The Elusive Slap

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby Whopbamboom » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Since djembe was my first instrument, and I had to develop my own technique on the LP Giovani's that I currently own, I use my thumbs a lot for open tones. I guess I play similar to a djembe. The thinner water buffalo skins on the LP's allow for good volume when striking with the sides of the thumbs. And with the ash wood bodies, the quality of the tone does seem to work fine for the type of music that I am playing. I have found ways of controling the ringing to where it's not noticeable.

I tried to use my thumbs for open tones on the thick skins that are on the Isla's, and the open tones just sounded thin and quiet that way. But MAN, did his drums sound GREAT when played in the traditional manner. I was in awe as he played them. And I myself was able to easily achieve good sounds out of his drums using traditional technique (though consistency is a personal fault of mine due to not having working with traditional technique before). Wonderful open tones and crisp slaps, as is heard in afro-cuban polyrhythmic music. I highly recommend Isla Percussions congas for anyone who wants to play afro-cuban technique or afro-cuban music!

Edited By Whopbamboom on 1205526635
Whopbamboom

Postby korman » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:26 am

Hmm, I play djembe a bit as well, but I've never seen anyone make open tones with the thumbs ... that's something new to me. Care to make a video of what can you do with that technique? I imagine you could probably do quite fast stuff that way, like the manoteo motion on bongo.
korman

Postby Whopbamboom » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:22 am

Yes, I can do some interesting patterns. Fairly rapid stuff, too. But I have no way of making a video at present. No video camera!! :(
Whopbamboom

Postby Chupacabra » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:52 am

Friday night I went to a percussion lesson/workshop/drum circle which was facilitated by a well-known Vancouver percussionist. It was oriented to West African percussion and particulary, the djembe. For the beginners, the facilitator went through the basic hand techniques and so on and one thing that caught my attention was this interesting exercise for the fingers, hands and wrists that is a really good indicator of just how supple and agile this system really is, in the context of hand technique and "the slap". I'll try my best to describe it in text and hopefully it will come out clearly.
To achieve the desired effect you need to hold your hands in front of you and try to coordinate a quick, smooth whip-like motion starting with your wrists, then up to your knuckles, through your middle finger joints (all fingers) and then to the second joints. The end result of the whipping motion should be the clapping sound of your finger tips slapping the heel of your hand. You should alternate between left and right hands.
I personally am not able to achieve this but there were many people there who could do it, especially the women. My hands have been abused so much over the years from hard, manual work that it will take considerable practise to get to that level of flexibility.
I believe this to be a very sound exercise in developing good hand skills for percussion and will see if I can improve the agility of my hands and therefore my technique by practising this, and other flexibility exercises.
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby Coco » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:32 am

The fingers should be slapping the heel of the same hand?
"Relax...you'll get there quicker."
Coco

Postby Chupacabra » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:36 am

Yup!
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby pavloconga » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:01 am

I think flexibility and relaxation of hands is a good thing, however I don't see how such an exercise will really help you develop a good slap.

As far as exercises I think probably a better one is from a Giovanni video where he rests his wrists on the drum with hands overhanging the edge. He alternates flexing his hands as far down as possible then as far up as they can go. You do this until the muscles in your wrists really start to burn (usually after about 200 repetitions). Try this and then practice your slap, you'll notice a difference.

Beyond this, the best way to learn really great slap technique is to learn directly from a master or at the least from a very advanced student.

Edited By pavloconga on 1205744521
pavloconga

Re: The Elusive Slap

Postby Raymond » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Not too much of a conguero but I have develop what I think is a good slap and it was trial and error..and lots of patience....
I've noticed not everybody hits the conga in the same places..some people hit more toward the middle some with bigger hands have to get closer to the edge....

Saying that...my first recommendation is to make sure you find your spot in the conga where you are going to play and is a matter of trying to get the sound you want in your slap...I think a little bit of trying hard to put pressure and see where you get the sound you want, helps you to begin trying to get your slap...however....Be careful you don't get hurt trying because I know you are going to try hard. .(How your fingers and your hand is helps you too)....Keep on trying it...

A thing I used to do was to repeat the first two notes of the conga playing which is your heal, finger and slap...keep on practicing..I did a little playing and keep on practicing those two notes...eventually it will happen. Doing that I develop my right wrist pretty good and the slap comes pretty good..(I have some permanent calluses in my fingers and part of my hand that I guess are the badge merits of achieving my slap...Now...if I could have the patience with left hand....).

I hope this helps....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby pidoca » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:17 am

G'day, I have been taught to do slaps in a few different positions. From the Middle of the drum, all the way to the edge. They all sound different. Which is good, more arsenal.

A good way to practice the slap technique one handed is to place a $10 or $20 bill on the drum. lay it flat and as you slap the portion where your fingertips hit the drum pull the note in. That is, as your hand goes down for the slap, the fingertips pulls he note into the cup of your hand only 1-2cm, if that.

Practice it. IT is hard to write, but easy to do.

let me know what you think. also if you can slap on a loose tumba you can slap on anything.

You could always ask your partner to slap you on the face, the sensation you will feel will give you a better insight into slapping and being slapped. Not that I advocate Domestic Violence. I am not trying to be funny, Albert Einstein said to solve a problem we have to raise above the mind set that created it. so try somehing different. What does it feel like for the skin of the conga to be slaped?

Bless ya

Pidoca
http://www.jessesvoice.org
pidoca

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:25 pm

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseacti ... d=23763648 try this exercise on for size with both hands.....Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises