Where is the "a caballo" rhythm from?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: Where is the "a caballo" rhythm from?

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:29 am

FidelsEyeglasses wrote:
Thomas Altmann wrote:Mark,

your record reservoire is amazing as always. Thanks for sharing this info!

The drum set is an old Trixon Telstar set with conical shells designed and manufactured by Karlheinz Weimer in Hamburg/Germany in the 60s and 70s. The were marketed in the States under the Vox brand name. Trixon (Weimer) also built the Spitfire series with flattened elliptical bass drums that allowed for mounting two pedals side by side. Those drums looked cool and different, but were actually not useful and failed on the market. Trixon is long out of business, but their obscure drums are still sought after by vintage gear hunters. Curious how that set has made it to the Discuba staff.

Greetings,

Thomas

Happy New Year Thomas!
WOW... thanks for that info about that drum set! I always wonder about it every time I see that cover.
What a wild looking set of drums! And that conical base drum!
Trixon Telstar, by Karlheinz Weimer in Hamburg/Germany in the 60s and 70s... very interesting!
Always my best regards to you Thomas :)

Mark

Yes the Trixton / Vox drums looked cool. The taered shells w/ 2 different sized heads per drum & the oval bass drum w/ jazzy tom arms & cymbal extensions were like a George Jetson style drumset of the future. You can make a bass drum in any odd size if you can tuck a custom shaped skin head.
Ernesto Pediangco

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises