Bata Rhythms For Bata-Rumba

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Bata Rhythms For Bata-Rumba

Postby Quinto Governor II » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:12 am

What other bata rhythms are used in bata-rumba besides chachalokefon, or am I hearing different variations of chacha....?
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Re: Bata Rhythms For Bata-Rumba

Postby davidpenalosa » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:21 am

I can't divine what you are hearing. Can you post or direct us to a particular song?
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:19 am

I made a little compilation of various comments I've heard regarding bata rumba combinations

Bata rumba combinations
Chachalokuafun + Guaguanco
TuiTui + Columbia
Inle + Guaguanco
Chenchekururu + Guarapachangueo
Odua por derecho + Palo Rumba
Obatala + Guaguanco
Ñyongo + Columbia
Rumba Iyesá with Guaguancó

Pello's Mozambique with the batá adaptation known as Rumba Iyesá

Usually in a batarumba, you'll have an iya player basically playing the iya part to chachalokuafon, and the rumberos playing guaguanco. Or there will be the battery of bata drums (i.e. iya, itotele, okonkolo) playing chachalokuafon with guaguanco. AfroCuba de Matanzas is known for batarumba, but they play it differently, or maybe i haven't heard enough recordings, but i can't really tell what exactly they are doing. Yoruba Andabo played batarumba on the "El Callejon..." album mixing bata w/ a columbia, and i've heard recording where they will just use the okonkolo against a guaguanco such as the okonkolo part to "tui tui" and use it as the main theme in a columbia like in the album by Roman Diaz y el Ven Tu rumbero "Wemilere" ....correct me if i'm wrong anyone....

you have to listen to the song "OYA" on "Wemilere" - Roman Diaz y Ventu Rumbero
it starts off an abakua and goes into the okonkolo part for tui tui, and keeps that through a columbia song...its great!

Clave Y Guaguanco is doing a different style batarumba on "La Voz del Congo" from the Dejala en la puntica album...The title "La voz del Congo" is accompanied in the beginning by the first section of the toque batá for Inle "Tani tani cho bí". Then they change over to Tui-Tui

Then you have Pancho Quinto's "En El Solar" where they play tui tui to an old standard "La Media Vuelta"...i hope i am on track here...they are playing "tui tui" are they not?..Tui-Tui on "La Media Vuelta".
bongosnotbombs

Postby niallgregory » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:10 am

Quinto Governor II wrote:What other bata rhythms are used in bata-rumba besides chachalokefon, or am I hearing different variations of chacha....?

Ive heard nongo , chacha , iyesa , tui tui etc etc .I think the whole point of it is to mix whatever you think works tbh .I did a recording recently and we mixed olokun with some songo rhythms . Turned out great . Its great fun experimenting with different toques and mixing them up with whatever you feel . Niall
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby roberthelpus » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:15 pm

This reminds me that I got to see Grupo AfroCuba de Matanzas and Olodum at the Lotus Festival in Bloomington, IN back in 96. AfroCuba was playing during the week and Oludum was there scheduled for the weekend. Grupo AfroCuba started out on stage with a Bata-Rumba and then Olodum marched on stage. So we had Bata-Rumba-Samba-Reggae. It made my head spin.
roberthelpus

Postby windhorse » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:11 pm

The main batalero in our group loves to play bata Iyesa on the Iya with the rest of us on tumbadores playing Guarapachangueo.
windhorse

Postby vasikgreif » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:48 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote: AfroCuba de Matanzas is known for batarumba, but they play it differently, or maybe i haven't heard enough recordings, but i can't really tell what exactly they are doing.

Anyone know how exactly does Afrocuba de Matanzas play batarumba?
vasikgreif

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:40 am

vasikgreif wrote:Anyone know how exactly does Afrocuba de Matanzas play batarumba?

guaguancó with chachalokuafún. The iyá plays on beat 1 and the segundo plays exactly opposite - beat 3. The iyá is on 1 and the quinto is on the subdivision immediately after 1. It fits together rather nicely.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby vasikgreif » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:26 pm

We did our first batarumba test today, so I thought i could share that with you. Because we are three only, who are learning afrocuban music here, we had to cheat a little - I played chachalokafun on all 3 bata (it was first time today I tried that and it's real fun), second guy played clave with foot, tumba and segundo with one hand and shekere with second hand, and the third guy played quinto. Well, here: http://pracovni.vasik.net/batarumba.mp3 is our first-time-batarumba-experiment, guaguanco with chachalokafun...
vasikgreif

Postby Quinto Governor II » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:56 am

bongosnotbombs wrote:I made a little compilation of various comments I've heard regarding bata rumba combinations

Bata rumba combinations
Chachalokuafun + Guaguanco
TuiTui + Columbia
Inle + Guaguanco
Chenchekururu + Guarapachangueo
Odua por derecho + Palo Rumba
Obatala + Guaguanco
Ñyongo + Columbia
Rumba Iyesá with Guaguancó

Pello's Mozambique with the batá adaptation known as Rumba Iyesá

Usually in a batarumba, you'll have an iya player basically playing the iya part to chachalokuafon, and the rumberos playing guaguanco. Or there will be the battery of bata drums (i.e. iya, itotele, okonkolo) playing chachalokuafon with guaguanco. AfroCuba de Matanzas is known for batarumba, but they play it differently, or maybe i haven't heard enough recordings, but i can't really tell what exactly they are doing. Yoruba Andabo played batarumba on the "El Callejon..." album mixing bata w/ a columbia, and i've heard recording where they will just use the okonkolo against a guaguanco such as the okonkolo part to "tui tui" and use it as the main theme in a columbia like in the album by Roman Diaz y el Ven Tu rumbero "Wemilere" ....correct me if i'm wrong anyone....

you have to listen to the song "OYA" on "Wemilere" - Roman Diaz y Ventu Rumbero
it starts off an abakua and goes into the okonkolo part for tui tui, and keeps that through a columbia song...its great!

Clave Y Guaguanco is doing a different style batarumba on "La Voz del Congo" from the Dejala en la puntica album...The title "La voz del Congo" is accompanied in the beginning by the first section of the toque batá for Inle "Tani tani cho bí". Then they change over to Tui-Tui

Then you have Pancho Quinto's "En El Solar" where they play tui tui to an old standard "La Media Vuelta"...i hope i am on track here...they are playing "tui tui" are they not?..Tui-Tui on "La Media Vuelta".

Bata with columbia - don't recall ever hearing that. What track on the El Calllejon recording is that? How do you guys play guaguanco when playing bata-rumba? Mantanzas or a -1 person playing 3 drums version - seems to work better for me, but Havana style not so well. Which rhythm do you like best? I found some video of Iyesa and Tui Tui. Think I can pick them up from videos, and may try them out.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:06 am

bongosnotbombs

Postby Quinto Governor II » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:29 am

bongosnotbombs wrote:http://www.mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3972

Thanks bnbs,
On that sample of the Wemilere recording, the conversation of the congas sounded a little like the conversation of the drums on the tonada that I mentioned on congamasterclass. The 2 sounds didn't seem to complement each other on that short clip of the Wemilere recording. Maybe it gets better further into the song.

Nice recording vasikgreif,
The bata and quinto sound very good. Again I think the Havana guaguanco pattern doesn't blend in with the bata, but just seem to be on top of the underlying bata rhythm. Just my personal opinion of course.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby windhorse » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Quinto Governor II wrote:Bata with columbia - don't recall ever hearing that.

At Humboldt camp this year, we learned how to play a big box (bajo cajon) part on Columbia from Miguel Bernal. It sounded so much like a bata part that I asked all my batalero friends until someone said, "essentially it's the Iya part to Oboloke".
The bajo player hits on the big one - a bass with the right hand, and the left hand rides across the upbeats with a spoon.

Here's the pattern with clave on top:
x-x-xx-x-x-x
B-s-ss--s-ss
r-l-rl--l-rl
windhorse

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises