slap - does the other hand stay on the conga

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby expresso bongo » Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:11 pm

Can someone help me, does the other hand rest on the conga head for the slap or lift off? I've read it both ways. I'm confused.
Many thanks.
EXP BON
expresso bongo

Postby timo » Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:01 pm

theres a few ways to do a slap:
you can hold your other hand on the conga while you slap, and add a little pressure, this is a muted slap and it has more of a pop in it, but you can also lift your other hand, specially in faster speeds this tends to happen, there is also a third slap, the open slap, in which you let youre hitting hand bounce slightly of the head, and the drum produces a distinct overtone ring.

also there is a slap which is rarely discussed, and it is played mostly on atambaque, its done to the center of the drum, same position as you play tumbao.
and there is the bata slap which produces a specific sound . hope this helps ;)
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby benbaboon » Sat Mar 16, 2002 12:38 am

you sure cleared the muddy water on this one, timo ;)
benbaboon

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:27 am

Hi Timo said ,but I'l just add this ...there is an open slap a closed slap and the bata slap. Each is approached differently of course open -with no hands on the drum except the one slapping towards the low-middle center. the closed where there is a hand on the drum with little pressure,and the bata slap which is top center of the drum hit with the last three fingers of the left hand if your righty. I hope this helps, Beat On!...At your Service ......... :D JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby Alex » Wed Mar 20, 2002 9:20 pm

hi every body i'm alex and i have a guestion about fiwing cracs in congas. my school has two pearl professional percussion congas. and they are slitly old and have a few large cracks in them are there any good ways of fixing these? should i send them to a string repair place?
Alex

Postby timo » Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:34 pm

where are the craks?
are they on the conga shell?
how big are they, length and do they go through the shell( if theur on the shell), are the cracks deep.
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:51 am

I mended a 7 inch crack (from bottom upwards) of a tumba by
a) putting glue in the cleft and tightening ropes around the drum (fixed it with sticky tape)
and
b) fastening a metal band, i.e. a piece of metal 10x5 centimeters, with screws in the interior to bridge the former gap.

It worked! At least until now... ;)
Hope this helps expressobongo..
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby 120-1016659394 » Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:51 pm

the cracks are at the bottom and go up. the largest is over a foot long, and there are several cracks on each drum. ???
120-1016659394

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises