Mozambique in 6/8 ?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Mozambique in 6/8 ?

Postby Roka » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:27 am

Roka

Re: Mozambique in 6/8 ?

Postby niallgregory » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:55 am

Dosent seem to have anything to do with mozambique at all really ?
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby tamboricua » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Adaptation of Bembé for one player with some rhythmic "floreos". Not Mozambique at all.

Saludos!!!

JG
tamboricua

Postby Roka » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:22 pm

tamboricua wrote:Adaptation of Bembé for one player with some rhythmic "floreos".

Can anyone give exact description of "Floreo" ?
For me it seems it to be from "bata world", but I don't understant it completely.
Roka

Postby windhorse » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:40 pm

Roka wrote:
tamboricua wrote:Adaptation of Bembé for one player with some rhythmic "floreos".

Can anyone give exact description of "Floreo" ?
For me it seems it to be from "bata world", but I don't understant it completely.

I guess word meanings are mostly relative to the circle of those using the terms.
Our group uses the word "floreo" to mean getting out of the ride pattern or central "part" you play and messing with it. We use it now in pretty much any folkloric context. (this may not be proper, but we aren't librarians.. :shock: )
In bata, the okonkolo will play the downbeat pattern "ki pa" on chachalokuafun, then break out of it into "floreo" which is also a pre-determined "part", but it plays between everyone else's notes.. I wonder if this is another meaning to the term "floreo",, to play around everyone else's part without hitting their notes?
windhorse

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:34 pm

Suggestion: "variation", "embellishment", "adornment" (literally "florishing").

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:41 pm

No that is not a Mozambique as HE called it..and he is from Brasil..so that maybe their version of a Mozambique...though the pattern is definitely a 6/8 pattern 'a la Mongo Afro Blue" pattern...that was created loooooooooooooong before he was born...today there seems to be a LOT of misinterpretation of rhythms and their names...it's like what they do with the history books in Texas ...they make the shit up as they go along to suit their desires and politics...I wish it would stop and people just do their homework and 'study' the history of rhythms, who, what, where, when , why and how? are the questions always to be asked..."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby Roka » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:17 pm

[quote="I wish it would stop and people just do their homework and 'study' the history of rhythms, who, what, where, when , why and how? are the questions always to be asked..."JC" Johnny Conga....[/quote]

If that's directed to me, this forum is the book of my homework, as here, where I live, are no competent people I could ask about african or afro-cuban percussion.
Roka

Postby niallgregory » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:41 pm

Roka wrote:[quote="I wish it would stop and people just do their homework and 'study' the history of rhythms, who, what, where, when , why and how? are the questions always to be asked..."JC" Johnny Conga....

If that's directed to me, this forum is the book of my homework, as here, where I live, are no competent people I could ask about african or afro-cuban percussion.[/quote]

It wasnt directed at you roka . Im presuming it was directed at the percussionist in the video and whoever named the video itself .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby congamyk » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:05 am

"Levada de Moçambique" (led from Mozambique)

My Portuguese is not that good.
This guy is Brazilian. Mozambique is also a Portuguese speaking country in Africa.
Is it possible he is saying it is an adaptation of a 6/8 rhythm FROM (the country of) Mozambique?
congamyk

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises