Iyesa 6/8

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Iyesa 6/8

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:40 pm

Does anybody have a score sketch of the 6/8 Iyesá rhythm that he/she is willing to share with me? I have never studied this one with a teacher, and the transcriptions of Adrian Coburg (he mentions 2 different versions) do not coincide with my own transcription from the "Antología" record.

Another recording I have is on the "Drums of Cuba" of Grupo Oba-Ilú. I know I have other scattered samples in my CD collection.

I'm particularly uncertain about ghost strokes and muffled/pressed strokes that pertain to the drum parts. Also, I'm not sure whether 3 or 4 drums are engaged in that rhythm.

Thomas

P.S.: Alternatively, is there any Congaplace thread where the subject has been discussed before?
Thomas Altmann

Re: Iyesa 6/8

Postby Jibaro » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Tomasito Cruz has one on #2, but it doesn't sound much like the Iyesá I hear in my music files.

R
Jibaro

Postby burke » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:44 pm

I just had a look to be sure ... in Vol 2 is in 4/4.

Cheers
Burke
burke

Postby Jibaro » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:04 pm

burke wrote:I just had a look to be sure ... in Vol 2 is in 4/4.

Cheers

Verdad. :oops:
Disculpen.

R
Jibaro

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:20 pm

Thank you Jibaro & Burke,

I am looking for the real cabildo stuff, no conga adaptations. The background is, I am giving a Bembé workshop this weekend, and I would like to be able to put Cuban Bembé (6/8) in proper relationship to the Cuban Iyesá rhythm.

I read that the original African Bembé drum was a double-headed drum with a snare string on one side, similar to the African Blekete (Brekete) drum, as well as to the Cuban Iyesá drum. The Bembé drum was played in several regions of Nigeria by the Hausa and Yoruba, among these in Ijesa country. As the African Ijesa probably did not call their drums "Ijesa drums", I speculate that the African Bembé drum became actually the Iyesá drum in Cuba. The Cuban Ganga drums look practically the same.

Bembé in Cuba may be played on double-headed or single-headed drums. This variation could be referred to the Iyesá- and the Arará influence, respectively.

The question is: Is Cuban Bembé perhaps a creole creation, the Iyesá and Arará being the closer-to-the-source original forms that have shaped Cuban Bembé?

A direct comparison of the 6/8 Iyesá and various styles of Bembé is essential to illustrate the subject.

TA
Thomas Altmann

Postby niallgregory » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi Thomas ,

I studied iyesa with minini in his home in mantanzas a couple of years ago .We played groupo afro cuba de mantanzas iyesa drums aswell for a couple of days .If i can work out a way to transcribe the parts for you i will gladly ! maybe i could put them up on youtube for you later , might be easier .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Niall,

I write you a PM in a second.

Thank you very much,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises