congas & bongos - playing differently at the same time

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby zildji2001 » Wed Mar 13, 2002 5:40 pm

I've have a question to ask about conga playing...how are the conga player able to play four instruments with some notes landing at the same time.An example of this's the Africa's Afro patterns...how am I able to play the hi,medium,low and the cowbell all at the same time?I've thinking about this for some time...hope you people'll be able to provide some infomations on this,thanks! :D
zildji2001

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:32 am

:D Hi...first you might consider a Foot bell,for one. How long have you been playing and what is your setup?...At your Service.......JC JOHNNY CONGA.....
JohnnyConga

Postby zildji2001 » Sun Mar 24, 2002 6:17 pm

I have a pair of congas on a stand, and a pair of bongos on a stand ... just behind the congas
zildji2001

Postby Bongo Boy » Mon Mar 25, 2002 4:34 am

There's a limit to how many things two hands can hit simultaneously--and I gotta think that limit is exactly two. Any more than that, and I think you're using feet, OR you're laying down multiple tracks on a recorder--where there's no real limit as to how many things get smacked simultaneously by one person.

As for independence, consider that Terry Bozzio's drum setup includes ~17 drums and over 2 dozen cymbals, with eleven pedals--no kidding. Guess he's good, too :D

...and, take a look at Richie Gajate-Garcia's video, Adventures in Rhythm for Congas. He plays a clave and/or jam block, a couple of cowbells, two congas AND timbales--doesn't do the bongo tho in this video.

Finally, on LP's web site they have a link to video clips of various players--you can see Rich Quinones play a setup identical to yours, using bongo to good effect, I think.

http://www.terrybozzio.com
http://www.lpmusic.com

Edited By Bongo Boy on Mar. 24 2002 at 21:42
Bongo Boy

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises