Is this a good ideia?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Is this a good ideia?

Postby joaozinho » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:48 pm

I'm new in congas drums,so i'm trying to develop basic movements.My left hand is not to strong and it's being hard to make good heel-toe movements.I thougt that I could improve the strenght and speed of my left hand whit this "gloove".is basicly a sac whit sand.I play rudiments for about 45m,and the funny thing is that after taking the gloove away,my hand just fly.I dont know if is a good ideia,but I can see clearly the improvements.

Please give me your opinions!!

Thanks!!
DSCN1130.JPG
joaozinho

Re: Is this a good ideia?

Postby joaozinho » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:50 pm

DSCN1128.JPG
joaozinho

Postby SpEd » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Interesting idea, but wondering if you might be heading toward injury/pain with the added weight.

I have been able to see improvement myself in speed and sound with just regular play... practice slowly, consistently and with exaggerated movements to begin with, and you'll be surprised at your improved abilities each time you sit down to practice.

I've concluded that there is no substitute for regular and consistent practice.
SpEd

Postby Omelenko1 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:05 pm

I think is a great idea. The added weight on the left hand is good to practice the "tumbao" (heel, finger tip, slap). Is good to practice that with the left for a good 30 mins. Then do the "tumbao" without the weight, you'll be much faster and very efficient.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby burke » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Wow that is freaky! I've been doing exactly the same thing with almost the same setup for about a two months!

BTW this has come up before, but with finger weights (from drumstick weights) - JC talked about it a few years back - search finger weights.

I do a lot of rudiments with them (HT exercises, one hands tumbao, and many more). I'm mainly after faster HT (or PT) speed and clarity and speed. I actually taped my wrist weights to a pair of old gloves so they slip on and lie along the whole hand. I find that with the gloves there is the added challenge of having to use good technique in order to get opens/slaps etc that don't just sound like 'thud, thud''.

and yes I've found a marked improvement!
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Burke
burke

Postby thomas newton » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:15 am

Use handcream my friend.
Tradition is not the custody of ashes but the propagation of fire.
thomas newton

Postby joaozinho » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks so much for the comments!!!

The use of gloove is just a part of my routine.I play much more whitout the gloove,and for now I dont see any problem,no pains ,no injury;and that is good.(well,maybe some hand cream it will be good ,thanks Thomas, lol)
joaozinho

Postby joaozinho » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:13 pm

Mister Burke...

...the patent is mine!!!

It's funny that you have the same ideia.I think is great,it really helps for the speed and control.Thanks!!!
joaozinho

Re: Is this a good http://www.mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/pideia?

Postby Psych1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Not a good idea!! You can damage your hand.

Robert Schumann's wife Clara, became infatuated with Brahams so Robert invented a device to make his hand and fingers stronger - it damaged his hand and he had to stop playing. The device was similar to yours.
Psych1

Postby Congadelica » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:02 pm

If you put enough time into a good rudment routine you will gain stamina, clarity , better execution , there is no short cut for speed , I would be worried of long term effects on your ligaments in your wrist .
But if you are well seasoned and nowhere else to go and want to push your limits go for it . but I`m sure you will pay big time in the long run .

My 2 peneth .

Marco
Congadelica

Postby burke » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:42 am

Boxers box in pools, batters (and many other sports) use weights and resistance. I'm a fencer and I've used weights on blades and legs for the same reason ... as long as your are not stupid and listen to your body it won't be a problem. Its and old, tried and tested principle in many sports and activities.

Sorry boys don't agree with the dire predictions.
Burke
burke

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:23 am

You will do damage to yourself. This is not boxing, running or fencing.

Do as you wish however.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby joaozinho » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:19 pm

I being playng whit this gloove for 3 months now.I play for 30/40m,and then I continue to play whithout the gloove.Is just a small aspect of my routine.I being playing for 6 months,3/4 hours by day,and i dont have any pain or ligament problem.To develop a muscle it takes a lot of time and serius wheight,I would be happy to develop my arms muscle whith such a ligther metod :wink: but I think that nothing could substitute a "natural" entrainement,but its just a "plus" for help my left hand to be alive.I totaly agree that you need to be relaxed to play well and fast,but not just play,for everithing in live.I'ts a good piece of advice!!!!

Thanks

p.s:I have to agree whit you Abakua,this is not boxing!!! :mrgreen:
joaozinho

Postby burke » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:06 pm

If you seach 'finger weights' you will find 3 posts where Johnny Conga talks about using weights. He did it, he didn't do damage and neither will I.

The differrence between his advice and the rest is that he actually did it and isn't just speculating.

I sense this post is going south into 'yes you will ... no I won't' land, as so many seem to do these days and I'm out.

I will email from the hospital using a pointer stick in my mouth when it happens :|
Burke
burke

Postby deerskins » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:21 pm

This reminds me a lot about discussions for the endurance sports that I have participated in (running, not anymore and cycling, 25+ years). The professionals always say that weights are a bad idea because it trains you to get used to going slower. The key is to ride fast, then supplement with weights at a different time, not when riding because it bogs you down and doesn't let you move freely...at least for cycling.
Now, I understand that this is not cycling, but perhaps the same concept applies. I think it is safe to say that the best players and the fastest players in the world have not had a need to use weights while practicing...they play, and a lot, and the speed and strength develop over time. I have been playing congas and djembe for about 20 years and people have always asked me how I move my hands so fast. So, I show them the trick, practice your technique nice and slow, get it down and FORGET about going fast. Just keep playing and it will come :)
deerskins

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises