Samba Grooves

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Samba Grooves

Postby Anonimo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:18 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Re: Samba Grooves

Postby burke » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:41 pm

Great video. Thanks for that. Wished he'd played a bit slower or broke it down ...but maybe I'll download it and see if I can slowmo the first groove. The only thing I've ever had for Samba was from the congaplace, congabook and I never really loved it all that much.

Cheers

Darrell
Burke
burke

Postby windhorse » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:34 am

Thanks a bunch for this link! I'm bookmarking that one!
I do something like the third one, but move that slap on the left hand back and forth between right and left hands..
Some good variations in that series!
windhorse

Postby niallgregory » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:56 am

If your interested in samba grooves for congas do some searching for " Samba de Caboclo " and Kabula ( cabula ) . They are the real traditional grooves that are played in candomble and umbanda etc . Plus Samba de Roda etc .The patterns in the video are nice but are variations on partido alto and marcacao and are more bossa nova type grooves for mellow styles .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Anonimo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:50 pm

Anonimo

Postby OLSONGO » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Take note , there is what is called Candomble from Brazil and Candombe from Uruguay ...2 different rhythms.

I also thought they were the same thing till i stood corrected.

Paz
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby Anonimo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Anonimo

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:46 pm

Here is how I play a Samba pattern on 2 congas, I also play it on three but this is also good on 2..listen for the way i also count it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84hKrM4WGbQ Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby niallgregory » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:40 pm

leedy2 wrote:
niallgregory wrote:If your interested in samba grooves for congas do some searching for " Samba de Caboclo " and Kabula ( cabula ) . They are the real traditional grooves that are played in candomble and umbanda etc . Plus Samba de Roda etc .The patterns in the video are nice but are variations on partido alto and marcacao and are more bossa nova type grooves for mellow styles .

The traditional Candomble is played with sticks on a conga drum today many just make applications by play with hand apposed to thin Bambu stick . Samba is also traditionally is also played with a skick on a conga drum it is a form of comparsa with numerous drums .Candomble is played in Uruguay and many south american countrys in there carnivals

umbanda; is a religion not a rhythm. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyrS7TQnoAo

Samba de Roda : Is a square dance in circle like traditional folkloric bomba dance or square dancing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKaWbT-YJmg

Samba de Caboclo : Is ritual similar to Santeria they pick a queen and king to do ritual dance to pay tribute to saints . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frf6AkmGgMM

marcacao is a town in Brazil

Here we go again with you telling people whats what .I know exactly what candomble and umbanda is for your information . And your totally wrong about Candomble , it is not played played in Uruguay or any other south american country for carnival . Your getting confused with Candombe that is played in Uruguay and has also been adopted in Argentina . The traditional Candomble is played with sticks and hands depending on wether its ketu or angolan candomble , but not on congas , atabaques are used . And samba is never played with sticks on a conga drum ? I am well aware that Umbanda is not a rhythm , i never said it was . I have studied the rhythms of Umbanda for many years with a master candomble / Umbanda drummer . Samba de Roda is an atabaque pattern and a style of music considerd to have influenced the batucada rhythms in Rio today . Its a very similar rhythm to Samba de Caboclo actually .. Caboclos are mixtue of native Indians and europeans .I believe its also played for the pretos velhos . Candomble has lots of similarities to Santeria i.e the orishas , caboclos are different entirely . marcação is a samba pattern played on surdo that comes from the atabaque , it means marker , its also the same pattern played in samba style pandeiro . It may also be a town but your knowledge of geography is obviously better than mine :oops:

Here is samba de caboclo played very slow and clear on a video done for some students http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkew7e04dz4
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Dicemanb » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:39 am

Gentlemen,

You know better than this. This forum is about sharing information and contributing to the knowledge and enjoyment of music.There are always different versions of the same story, you only have to read different newspapers the day after the event to see that, but there are also proper ways to differ and discuss historical conjecture, which is the case in point.
I will say that sometimes internet searches sometimes throw up many different versions of the same story, so always be careful of googling up info.
My two bits.

Now lets play drums.............
Respectfully yours
Dice
Dicemanb

Postby niallgregory » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:00 pm

Dicemanb wrote:Gentlemen,

You know better than this. This forum is about sharing information and contributing to the knowledge and enjoyment of music.There are always different versions of the same story, you only have to read different newspapers the day after the event to see that, but there are also proper ways to differ and discuss historical conjecture, which is the case in point.
I will say that sometimes internet searches sometimes throw up many different versions of the same story, so always be careful of googling up info.
My two bits.

Now lets play drums.............
Respectfully yours
Dice

Hang on a second there and actually read the posts . I didnt post anything out of order whatsoever in my first or second post . Firstly i tried to highlight some cool brazilain styles to forum members who might not be familiar with brazilian hand drumming , as they showed an interest in the youtube clip . Secondly i went on to point out the total inaccuracies in the post that was directed towards me . I wont be made feel stupid by any member on here regardless of there age or supposed experience . I have spent many years both playing and studying both the rhythms and culture of Candomble and Umbanda . I pointed out his post was WRONG regards to Candomble /candombe etc etc . Any one who dosent know what marcação is in relation to this music is in no position to lecture me .I tried to make the post as respectful as possible and my only intention on this forum is to gather and share information on the subject of hand drumming etc .But i wont be bullied by either replies to posts or by pm .Its a common mistake made by many to confuse both candomble and candombe but let people who know something about the subject contribute to this forum with jumping down there throats . We dont know everything about everything so let educate each other in a good spirit without every post descending into tit for tat bullshit . Niall ...
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby No.2-1820 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:35 pm

Nice vid Johnny, could you type a quick, simple notation?

It looks like you are playing RR LL RR LL, is that correct ?

Cheers, Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:43 pm

Here are the strokes-S=SLAP T=TONE The left hand is the lead hand for this pattern and counted as and 1 and 2 and 1 and 2...RR=low drum/tumbadora

LRRL LRRR LRRL LRRR
SSTT SSTT SSTT SSTT got it now?...JC
JohnnyConga

Postby No.2-1820 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:17 pm

Perfect, u tha man Johnny ! Many thanks, Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby Tone » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:50 am

I have to say something on this one.

Leedy, you have no idea of what you are talking about. Your ignorance is perfectly excusable but informing us with such authority about Samba and Candomblé is quite astounding.
NIallGregory you were quite right to point the most glaring mistakes, after all this forum is to inform and educate. There isn't two sides to this story. Leedy is wrong in so many places I am not even going to begin to delve into it.

I am invited to play to a festa de caboclo this saturday but with the wave of violence in the streets of Rio lately I am not sure I will be able to. But one thing is for sure it is all played by hand. (in Ketu some rhytms are played by hand too : agabe, Ijexa)

Some day the world will wake up to the amazing beauty and complexity of those rhythms...

I have just completed recording a traditional album. I will post a link as soon as we put something up on you tube if some of you are curious.

abraços
tone
Tone

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises