Slap on LP Aspire - Help!

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: Slap on LP Aspire - Help!

Postby Dicemanb » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:07 pm

Nice one Sensei C,

I'll have to give that one a go.

I have also seen Brazilian drummers use a slap where the heel first hits the front flat of the drum and the finger tips hit the back part of the skin. Sort of dampen the skin with heel, slap with tips. Any ideas on that one?

Also I want to perfect my open slaps, any secrets on that would be welcome.

Your Grasshopper :lol:
Dice
Dicemanb

Postby SpEd » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:27 am

Slap info is always good... so thanx all.

I find that since I've been taking lessons, all strokes come down to finding the most efficient technique to produce the proper sound.
From a more focused study I find... flat handing heel-toe, lighter touches, and more open tones, like good slaps, require relaxation.

I would strongly suggest finding someone who can show you first "hand", but until then... stretch your wrists and hands, focus on proper movement, and relax!
Don't get discouraged if you get it, and then loose it again for awhile. Stay with it, and it'll come. I started on aspires also.

Maybe even tune the heads a bit lower, and try some there... Once you get em, they'll be more efficient on a tighter skin.
SpEd

Postby Dicemanb » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks Cadenza,

I will work on that and like the 'lighter than air' idea.

Anyone seen the 'Brazilian' slap?

Suave
Dicemanb

Postby pavloconga » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:29 am

Dicemanb wrote:Nice one Sensei C,
I have also seen Brazilian drummers use a slap where the heel first hits the front flat of the drum and the finger tips hit the back part of the skin. Sort of dampen the skin with heel, slap with tips. Any ideas on that one?

I wonder if what you are describing is similar to a slap technique I saw used in West Africa where the heel of the hand was more or less in the centre of the drum and the finger tips are striking near the edge of the opposite side of the drum?

One of the most intriguing (and definitely the loudest) kinds of slaps I have ever seen on the congas was shown and demonstrated to me by master conguero Sandalio 'El Macho' Calderon in Havana, Cuba.
It's a variation on the rumba slap – where usually you slap with the right hand, while the left hand is flat and exerting slight pressure on the drum head.
He demonstrated to me his technique where he still exerted pressure with his left hand on the drum head... but he formed his left hand into a sort of hollow so that it became in effect like a sound chamber which greatly amplified the volume of the slap. Played by him it was almost deafening (and kind of mind blowing). He also showed to me the difference in volume between the two techniques and how you could use both slap techniques in the course of playing. This kind of slap was usually used in a rumba context.

Has anyone seen this slap technique used on the congas?
pavloconga

Postby Miguel7 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi. I'm new to this forum but I totally know how u feel. I've been playing congas for 2-3 years now and I own a set of LP Aspire drums. I started out on the LP Compact Congas and thought I had the slap down... till I tried it on a "real" conga. But it didn't take me long to figure out that the problem wasn't the drum, it was me. And like others on this page I'm still kinda critical of my technique, but I've found out from experience that slaps can be done on Aspire congas.

I think the thing that most helped me was (ironically) YouTube. If you just type in "congas slap" in search you'll get all kinds of (free) lessons and tips from ppl (either teachers or just congueros) Some names of people who explain it on there are Nate Torres, Rudy Quesada, and (in Spanish) El Panga.

Also another thing 2 consider is, are you right or left handed? I'm a lefty so my right-hand slap is average at best. If you're new to conga playing then u might want 2 think about switching hands. Don't get me wrong - you'll want to practice the slap on both hands - but for starters it may be best to work with your stronger hand first.

Hope that helps; if there's any other way I can help let me know :)
Miguel7

Postby G-Man » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:05 am

Hey Carlo,

Three rules that I use:

1. Relax, relax, relax!

2. Don't try "too" hard, but hit hard (like JC Says). Expect a sting, until your fingers get in shape.

3. I use a whip-like motion. Kinda like whipping the head, starting with the base of my hand ending with my finger tips,
finding the sweet-spot.

And then, when you think you have it down, watch Mongo's solo on Afro Blue (on Youtube). :shock:
He is a master of the slap and makes it look sooo easy.

Happy Slap New Year :D
G
What comes from the heart, goes to the heart
G-Man

Postby tigre77 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:48 pm

JC, question for you about that trick slap but if anyone has input by all means... I don't know much about the dynamics of music playing plus I have absolutely no experience playing with bands but it seems as if the trick slap is suited for low volume playing, no? If I were to play a slower son or softer jazz song where the conga is more backdrop yet much a part of the song that slap makes sense because why flick the wrist only to apply the brakes upon contact to lessen the sound. I implemented the trick slap and as I thought my fingers are not hard enough yet and my technique was lacking. So my question is the trick slap and if it is primarily suited/intended for low volume. I can't imagine loud montuno descarga slaps with that technique without hurting oneself but I may be wrong.
tigre77

Postby niallgregory » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:28 am

Dicemanb wrote:Thanks Cadenza,

I will work on that and like the 'lighter than air' idea.

Anyone seen the 'Brazilian' slap?

Suave

Hey man are you talking about the slap used on the atabaque ? The slap is played very inward on the drum , hard to explain so check this out . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVNSVkhb ... re=related
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Dicemanb » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:46 pm

Hey Niaill

First HNY to all on CP.
That is the slap I have seen Brazilian Dudes in London using. I has a different sound to the 'regular' conga slap.....any pointers??

Dice
Dicemanb

Postby Doctor_J » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:28 pm

I know I'm late, BUT I feel your pain because I just started learning the congas 4 months ago. I got an instructor to help me and show me the slaps. I ahve some LP Aspires as well 11" and 12" (weird sizes).....I personally think they are crap congas compared to the other LPs, Meinls, etc...because the wood seems really cheap in them. BUT if you are on a budget and dont have $400+ to shell out for a better conga they are better than nothing. I would practice for HOURS.....sitting in front of the congas doing slaps over and over and over.....I FINALLY mastered the closed and open slap with my right hand...but the left hands SUCKS....because I'm right handed....so I'm going to keep playing. Also playing with people helps too......I just started playing for my church......so that helps out alot too. One exercise that my teacher showed me was you take both congas......right hand on one and the left hand on the other......hit the right one with a regular hit, then left regular, left slap, right slap, left regular, left slap. Do that over and over and it will help you....it should sound like BOOM, BOOM, SLAP, SLAP, BOOM, SLAP if you do it right. It will help you develop the slaps, especially with your left hand. Also the skins do make a difference....if you have the regular skins on there slaps may be a bit harder to produce because you have to hit the drum a bit harder...but with synthetics they are alot easier to produce....I have Remo Nuskyns on my Aspires and slaps come easy....but at the church they have the regular skins on their LP Classics.....since I already learned to slap with right hand its not that difficult on regular skins, I just have to hit it a bit harder. there is also some kind of slap I seen people do alot in merengue they slap the middle of the drum with like a flat hand.....mastered that with the right as well....but the left is just not cooperating with me.

PS: I started to realize the LP Aspires quality when I started playing for my church because they have LP Classics....they sound SOOOO good. Since I started playing there I hate my LP Aspires now......but I'm about to by some LP Fiberglass Originals in a couple of weeks though so it will be on!
Doctor_J

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Please chek out my FREE videos on youtube under the heading of How to Play the Conga drum or type my name Johnny Conga in search and see what can be of help to you....
JohnnyConga

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises