Rumbero vs Conguero - Which describes your style?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Rumbero vs Conguero - Which describes your style?

Rumbero.
13%
Conguero.
11%
Both equally.
24%
Percussionist.
47%
I just like to make noise, man!
5%

Total votes : 38

Postby Gallichio » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:26 am

I think to be a well rounded player you must be able to play it all. I am always learning something new. Call or label the player what you will. He or she will crossover all the definitions sooner or later.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby yambu321 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:08 pm

GALLICHIO,

THE 1ST PART OF YOUR LAST POST WAS ON POINT, BUT THE 2ND PART IS OFF THE MONEY, AND THIS IS WHY. (PLEASE BARE WITH ME FOR A SHORT MOMENT, WHILE LEADING UP TO MY POINT).

JUST BCAUSE ONE PLAYS A DRUM, DOES NOT MEAN THAT ONE WILL CROSS ALL ROADS.

THERE ARE THOSE THAT PLAY STRICTLY CERTAIN TYPES OF MUSIC.

THERE ARE THOSE THAT PLAY POP, R&B, BLUES. THOSE THAT PLAY LATIN POP, AND ROCK. THOSE THAT PLAY FUSION, CONTEMPORARY, AND EASY LISTENING JAZZ STYLES. LATIN JAZZ
SALSA, MERENGUE, MOZAMBIQUE, BOMBA Y PLENA; AND TRUST ME THE LIST GOES ON! FOR ONE TO CROSS ALL ROADS, ONE MUST DEDICATE THE TIME AND EFFORT REQUIRED. THIS IS JUST THE HARD FACT. THOSE THAT DO WORK HARD TO TRY AND LEARN MOST, IF NOT ALL, WILL ATLEAST DO FINE ON EACH.

NOW, TO SIT IN AND PLAY IN A REAL FULL FLEDGED "RUMBA"; ONE BETTER KNOW, WHAT IS REQUIRED OF HIM WITH IN THAT SETTING, OTHERWISE ONE WILL IN A FLASH, GET BOOTED OFF!
BY THE GROUP, AND OR WORST BY OTHERS WATCHING THE RUMBA, INTERRUPTIONS OF A RUMBA WHILE IT IS BEING PLAYED, IS A BIG TIME NO, NO.

SO WITH THAT SAID, BEING A "RUMBERO" IS NOT JUST A TITLE FOR NOTHING, IT'S EARNED THROUGH TIME AND DEVELOPMENT. IT'S A SPECIALIZED ART.

ALSO,
FOR THAT MATTER, TO BE A CALLED A "CONGUERO", ONE MUST KNOW ALL, THAT ANY SELF RESPECTING CONGUERO SHOULD KNOW. OTHERWISE, ONE IS NOT TRULY A "CONGUERO", BUT RATHER A PERSON THAT PLAYS A CONGA. BIG DIFFERENCE. :;):

CHARLIE "EL COQUI" VERDEJO

Edited By yambu321 on 1202588719
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby Gallichio » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:31 pm

I see your point. But help me to understand you said
''TO SIT IN AND PLAY IN A REAL FULL FLEDGED "RUMBA"; ONE BETTER KNOW, WHAT IS REQUIED OF HIM WITH IN THAT SETTING, OTHERWISE ONE WILL IN A FLASH, GET BOOTED OFF!'' How does one learn the parts? No one is born with it. This is the crossover I was talking about. Learning.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:47 pm

I personally know a lot of conga players that specialize. Some guys play rumba and folkloric rhythms, some others play other kinds of music.

I think rumba and folkloric is a very specialized form of music.

From my personal experience. there isn't much incidental crossover. Crossover between music genres takes deliberate action and study.
bongosnotbombs

Postby morty » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:54 pm

i play rumba and i play other kinds of music.
i feel that if you have mastered conga technique then all musical forms are open to you.

i have an excellent grasp of all of the instruments in rumba except for quinto. quinto is a learning process that takes serious time and effort. also learning to sing is an art form.

i incorporate styles and forms from rumba into all of my playing whether it's jazz, pop, reggae or even playing in church.
morty

Postby ozrivera » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:59 pm

Gallichio wrote:I see your point. But help me to understand you said
''TO SIT IN AND PLAY IN A REAL FULL FLEDGED "RUMBA"; ONE BETTER KNOW, WHAT IS REQUIED OF HIM WITH IN THAT SETTING, OTHERWISE ONE WILL IN A FLASH, GET BOOTED OFF!'' How does one learn the parts? No one is born with it. This is the crossover I was talking about. Learning.

saludos hermanos
One learns the parts by watching, listening and practicing, at home.
a full fledge rumba is not the place to practice. if you sit on a drum you must already know your part.
if you dont you will get kicked out or worst, ruin your reputation. it may be years before you sit again.

Rumbero is also a term that has nothing to do with the type of style that you play.
for us spanish speaking folks it has other meanings.

for example
I could say "man abakua es tremendo rumbero"

and all that means, in this case is that the rumbero in
question, is well versed at the instruments he plays. that he is always available to play. he is always up to date with the local music scene. a person to go to for advice, hook ups, arrangements, someone who can help you find other muscians. in general terms a go to person. but it doesnt mean that they just play rumba only. just a person who can "get down" someone that plays and makes the whole band sound good. also depending where youre from, it may have other meanings.
rumbero could also mean a "party animal"

if i may also add, IMHO a percussionist in latin music must be versed or at least know how to play conga, bongo, timbales, and tambora. and all other minor perc ie, guiro, guira, maraca, shekere, etc.

a conguero to me is someone who just plays congas.

musically speaking
a rumbero is not someone who just plays rumba or folkloric style.
a rumbero is a term coined in spanish for someone who has mastered the rumba and folkloric styles.
just because you play rumba that doesnt make you a rumbero.
a rumbero is a title that is given to you by other musicians, friends and peers.
you earn that title the same way you earn that chair in full fledge rumba. by knowing your stuff.
some of the satements i just made are opinions based on my expiriences. not wrong or right, its just the way i have always perceived it to be.
many of your opinions will differ from mine.

suave rumbero

Oz
Pa-tra ni-pa cojer impulso.
ozrivera

Postby Chupacabra » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:24 am

Hmmm...This is the only vote I've encountered in a long time in which I'm not entitled!

By this I mean there aren't any answers that I can really include myself in. What percussionist/rumbero. etc. hasn't indulged themselves in just blasting away at their instrument just to vent or experiment and "Just make some noise, man"? Play some conga licks to some old Allman Bros. Band songs, or Led Zep, perhaps?

From the previous replies in this thread I can't really call myself a percussionist at this point.

Anyway I could blah-blah forever but my basic point is there should be a choice for "Wanna-be"!
When I get together with the group I practise with on Saturdays it is Rumba and Bembe that we are trying to learn. Believe me, what we cough up ain't anything near the real thing! When we do get into a groove it is a wonderful thing though. Isn't that what it's all about?

Edited By Chupacabra on 1202614168
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby riveramm » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:28 am

Galichio and yambu 321,(AMIGOS)

You all know that RUMBA its originally from Cuba and we have to respect them the RUMBA have their own CLAVE and have to match with the dancers.
you can see that in CALLE 54 movie track 11 Puntilla y nueva generación with PATATO and Pedrito Martinez (Compay calletano).AWESOME.
Like BOMBA from Puerto Rico have to pattern with the dancer, The salsa the clave with the dancer too.

HOPE help,
Mel
riveramm

Postby yambu321 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:11 am

RIVERAMM,

MIRA PAPA, BORICUA SOY; Y LO QUE YO TOCO ES LA RUMBA, Y SI, ES CUBANO.

PERO YO, NO ENTIENDO EL PUNTO TUYO. TU TIENES QUE DAR ESE CONSEJO TUYO A UNO QUE NO TIENES IDEA. YO TENGO UN TEMPO EN ESTO. :D

WHEN IT COMES TO THE DRUMS PLAYING IN CONCERT WITH THE DANCERS MOVEMENTS, FOLKLORIC BOMBA IS MUCH MORE SPECIFIC TO THE DANCER'S MOVES.

AFRO-CUBAN, FOLKLORIC RUMBA, IS MUCH MORE OF THE DANCERS DOING THEIR SKIT, WITH IN THE RHYTHM BEING PLAYED. WITHOUT THE HARD STRIKES OF THE DRUM TO ENHANCE EACH OF THE DANCER'S MOVES, AS DONE IN FOLKLORIC BOMBA. :D

Edited By yambu321 on 1204378717
Keep It Real, Keep It Honest, and Alway's Be True To Yourself. Laugh and Smile When Ever You Can, and Help others do the Same; It's a Good Thing!
yambu321

Postby riveramm » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:10 pm

Yambu,

Lo que mencionas es correcto. Gracias por terminar de aclarar el punto no tenia la enciclopedia a la mano. Entiendo que de esto se trata este SITE y quiero que sepas que ha todos los respeto MASTERS, novatos, intermedios, profecionales.Boricua eres Boricua soy entre al SITE para aportar lo poco que se y para aprender lo mucho que hay.

Con respeto ,Saludos,
MEL
M
riveramm

Postby yambu321 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:17 pm

RIVERAMM,

BIEN DICHO MI HERMANO.
SIEMPRE ECHA PA DE LANTE. PORQUE TU ERES EL PRODUCTO DE LA ISLA DEL ENCANTO. LA MUSICA CORRE EN TUS VENAS COMO LA SANGRE DE AFRICA CORRE EN EL CARIBE. PUERTO RICO ES PEQUENO, PERO DE CORAZON ES UN MUY GIGANTE! :D :cool:

MEL, MACHA SUERTE EN TODO SIEMPRE.

TU HERMANO,
CHARLIE "EL COQUI" VERDEJO"

Edited By yambu321 on 1204493557
yambu321

Postby JayMacho » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:11 pm

What about "musician"?
La Llave es la Clave!
JayMacho

Postby yambu321 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:08 pm

JAYMACHO,

MUSICIAN?
I DON'T QUITE UNDERSTAND YOUR QUESTION. BUT, I'LL SAY THIS. WE WERE DISCUSSING THE RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN THE DRUMMERS AND THE DANCERS IN A FOLKLORIC BOMBA, AS COMPARED TO THAT WITH IN A RUMBA.

A MUSICIAN IS OPEN TO TRY ANTHING HE CHOOSES. ALTHOUGH, THE PROPER UNDERSTANDING AND USE OF A CLAVE, SHOULD BE RESPECTED. :cool:

Edited By yambu321 on 1204546172
yambu321

Re: Rumbero vs Conguero - Which describes your style?

Postby windhorse » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:41 pm

This is a sound clip of us working a Bembe with Iya on the lead, and the tumba on bombo, and conga playing the tumbao. Nobobdy on high drum or bell, so it's a little sparse, but I thought it sounded nice, and it's all I've got of anything decent recorded now..

http://animaldreams.net/cong/bldrbem2e.mp3 :wink:
windhorse

Re: Rumbero vs Conguero - Which describes your style?

Postby windhorse » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:54 pm

I knew I'd find something better:
This one has most of us in it.. It's Palo:
http://animaldreams.net/cong/palob.mp3
windhorse

PreviousNext

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises