Speed on congas - How important is speed to you?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Speed on congas - How important is speed to you?

Absolutely Important.
6%
Very Important.
21%
Some what Important.
48%
A Little Important.
12%
Very slightly Important.
6%
Not Important at all.
6%

Total votes : 33

Postby Gallichio » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:22 pm

I was wondering what others think about conga playing being played really fast.
I am guilty sometimes because it is fun, but I wonder, are we moving in the wrong direction? Should we be more concerned about playing for the music or super fast chops? Should we be looking more in the playing of melody or rhythms on the congas? Or all of the above? I do enjoy playing fast sometimes and also enjoy watching / hearing others, but is it really musical? Do just us Conga Players, Drummers, Percussionists like it when a player shows his or her speed? Is it important to fire up the audience with super fast playing? I have heard people say "He is really good" but sometimes, not always I think they mean to say "He is really fast". I think there is so much overplaying these days that it has become the "normal way to play" I would like to know what you think. Thanks.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby CongaTick » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:58 pm

Can't deny that a level of speed is necessary... Question is, do we all need to attain 'RichieFloresSpeed'? I don't think so. Personally, though I practice for fluidity, my focus is in trying to find complimentary note placement. There are congueros who can insert 4 notes into a measure that enhance the feel and surprise us with a geez-I--never-wouldve-thought-of-that wonder. THAT's the code that's hard for me to crack, and where I want be, moreso than a speed demon.
CongaTick

Postby burke » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:18 pm

Since I don't have the genetics or youth needed to ever be that fast - I have decided its not at all important and view it with great distain :;): :;):
[please note the winky, winky emoticon]

Darrell
Burke
burke

Postby G-Man » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:23 pm

Personally, I feel it’s important to develop our own style and sound. These are musical instruments and should be played with the music in mind. If someone wants to build their speed for solos and exhibitions, great, but if you want to remain musical though, staying in rhythm and playing “harmonically” is more important. It doesn’t matter how many drums you have or how fast you can play them that makes one a great conguero.

Mastering the instrument completely is what the challenge is for me. Watching, listening, and learning from other good players is how I am developing my style/sound.

Having the best drums you can afford, listening to all styles of music, learning the basics and rudiments of drumming, developing good habits and technique, and practicing regularly for the rest of your life is what it takes. Speed is just one thing to practice and develop.

Watch some of the youtube videos out there.

One thing I sometimes ponder is what’s next for the conga. I mean when we’re all playing expensive, beautiful drums at breakneck speeds…? Look at how far the conga has come in the past 20 – 30 years. Where is it going to be in the next?

My 2 cents.

G :cool:
What comes from the heart, goes to the heart
G-Man

Postby akdom » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:26 pm

Of course, speed is extremely important, but not necessarily to play fast....
If you can play fast and keep the sound quality at the same time, it means that when you play at regular tempo, your sound will be close to perfect.
Speed can then be used in solos.

But many congueros can play fast but prefer melody, preciseness, placement...

I am not a "flash" player, but I can build some serious speed. But my aim is not to impress by playing 1000000000 notes in half a time, but to be steady, strong and melodic.

B
akdom

Postby pavloconga » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:34 pm

I think it's important as part of the skills that a percussionist has at his disposal. (e.g. keeping on top of things rhythmically when the tempo is very fast or playing a phrase that has to fit into a certain space of time.)

However, it's just one aspect of playing. I think that feel, good technique, placement and timing are much more important.

As far as solos, for my money the best solos are the ones executed with great taste and feel and not necessarily speed. All of this comes from knowledge gained over many years.

I see a lot of players who play loud and fast, but with little technique, phrasing or feel (especially a lot of djembe players). Quite often it just sounds like noise.

ciao, pavlo

Edited By pavloconga on 1202006136
pavloconga

Postby jorge » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:08 pm

akdom wrote:If you can play fast and keep the sound quality at the same time, it means that when you play at regular tempo, your sound will be close to perfect.

[quote]
I don't think this is necessarily true. Playing slow with precise timing and taste is hard, maybe harder than playing fast. I know a lot of rumberos who can play fast guaguanco, but can't play a slow yambu or even a slow columbia without their time wavering. Playing fast as an exercise will probably help you keep up your chops and improve your solos, but to master slow music and play cha cha cha, slow rumbas, etc, you have to actually play them slow. I would even turn it around and say if you can play slow with every note well placed and fitting into the rest of the music, that is the hard part. To speed it up and play fast actually comes pretty easily with practice.
The one time I spoke with the great rumba singer Saldiguera, in 1985, he complained about how the Muñequitos play too fast, that rumba should be slower, that he preferred how Afrocuba de Matanzas played, con mensura, compas, y sabor. Maybe I am just getting old, but I'm with him.
jorge

Postby OLSONGO » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:58 am

Remember what ever you are playing is a song. And what ever the time signature it is in, that's how you should play it .
Some rhythms are slow some are fast , if the song requieres a fast Merengue , fast Columbia, Samba and my favorite the 6/8 then be ready to take it up and have your stamina, even if you are only playing the guira. So sometimes speed is not the only important thing, but also how to sustain it through the duration of the song and swinging.

Paz
Olsongo

Edited By OLSONGO on 1202076022
OLSONGO

Postby Chupacabra » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:27 am

Thinking of it from an audience perspective and going out to the live shows, I find the really memorable and outstanding performances are the ones that maintain a good balance of all the elements. There is a time and place for the showmanship of speed, like in the solos that get our hearts beating and out of our seats applauding. And then there are the pieces that are straight ahead groove where the vibe gets really intense and we (the audience) are either up dancing or stomping our feet and clapping our hands, and when the song is over we get up and cheer loudly. Hopefully the next song matches that intensity! And then there are the parts where the percussion and rhythm is not so prominent and the music in a more ambient setting.
I practise developing speed whenever I can and I believe it's an important part of overall skill development.
That's my 0.013 euros' worth!
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby zumbi » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:16 pm

interesting question.
i would say sound and groove are the main things as in every other instrument,
the knowledge of the language, that is playing what is appropriate for the given style,
sincerity, playing what we really mean to play rather than some licks we just learned and want to display.
speed is part of the technical vocabulary and is therefore important but shouldn't become THE thing.
and if it is music meant to be danced, just playing fast rolls out of contest can really disturb the dancers.
peace blessings!
zumbi

Postby OLSONGO » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:31 pm

There was a Jazz Festival where I saw Gato Barbieri the Argentinian sax player, playing Santana's Europa a very romantic bolero and beautiful song, on congas was Richie Flores and was he all over the song double timing and rolls here and there, what a mess :angry: Did he f***d the song up. Speed don't mean s*** to me. I have it but don't consider to be the ultimate......taste is more important to me.

Paz
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Re: Speed on congas - How important is speed to you?

Postby windhorse » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:50 pm

Everyone got yelled at the last time we practiced.. Dave said, "you guys have trouble playing slow." "Anyone can play fast since your mistakes all dissappear between the spaces... You need to practice slow,,, so we're going to play two different Arara songs now."
They were Afrakete, and Awueji.. I made sure to get them both written down.. Eric and I just practiced them again yesterday, and they are BEAUTIFUL!!
They're so spectacular and mesmerizing that they really do make you WANT to play slow..
Yes, it is a really good idea to practice slow movement and soft mellow round sounds coming out of the drum... I agree with my teacher that it's a necessary part of becoming a well trained drummer.
windhorse

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises