How Do You Practice?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby mkamdibe » Mon Feb 11, 2002 11:33 pm

This is my first post to the forum although I've checked the site out many times before. Anyway, I was wondering how do people practice. For instance, do you have certain warm up exercises that you have to perform for a certain period of time before moving on to practicing certain rhythms? I guess I want to get an idea of a ritual or routine that I can do each time I sit down to practice.

Thanks for any suggestions.

One Love,
Muata
mkamdibe

Postby benbaboon » Tue Feb 12, 2002 7:18 am

I would usually play to a cha cha tempo on my stereo for warm up.
Later I'll play some reverse hand tumbao to build up the slap open and heel-toe on the opposite hands, and then move to some coordination excercises I learned from various teachers.
Then I'll practice whatever the rythms/licks of the week happen to be and eventually I'd chill out to some favorite music. Seems to be a good recipe for me, since I still look forward to spending time with my drums.
-bb
benbaboon

Postby timo » Tue Feb 12, 2002 2:25 pm

i practise alot of the tumbao on two drums( inventing new variations as i go along, and stuff), both hands on both parts and then one handed(all speeds) , then i usually do some nice rhythms i know, i really dont have a study thing i just mostly play what i feel like playing, i also do a lot of left hand exercises to get my coordinatin better( i also do the with my right hand).
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby CongaMan » Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:43 pm

These are some patterns I often use as warm-up...

Some other pattern I like can be found here:Click Here!

By for now!

ps. Hi mkamdibe! Welcome on board! I invite you to register as a forum member ... you have a lot of available options as a member! JOIN THE CREW! BYE!

Edited By CongaMan on Feb. 12 2002 at 00:49
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Camuyano » Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:41 pm

I am a newbie, but I have found that practicing is a lot more fun if you try some patterns in conjunction with exercises because it helps you see your progress. I learned to play drumset on my own and for this reason I skipped some of the rudiments. Later on when I started trying more advanced stuff I had to go back and learn the stuff I'd skipped. When I started learning Congas, I played exercises for weeks to make sure I had the basics down. Just recently I started doing some tumbaos and I find it much easier to practice now.
Nos vemos,[br]Imanuel
Camuyano

Postby congabebe » Mon Apr 29, 2002 1:41 pm

I started with the video the "Essence of Congas", I practiced with it and then I would play along to my favorite music with anything with congas in it. I now can create rhythms in different styles to match the music. I was determined this weekend to try reversing hands. I really believe that mind over matter exists and my mind locked everytime I tried to start a pattern with my left hand. I use my right hand for heel/toe and left hand does slaps and second drum. Doing a heel toe on my left hand felt awkward and like I had no since of rhythm. So, I turned on the music and began just trying to feel the music with the left side of my body. It worked. I caught my self listening with my left ear too. I got a long way to go to have the same strength in my left hand but it worked. My left hand can find the beat to the music. And I got some good slaps using my right hand. I have also found that if I don't look at my hands my mind will find the pattern and when I look down at them while I am playing I loose it. I check my hands to make sure that the palms are flat and I hit the drum correctly, but when I try to concentrate on speed I can't look. I use my ear like I am listening to someone else. And I use a metronome.
I have a question on techinque, is there a reason I see players lift their index finger on heel/toe positions? I have 2 videos and both teachers are completely different. And does it matter if your fingers spread? I have found that when I try to get my palms flat that my fingers fan out, is this bad?
Thanks,
Congabebe :)
congabebe

Postby timo » Mon Apr 29, 2002 7:38 pm

Off course a good technique is important, but its also important that you feel comfortable with that technique.
Also if the sound your producing with the technique your using is good, then I dont think it really matters if your fingers are spread out or not, eventually you'll find the technique most fitted to your hands and mind, and your style of playing.

When practising reverses, you should just relax, if you can play tumbao with the other hand, it wont take long before you can play reverses,( if you practise ;) ).
AXÉ

timo
timo

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri May 03, 2002 6:42 pm

:D Here is my take on practicing. Get a Method,and make it a habit. Practice-rhythms-rudiments-rolls- play along with music, all styles,if there are no conga parts recorded make them up for the tune. Do this 2 to 4 hours a day if you have the time. start out slow take your time, TAP your foot while playing to see if you can even do that. Learn to talk while your playing. My teacher used to make me recite the Constitution of the US., while i played for him. Separation of the mind and body is necessary to be in complete control of your instrument and your mind. Be Aware, everywhere! just my take on practicing.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises