Manoteo, Mano Secreta & Stick Control

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Manoteo, Mano Secreta & Stick Control

Postby Joseph » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:28 am

I’ve been gone awhile…working.

The following is probably not a new revelation to the many more experienced players and teachers here, but has been a beneficial self discovery for me, so I thought I’d share it.

I thought about naming this subject “Chops Builders”, but decided to name it after the specific exercises with which I’ve recently been working.
I’d welcome any and all discussion of “chops building” workouts or strategies.

Apologies in advance for the long winded nature of the post, but after editing, all that remains seems pertinent to my point.

Having said all that….

Manoteo or Heel-toe (also known as palm-tip) is a basic, fundamental conga drumming stroke.

Mano Secreta (hereafter called MS) is a technique developed by Luis “Chanquito” Quintana, adapting SNARE drumming technique to hand drumming. It consists of using the hands to execute “double rolls” on the conga. The technique uses essentially the same motion as the “heel toe” stroke, with the hands pulled back to the edge of the drum, and articulating each tone of the heel-toe movement as an open tone.
For a visual illustration of fundamental MS hand movement, see esteemed CongaPlace member Laurent Lamy’s excellent youTube instructional video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwGXhhraIjs

“Stick Control” is a book of exercises written in musical notation by George Lawrence Stone, first published in 1935, and still published today…available for about $10.00 US.
It was originally written as SNARE Drum literature.
It is considered a classic of the literature.

To see what other drummers (not all of them stick drummers) have to say about his method see
http://www.amazon.com/Stick-Control-George-Lawrence-Stone/dp/1892764040/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1
...scroll down to "customer reviews".

I had previously used a freely available adaptation for congas of “Stick Control” called “The Stoned Drum” ( apparently a tongue-in-cheek reference to GL Stone).
I soon grew bored with it; it is written in box notation, with straight 4-4 and 6-8 meter.
It is more focused on tone articulation and tone purity. A good set of exercises for the beginner.
However, the introduction to the web book (pdf) is well worth the effort of downloading and reading, as the author has a good discussion of the difference between musical knowledge, and technical skill, and the benefits of consistent technical workouts.
http://www.mrk-inc.com/users/fjacoby/stoned0.pdf

A search of Conga Place for “Stick Control” turned up numerous and scattered mentions of the book in relation to conga practice, so I bought a copy.

44 pages of densely notated exercises consisting of “Flam” exercises and “Roll Progression” exercises.
Please note that the subject at hand is concerned with the “Roll Progression” exercises in Stick Control.

What becomes immediately obvious in the exercises is all those double stroke rolls

I started out articulating these double roll notations as ‘manoteo’ strokes.
I’ve always admired the ability of more accomplished players to switch effortlessly back and forth from single stroke slaps, open tones, etc to a smooth and fluid manoteo roll, where the hands seem to float over drum head in rapid heel-toe motion.
The exercises in “Stick Control” are well suited and adaptable to development of a fluid manoteo roll.

At the same time, I was working in the back of Michael Spiro’s “Conga Drummer’s GuideBook”, where he addresses the MS technique and offers some exercises for development of the technique. He emphasizes that the MS technique is not an intuitively natural feeling motion because “hands don’t bounce” and stresses that many hours of practice are required to become proficient at it….but that it is a powerful tool in an accomplished conga drummer’s toolbox.

Both Lawrence’s youTube video and Mike Spiro’s section on MS had sparked my interest in working on MS and developing my technique. However, both the video and the Spiro book exercises seemed out of context to me; that is ….yes they illustrate how to do the proper hand movement, etc, etc….but they didn’t give me a feel for where or when to insert a MS roll into an ongoing rhythmic phrase.

The exercises in “Stick Control” are well suited and adaptable to development of the MS roll, and to develop a feel as to where and when to use it.
They offer a thorough framework of various roll progressions. All of these rolls in the exercises are placed within challenging and varying rhythmic sticking patterns.

Simply stated, use all the srokes notated as double rolls (LL-RR) in the Stick Control roll progression exercises, as either manoteo or MS rolls.
See attached example, with my added notations.
I picked this progression for its combination of duple and triple meter
For notation, I have used a similar format for MS rolls as noted in “Conga Drummer’s Guidebook”
H-T motions are annotated “H-T” above the notes
Open tones are annotated “O” below the notes.
Mano Secreta rolls are annotated with BOTH "H-T" above the notes, AND “O” below the same notes.
(as the MS roll uses H-T motion with open tones.)
Due to space limitations (notably my big fat pencil!) I only annotated exercises 6,8,9,11 on the sample sheet, to give an idea of how they can be used.
You can mix and match heel toe and MS movements in endless variation. Your imagination is the limit.

Observations:
In first starting off, MS was definitely (for me!) not an intuitively natural motion. Proficiency in fast and fluid heel-toe rolls has come much more quickly than MS. Even though the motion of the two strokes is essentially the same, getting clean open tones, while executing the MS hand movement is key.
I still have a lot of work to do.

GL Stone states in his intro, that an hour a day spent working on his patterns, will yield all sorts of beneficial results (see reviews referenced above).
I heartily concur!
I had been spending an hour a day focusing on heel-toe rolls, in the numerous roll progression exercises and making good progress.
When it dawned on me to use the exercises for MS development, I jumped in with a full hour focused on MS. Next day the tendons in my arms in areas of wrist were really stiff…I could barely execute the MS movement smoothly.
MS roll progression exercises will work your arm and wrist tendons unlike single stoke moves. Start slow, warm up.

As any teacher (and GL Stone in his intro) will tell you: practice only at the speed at which you can execute them perfectly…but push the envelope!

Clean fluid MS rolls are composed of rapid bouncing clean open tones.
It didn’t take me long to realize I had a lazy left hand (and I’m a lefty!), with fingers splayed out openly…making an indistinctly articulated open tone when rolling.
As well, I quickly realized I was holding my hands slighty tilted (thumbs on the high side of the tilt, pinkies on low side). A flat hand when executing the MS stoke is another key. See above mentioned Laurent Lamy video, watch his hand placement.
A side benefit to closing and flattening my stroke to accommodate MS execution is that I have inadvertently improved the articulation of my single stroke slap and open tone.

Esteemed Conga Place member Johnny Conga has reiterated many times the importance of learning to play with hands and arms completely relaxed, and that advice especially pertains to MS roll development. You cannot force MS roll articulation. Relaxed movement is paramount.

Executing a MS roll within a single stroke pattern requires “switching gears” back and forth to and from a higher kinetic energy movement. Stick Control has many exercises that will drill you on switching gears…kinda like learning to drive a stick shift…switch back and forth between gears enough times, and eventually you learn to stop grinding the clutch.

Working with Stick Control has improved my ability to “think within the moment” of an ongoing rhythmic pattern, and to conceive when and where to insert a Heel-Toe or MS roll movement. I can’t always do it spontaneously yet…I’m still grinding the clutch….but just to begin to conceive of the possibilities at the moment, in the moment, and then to work out the movements has been a wonderful discovery & exploration for me.

I get the feeling that proficiency in MS is something that must be maintained. It's a matter of conditioning, and probably entails pretty frequent use to stay proficient.

I realize not everyone aspires to acquire the MS technique… Laurent’s video stoked my interest…. but now that I have started, it is very satisfying to execute one of those rapid fire rolls within a pattern.
Like Mike Spiro said, it’s like having a fast new tool in the tool box.
I’ve still got a lot of sweat equity to invest to develop it to its potential, but I’m having mind expanding and liberating fun with it, thanks to the exercises in Stick Control.

If you’re willing to invest the time and diligent effort, Stick Control offers some time tested exercises to chart your own path to development of the above described techniques.

Be aware that these are technical exercises, and are not concerned with a “feel” for clave-centric rhythms (for that I suggest the above mentioned “Conga Drummers Guidebook”).
I also suggest using clave as a metronome when practicing, and adding that feel (phrasing from the upbeat) to the execution of the exercises.

I analogize use of these exercises as to the boxer doing daily time on the speed bag…it’s a matter of conditioning: working on speed, relaxation, stamina, timing and execution… so that when the moment of opportunity comes he (or she) can let loose a rapid flurry of perfectly timed and effectively executed combinations.
.......chops!
Attachments
muhammed ali speed bag.jpg
scan0028.jpg
Last edited by Joseph on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joseph

Re: Manoteo, Mano Secreta & Stick Control

Postby debbie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:19 am

very interesting! thanks a lot!
debbie

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:20 pm

Attachments
blue_ribbon.gif
bongosnotbombs

Postby TAMTAM2205 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:33 am

Thanks a lot for that post very interesting!!!
TAMTAM2205

Postby alabubba » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:34 pm

Excellent post. Thank you for taking the time to share these valuable insights.
Bob

vids
alabubba

Postby dabesa » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:28 pm

Joseph wrote: For an excellent visual illustration of fundamental MS hand movement, see esteemed CongaPlace member Lawrence Lamy’s excellent youTube instructional video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwGXhhraIjs

Hey Joseph,
thanks a lot!!
the video is not available anymore, do you know how can I find it nowadays?

Thanks!
dabesa

Postby windhorse » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:42 pm

Joseph wrote:I quickly realized I was holding my hands slighty tilted (thumbs on the high side of the tilt, pinkies on low side). A flat hand when executing the MS stoke is another key.
A side benefit to closing and flattening my stroke to accommodate MS execution is that I have inadvertently improved the articulation of my single stroke slap and open tone.

I just thought that this could be repeated again, and again, and again....
windhorse

Postby Joseph » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:58 pm

dabesa wrote:the video is not available anymore, do you know how can I find it nowadays?

I wasn't aware it had been removed.
Perhaps you could contact Laurent and ask him to repost. He is a member here.
http://www.mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5

windhorse wrote:I just thought that this could be repeated again, and again, and again....

Yes, I have to remind myself every time to make a conscious effort to keep that stroke flat, especially in my left hand.
...temptingly easy to lapse into my default tilt.
Old habits die hard.
Joseph

Postby Joseph » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:04 am

For those that may be interested, here is a video that could serve as a replacement for the above mentioned
(and now removed)Laurent Lamy mano secreto video.

This one starts out with some slo-mo hand action when executing technique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQuj7Ag76Xw

As an added bonus, he provides a link to exact notation of the exercises he is performing.
http://www.heinrichklingmann.com/CongaRudiments.pdf
Nicely formatted pdf, ready to print.

Good stuff.
Thank you Heinrich! 8)
Joseph

Postby windhorse » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:45 am

Joseph wrote:For those that may be interested, here is a video that could serve as a replacement for the above mentioned
(and now removed)Laurent Lamy mano secreto video.
This one starts out with some slo-mo hand action when executing technique.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQuj7Ag76Xw
As an added bonus, he provides a link to exact notation of the exercises he is performing.
http://www.heinrichklingmann.com/CongaRudiments.pdf
Nicely formatted pdf, ready to print.
Good stuff.
Thank you Heinrich! 8)

Great find.. Thank you a bunch Joseph & Heinrich
double strokes like that are a paradigm shift from how I play congas now. Maybe it's time for a paradigm shift... :mrgreen:
windhorse

Postby nobleway » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:05 am

Heinrich is amazing! He has some wonderful videos that I am just beginning to look at. Thanks for pointing him out!
nobleway

Postby Joseph » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:42 pm

Here is a short vid showing practical application of Stick Control exercises to tumbadoras.
It is one of the most basic of the exercises.

Stick Control: Page 5 – Single Beat Combinations, exercise 5 (of 72)

It is essentially the paradiddle rudiment played across 3 drums: RLRR LRLL
…cycling accents through all different strokes of the pattern
…either by articulating on different drums, or by slaps…
… this pattern incorporates double strokes.

Demonstrates how imaginatively Stick Control exercises can used.

The fact that Anga’ is the performer makes it all the more interesting. 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0-5DjKqC-I
Joseph

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:31 pm

Anga went through that series personally with me. Thats what he would his 'basic' formula. :lol:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby bengon » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:05 pm

Abukua or Joseph, would you mind explaining this video a little more?

It's fairly clear whats going on for the first bit, but once he kicks into high gear, starting around :40, it's hard to follow.

This is exactly what I've been working on, so it's very helpful!
bengon

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises