Practice with 4/4 Time or Clave - Tell me what you think!!

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Kracker » Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:47 pm

Hi guys, I friend of mine encouraged me to sing the clave (audibly) whilst I was practicing Tumboa etc. I find it really helps with consistancy with time. What do you think.

Question - How do you know what clave pattern (Son/Rumba/Bossa) is being played when listening to cd's where the pattern is not clearly defined? Also backwards or forwards, which way?

Thanks a bunch...Kracker

(Edited by Kracker at 9:49 am on April 27, 2001)
Kracker

Postby Mike » Sat Apr 28, 2001 1:05 pm

Hi Kracker,

I guess singing clave while improves greatly the independence we drummers need.. At times I play clave on foot bell (own construction).
As far as finding out clve is concerned, there is alot of also sometimes stupid discussion which way the clave should go. Birger Sulsbrück has some nice ideas on "clave terrorism" in his magnificent book CONGAS TUMBADORES - my favourite book on the beloved drum.

In short, I guess even professionals may have different ideas. I´m not one of those, but the 2-3 son clave seems to be far more usual than the 3-2. Rumba clave I often found in very fast tunes in many styles.

This is not the end...

BY the way, thanks for your comfort on the slap issue!
Mike

Postby Laurent Lamy » Sat Apr 28, 2001 5:15 pm

Do you know where can I purchase the Surlsbruck book online?
Thanks
Laurent Lamy

Postby Mike » Sun Apr 29, 2001 8:56 pm

It´s kind of difficult online, but the ISBN is:
87-7761-273-6
Amazon.com was temporarily closed when I wanted find find out for you.
I got my copy from the local bookshop, ´twas pricy, though, so better check your local (good ) drum store
Mike

Postby CongaMan » Sun Apr 29, 2001 9:34 pm

Hi Laurent,
you can check at amazon.com - click here - you will find 4 results on books but just the Salsa Session is available ... the others are out of print.. while at Sheetmusic.com there are 7 items (videos and books): click here and make a search for Sulsbruck.. by the way, I'm not sure, but I think I have bought a video time ago and wasn't too good ..

hey Mike, what about the book you have ? is it good?
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Mon Apr 30, 2001 2:33 pm

Well, the Book is REALLY good!!!
Forget about Sulsbrück´s Book and video of the 80s. Salsa Session I have as well, they are some mediocre to good tunes arranged for salsa combo (whatever that should be), nevertheless: 2 Tito Puente tunes included.

But the book I mean is Sulsbrück´s latest, up-to-date (1999) conga school subtitled "Your basic conga repertoire from Cuban music and Salsa to Rock, Jazz and Samba".
It really covers that variety, but has strong Cuban roots, many, many examples and pattern variations, also on the 2 cds.
Apart from the rhythms (some of which I have never heard of before - and i know one or two) it gives the most comprehensive background information on the drum I have seen so far. I´m NOT Sulsbrück´s promotor, but that is the Conga book I use any time of the day (Work excluded ;-)

It is really hard to get and expensive though. But on the other hand: the detailed explanation of various strokes , also with photographs) blows you away. Also thehighly useful tips, e.g. how to stretch head so that you don´t hit the rims etc.

I´m open to any questions & hope you can get the book
Mike

Postby Laurent Lamy » Mon Apr 30, 2001 5:10 pm

It's very difficult to find the book "Your basic conga repertoire from Cuban music and Salsa to Rock, Jazz and Samba" online.
Laurent Lamy

Postby Mike » Tue May 01, 2001 9:11 am

Well, there IS a chance to get Sulsbrück´s book "Congas - Tumbadores" (Your basic conga repertoire..) online, namely from the Danish publisher: http://www.dansksang.dk , search for the name sulsbrück + u will find the title. Only problem: site is in Danish...
Mike

Postby Laurent Lamy » Tue May 01, 2001 9:26 am

Thanks Mike, are danish?
Laurent Lamy

Postby Mike » Tue May 01, 2001 12:15 pm

Not really, I´m German, but as I said my local bookstore could get the book because of the ISBN - perhaps you try it "offline" as well, because the Danish page is hard to grasp..

Good luck anyway!
Mike

Postby Laurent Lamy » Wed May 09, 2001 8:36 am

OK! I have purchased the Sulrsbruck congas book. It's very very!!!
Thanks Mike for your link,That works!!!
Laurent Lamy

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises