Humbolt State University Afro Cuban Workshop

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: Humbolt State University Afro Cuban Workshop

Postby davidpenalosa » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Here is one thread about the Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance and Drum workshop.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4705

Quite a few forum members have attended. I have taught there every year since the beginning.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:15 pm

Cadenza wrote:HI,

Humbolt University in San Fransisco?

Actually, Humbolt State is in Arcata, a couple of hundred miles away from San Francisco.
However, they are both in California.
bongosnotbombs

Postby davidpenalosa » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:05 pm

I saw online round trip flights from Seattle to Arcata if that helps.
davidpenalosa

Postby windhorse » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:44 pm

Im going this year :D
windhorse

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue May 25, 2010 6:08 pm

Cadenza wrote:where do people typically stay when they attend? I see the dorm rates are reasonable, and include food. However, I'm not familiar with the campus. The dorms at my local university really aren't a place I would want to stay, too many yahoos.

C

Many stay in the dorms. Which are mostly empty, the workshop is in the summer time, so not many student
bongosnotbombs

Postby windhorse » Tue May 25, 2010 6:45 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:
Cadenza wrote:where do people typically stay when they attend? I see the dorm rates are reasonable, and include food. However, I'm not familiar with the campus. The dorms at my local university really aren't a place I would want to stay, too many yahoos.
C

Many stay in the dorms. Which are mostly empty, the workshop is in the summer time, so not many student

At this camp "we" are the yahoos!
They have a cheerleading camp, a wind instrument camp, and some other sports camps, but they separate us out from all the rest, so that we actually get our own dorm area. The other camps steer clear of us as we're the "drummers".. :roll:
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Tue May 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Cadenza wrote:LOL - sounds like a done deal then, dorms it is. Yahoooooo..... I can do that. Cheerleading camp eh....... hmm.

Yeah, they're little cutie-pies.. If you're young enough you can be the fox in the hen house. :oops:
windhorse

Postby davidpenalosa » Thu May 03, 2012 8:55 pm

workshop.jpg

Registration begins May 1st for Explorations in Afro-Cuban Dance & Drum!

Featuring these internationally-renowned instructors:

DANCE:
• Danys LaMora Perez
• Susana Arenas
• Silfredo La O Vigo
• Alison Hong-Novotney
DRUM:
• Lázaro Pedroso
• Lazaro Galarraga
• Miguel Bernal
• Jesus Diaz
• Roman Diaz
• Sandy Pérez
• John Santos
• Michael Spiro
• David Peñalosa

This unique program offers participants seven days of intensive workshops which examine the folkloric music, songs and dances of the Afro-Cuban people. Internationally-recognized faculty will join local faculty to teach students of all skill levels. Previous experience in either dance or percussion is recommended. Fee includes admission to all available classes offered each day, evening presentations, and a faculty performance.

On campus housing & meals available.

date ........... Sat., July 21-Sat., July 28
time ........... See website for detailed schedule and fees
fee ........... $495 (full week, by June 30. After June 30, $520) - $50 per unit for up to 3 units of credit (optional). Other registration options available. Rental drums available for a fee.
place ........... Humboldt State University
instr ........... Howard Kaufman
course ........... EENC x034
credit ........... MUS 180, 1-2 units (CR/NC) and/or
MUS x485, 0.5-2 units (CR/NC) and/or
TFD 585, 1-2 units (CR/NC)
davidpenalosa

Postby ABAKUA » Fri May 04, 2012 6:30 am

Sounds awesome, another year with top notch programming. Well done.

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby windhorse » Sat May 05, 2012 12:54 pm

I'm in! Just paid for the week! :D
https://extended.humboldt.edu/ee/html/afrocuban/
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:38 pm

A friend from Denver and his Cuban cohort are going this year! At least I'll have one friend there. Anyone else going this year?
windhorse

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:59 am

I'm thinking about it, but will probably make the decision last minute... I've looked closely at the program for a couple years, but it's a long drive from here.

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby windhorse » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:11 pm

rhythmrhyme wrote:I'm thinking about it, but will probably make the decision last minute... I've looked closely at the program for a couple years, but it's a long drive from here.

RR

Yeah, it's about a 3,000 mile round trip for me. I couch surf and tent camp on the way out and back. Makes for a nice vacation. I hope you can do it!
windhorse

Postby windhorse » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:09 pm

Some notes on 2013 Humboldt Afro-Cuban Camp. 1st stop, Salt Lake City. Stayed with an old friend, and had breakfast the next morning at another didjeridu buddies' house. This, after trying to find an open breakfast place and striking out THREE times!
Next day on top of the Sierra's camping at Alderwood camp ground. I still contend this is one of the most beautiful places on earth! https://www.dropbox.com/s/fofwuwzfmfo1v4t/aldcamp3.jpg
Third day into Grass Valley where I stay in a tent on the deck of Bob Scarlett's home. http://mrcrowder.us/cong/Bob.m4a
Lessons with Gary Greenberg on Itotele, and Grass Valley's World Fest on Sunday. http://www.worldfest.net/performers.asp My new favorite band - Incendio. http://www.worldfest.net/performerPopup.asp?recordID=187 Stay here 4 days.
Next three days in Berkeley with another friend James, (tyko) from this list, who had not played drums since my last visit last year! He was smoking hot! I guess not playing and practicing agrees with him! Go figure! We did a redwood hike, a drive up the coast, and foodie hits around SF and Berkeley. It's the land of fine and affordable cuisine!
Next night in Forestville with my good friends Arrow and Rio.
Picked up David Calechman, an old friend who had been to the camp two years prior, at the Santa Rosa airport next morning so he can get a ride up. Nice to have a travel buddy for at least part of the way.
We got there just in time to have dinner at the Humboldt cafeteria. The next seven days are a blur as usual, but the same old heavy hitters were there. John Santos, Mike Spiro, David Peñalosa, Miguel Bernal, Roman Diaz, Sandy Perez, Lázaro Pedroso, Lázaro Galarraga, Rogelio "Noño" Kindelan, Jesus Diaz, new this year, Octavio Rodriguez Rivera, Dancers, Susana Arenas, Danys LaMora Perez, Silfredo La O.
The crowd this time was smaller than ever. With only about 50 participants we really got tight with each other. Much more so than years in the past. There was a new kid on the block - Nick, who is already one of the better white rumberos I've seen at 17 years old!!!! He was so impressive that Roman and Susana looked at him in amazement the night of the beach party when he flashed some amazing Peruvian rhythms and quinto later that evening. Everyone was in good spirits. A real sense of camaraderie was overwhelming! The participants had a big jam one night, a small bata practice, and several small rumbas in our dorms. I had a hike into the redwoods and nap on the last day, and this year's show again did not disappoint. The final party was short, but went really well. The big boys started with my request; "Compa Gallatano", and the participants ended it with Nick leading the group.
The next morning, David and I headed out to Portland where we shared a dinner with his brother and family. Next day I spent languishing with my friends Stan and Susan, and eating THE BEST FOOD IN THE WORLD! Susan can cook!! Next began the two day trek back home from Portland.
Wow! I can't believe it came and went so fast!
Last edited by windhorse on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windhorse

Postby KidCuba » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:29 am

Sounds like a great time, maybe some day I will make it up there. Either when I hit the lottery, or when these kids are grown and out of the house. :)

Interesting interview with Bob Scarlett.

Also great job on your website, I always enjoy browsing through it.
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises