What makes a good tumbao?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

What makes a good tumbao?

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:42 pm

I've been woodshedding tumbaos a lot recently as I've been rehearsing salsa and Latin jazz. There's the basic tumbao, and then there's all these variations. I've picked up a few from Micheal Spiro's website and some nice ones attributed to my hero Anga and a few from recordings. The patterns seem to have a lot of variation and I don't really see unifying pattern to the different variations, so I'm wondering what exactly it is that makes a good tumbao pattern
bongosnotbombs

Re: What makes a good tumbao?

Postby Quinto Governor II » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:43 pm

I would simply say that as the song goes "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" I can't speak on this in a technical sense, if that is part of your question. All I can say is that it has to be funky in that Latin way, but I think you know that already.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby congamyk » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:07 am

I knows one when I hears one
congamyk

Postby OLSONGO » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:24 am

There are many variations , and its all about the mathematics in music...some tumbaos groove better depending on the speed. And I have been really looking at this thing the call crusado. There are those rhythms we have heard that others created, and you dig how it swings so you duplicate it. But lets say you start moving some things around and adding hits or taking hits away... you may stumble on other grooves with a killer swing perhaps because you crossed the tumbao. Creativity is endless just as Mathematics. :roll:

Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby joaozinho » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:43 pm

The tumbao is such a basic rithm,many times you think that you need many variations to improve and to have something new and fresh,and it's wonderful to know variations and be able to change paterns,but for me a good tumbao is not a question of quantity but quality,it must be intense,very simple,thigh,perfect in time,and he must have some spontaneous,but breff variations.The point is not to make variations because you THINK it will be the more apropriate ,but let the drum speak for himself,you must understand that the brain must be in silence,and the hands should be free in deep comunication whit a spontaneous spirit,joy and fredom.i know it sounds like some mistycal crap but,it's dificult to put in words.

Best regards
joaozinho

Postby Anonimo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:46 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby danno » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:50 pm

I was listening to John Santos in the car after reading this post and I thought, now that's a great tumbao. The simplest variations.

dan
danno

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:13 am

Mongo's tumbao, Tata Guines tumbao, Ray Baretto's tumbao, Eddie Montalvo's tumbao, Tommy Lopez tumbao...nuff said!..."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby Omelenko1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:54 pm

Travissano,

You forgot Papo Pepin, El Rey Del Tumbao.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:26 am

Chachoooooooooooooo me olivido!...JC
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises