name of rythm

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: name of rythm

Postby Anonimo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:22 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby jaemacho » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:06 pm

That Elegua chant is sung to an Iyesa rhythm. Iyesa and certain bomba rhythms like Sica have the same clave. So I guess ,if you don't know, the confusion makes sense. Besides, that Elegua chant is fundamentals in orisha chants. I never heard that bomba from da 50's but like my man Jorge said Elegua been around alot longer than Canario.
jaemacho

Postby Anonimo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:20 am

Anonimo

Postby jorge » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:25 am

leedy2 wrote:it's the same song words are inverted.

Now you made me drag out the old vinyls and dust off my turntable.
Un Verano en Nueva York was a salsa song recorded by EGC on their label in 1975 and Justi Barreto was given author credit for that song on the album. The song is about good times in NY in the summer, and the singer even mentions Justi Barreto by name twice, saying good things about him, el que sabe, etc.
A Nueva York was written and recorded by Justi Barreto in 1969 on Gema and is a rumba columbia. None of the words or melodies that I heard in one song appear in the other song. Both songs were written by, and credited to, Justi Barreto but they are completely different songs, the melodies, the lyrics, the rhythms, completely different. It is not impossible that I could have missed a phrase, which words are you saying are inverted?
Sorry for the hijack, but David Peñalosa answered Antonio's question pretty clearly in the second post, with a few others agreeing later on, and then the discussion evolved into this.

Now the melody that the guy in the original post was playing on the violin sounds just like a song to Eleggua. People have probably been singing that song to Eleggua for centuries, not just starting in the 1920s, but since it is an oral tradition and there are no recordings (or written transcriptions) of songs to Eleggua from the 19th century, we will probably never have documentation of that. Actually, judging from the harsh negative response many Afrocuban religious drummers and akpwons have against "inventos" and improvising within the liturgical music, it seems very unlikely that Cubans in the Yoruba religion would have out and out plagiarized a melody from a bomba in the 1920s and used that to create a new song for Eleggua. Cross cultural and religious musical influences are very common in secular folk music like rumba and bomba, so the direction of the influence seems more likely to have gone the other way, from the Yoruba chants to the bomba.
jorge

Postby niallgregory » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:33 am

leedy2 wrote:
jaemacho wrote:That Elegua chant is sung to an Iyesa rhythm. Iyesa and certain bomba rhythms like Sica have the same clave. So I guess ,if you don't know, the confusion makes sense. Besides, that Elegua chant is fundamentals in orisha chants. I never heard that bomba from da 50's but like my man Jorge said Elegua been around alot longer than Canario.

jaemacho
You have to read what has been posted Elegua chant yes have been around before we were born but if you read the melody that this guy is using is from an old recording and it may even go back 20's. I was look for photo of album cover to show you guy's but can't find corresponding cover for this recording .we are talking melody. Canario is been dead for over 50 years here is a little history on Canario' music , This is not Jose Alberto EL canario the Dominican singer. here is some of carnario,s work dating back 1929-1947 when he died and in that album cover that song my be there.I was not born when this was going on and I guaranty you were not born Ither. listen to the conga players there are two lesson to tumbador and repicador its the same rhythm your friend is playing on video.I have heard that bomba a lot of time and remember I was in the business for a long time I heard stuff that you may never have heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1wbfQk78mk

Im starting to loose track of your argument concerning the song tbh ? There is no debate about the melody in the youtube video , it is a chant for elegua FACT ! As has been said it may also be a melody used on a bomba track in the past but % 100 this melody is a traditional santeria chant for elegua . I think i have it on a field recording from the early 1900,s .I will try and find it and post it up .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Anonimo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:49 am

Anonimo

Postby jaemacho » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:07 pm

"Cuidao con cuidao... Si no sabe no te mete... Cuidao con cuidao... ese es un dicho callejero..."
jaemacho

Postby Anonimo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:21 pm

Anonimo

Postby jaemacho » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:52 pm

leedy2 wrote:es cuidado con cuidado si no sabes no te metas learn before you talk by the way you write I can tell you are a new yorker that does not know facts. trying to write spanish here you have correct spelling I may screw up at time but I know what I am talking about . take care la primera mandada par carajo of 2010

LMAO! I luv bustin chops. Por que tan sensitivo mano?! I was just posting a rumba coro that I like. BTW - El negro congo doesn't speak proper spanish.
jaemacho

Postby niallgregory » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Ive said my bit re the elegua chant , of which im a very certain .Have a nice day gentlemen :lol:
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:35 am

leedy2 wrote: . . . it is a chant for elegua . . . I think i have it on a field recording from the early 1900,s .I will try and find it and post it up .
[/quote]

Hi Leedy,
Were you able to locate the song you mention? I'm curious about the date. The earliest recording of Afro-Cuban folkloric music I'm aware of is Harold Courlander's "Music of Cuba" from 1940.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Anonimo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Anonimo

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises