellent stuff guys, that's a great picture in '71 Johnny, you are easy to spot in that line up, it was the congas that gave it away of course !! ;) Does your current funk outfit ever make it down to the bay ?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby congamyk » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:50 am

These are great examples of REAL funk and REAL GROOVE.
This has BEEN LOST in this country. Listen to Curtis Mayfield's "Move On Up" and "Ghetto Child". These are great examples of real funk drumming - the drummer keeps a STEADY pace... NO rolls, very few fills (only near the end of the tune) . The drummer allows the conguero to fill and "color" the tune.

Today's drummers are constantly rolling, filling, using dynamics and volume WAY TOO EARLY in the song and destroying the groove. They have no clue.

In order to play congas over these beats, one must have a perfect understanding of the tumbao and how to swing it in each tune.

Move On Up the conguero is using the bongo also. You can get a glimpse of what he is doing here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzsCP5QfcdU

In Ghetto Child the conguero is doing a fantastic job of getting many sounds out of the conga - riffing on the edge of the drum, etc.

Edited By congamyk on 1200359275
congamyk

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:47 am

the brother on Congas IS "Master" Henry Gibson, THE ONE AND ONLY!.....JOHNNY CONGA... :D
JohnnyConga

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises