Samba Grooves

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: Samba Grooves

Postby alabubba » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:15 am

Samba de Caboclo is a wonderful rhythm, thank you for the link Niall. I agree with tones comment that the world will someday wake up to the beauty of these rhythms.
Bob

vids
alabubba

Postby Tone » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:19 pm

I am not going to bother answering Leedy, really not worth it.

I will just add some information from a beginner who has only been playing 37 years and lives in the country and actually plays the rhythms in the ceremony.

Samba de caboclo is not a rhythm, it is generic name for the ceremony.
A festa de caboclo is a particular ceremony dedicated to american-indians gods/orixas.
The rhythms being played are basically the same as Angola : Cabula, Congo and Barravento but played much faster and with different variations especially the rumpi in Cabula. Also the rum tends to play different phrases because of the very fast tempos.
The lyrics are in Portuguese as opposed to Yoruba for the candomblé.
There are lots of difference in the event as well. The terreiro is decorated with leaves and branches and the filhos de Santos wear a lot of feathers (to symbolise the forest). They also drink a special wine that brings the whole thing to a quite hectic pace (there is no drugs nor drink in Candomblé normally except for us Alabés and Ogas).
Some of the lyrics in all rhythms use the word samba to call for merrying.
After the ceremony there is sometimes a Samba de Roda being played which is a secular and modified version of Cabula and that were the rhythmic side of Samba comes from. So it can add up to some 24 hours of playing with almost no interruption! ( we take turns though).

Anyway that's the way it is in Brazil, now in Pennsylvania it might be a different thing.
tone
Tone

Postby Derbeno » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:40 pm

Here you are Mr L.
Keep on digging and raking the Muck. I thought Dr Zaramenca took the biscuit but you are one hell of an ignoramus.
If you think this forum is going down hill then do yourself a big favour and stay away.
Attachments
Shovel .jpg
Shovel .jpg (19.2 KiB) Viewed 6727 times
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby niallgregory » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:00 pm

Tone wrote:I am not going to bother answering Leedy, really not worth it.

I will just add some information from a beginner who has only been playing 37 years and lives in the country and actually plays the rhythms in the ceremony.

Samba de caboclo is not a rhythm, it is generic name for the ceremony.
A festa de caboclo is a particular ceremony dedicated to american-indians gods/orixas.
The rhythms being played are basically the same as Angola : Cabula, Congo and Barravento but played much faster and with different variations especially the rumpi in Cabula. Also the rum tends to play different phrases because of the very fast tempos.
The lyrics are in Portuguese as opposed to Yoruba for the candomblé.
There are lots of difference in the event as well. The terreiro is decorated with leaves and branches and the filhos de Santos wear a lot of feathers (to symbolise the forest). They also drink a special wine that brings the whole thing to a quite hectic pace (there is no drugs nor drink in Candomblé normally except for us Alabés and Ogas).
Some of the lyrics in all rhythms use the word samba to call for merrying.
After the ceremony there is sometimes a Samba de Roda being played which is a secular and modified version of Cabula and that were the rhythmic side of Samba comes from. So it can add up to some 24 hours of playing with almost no interruption! ( we take turns though).

Anyway that's the way it is in Brazil, now in Pennsylvania it might be a different thing.

Hi tone .Great to see you posting in this thread . Someone who lives and breathes the tradition . Im struggling to see why anyone would argue with any of yours or my post .Whats wrong with sharing information , which you have done well in this post i must add .Great to hear you recorded a traditional cd man , cant wait to hear it .Can you give us some more info on what style it is etc . Also can you pm me your email adress . Planning a trip to Brazil at some stage soon and would love to hook up with you and get some contacts . Cheers . Niall
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Dicemanb » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:51 pm

Gents,

I totally agree, we should start a new thread on Brazilian percussion and rhythms, it is pretty much unexplored by this forum.
The few that I know are beautiful and are useful to have in the tool box and I would certainly like to learn more from those who know.

Dice
Dicemanb

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:48 am

Did anyone see my videos here on playing Samba on conga drums and Bossa Nova on conga drums???..
JohnnyConga

Postby niallgregory » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:59 am

I did jc .Its a different approach to a samba on congas than i would have seen . Is it something you came up with yourself or something passed on to you ? Cheers .Niall ...
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:45 am

Hi Niall I picked that up back in the 60's on playing a Samba on conga drums..as long as the tones are on +1 +2 it works..Patato played it that way as well and a few others back then...it's OL Skool!..my Brother!...Happy Holidays to u and yours over there....
JohnnyConga

Postby niallgregory » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:40 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Hi Niall I picked that up back in the 60's on playing a Samba on conga drums..as long as the tones are on +1 +2 it works..Patato played it that way as well and a few others back then...it's OL Skool!..my Brother!...Happy Holidays to u and yours over there....

It does indeed Jc .I have a few really lovely 2 conga grooves for samba that i will stick up when i get a chance . Merry xmas to you also 8)
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby congamyk » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:28 pm

Hey Niall... looking forward to you doing that!
congamyk

Postby Tone » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:02 pm

After many months of hard work I am proud to release the album of my master Dofono de Omulu. It has been a great privilege and pleasure to work and study with him for the last few years. I have hard copies of the CD at home for those interested. Axé!
You can listen and buy on line at :
http://dofonodeomulu.bandcamp.com/album ... bl-de-ketu
tone
Tone

Postby Derbeno » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:47 pm

Good one Tone, I got a similar one from a Live Ceremony.

Going to download the whole album. I am glad it is not pain the backside CD, makes life a lot easier.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby niallgregory » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:10 pm

sOUNDS GREAT TONE ! GONNA DOWNLOAD IT . The toques are quite different than i have learnt , love hearing different approaches etc ! well done man :D
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Dicemanb » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:15 am

Very tasty Antoine, good job.

You can hear the roots through the beautiful Brasilian feel.

Now downloaded.

Dice
Dicemanb

Postby Tone » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Thanks Niall, diceman and all for the suport.
Dofono is the best in Rio and probably one of the very best in Brazil. He plays it really as it was supposed to be played, extremely clean and precise. Now the candomblé is evolving and there are great players like Ney de Oxossi who put a lot of new stuff in and there are also many many who don't know what they are doing,
This here is the root of it all.
We went to a caboclo last night it was heaving with all the cats of Rio. Hard and very very fast!

peace
tone
Tone

PreviousNext

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises