Rumba etiquette

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: Rumba etiquette

Postby Miguel7 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:49 pm

While we're talking about rumba, I was wondering where can I go to learn the basics? For example, the instrumentation (other than congas and claves) is stuff I've never heard of. Shekere, cata, bata, etc. Also what does the rhythm sound like / what does each drum do?

Anyway I can play guaguancó and know rumba clave but I'd like to branch out into rumba. My playing has always been more PR-influenced; so while I love plena, bomba, PR-style guarachas, salsa etc. I thik it'd be nice to at least know enough about rumba to say I have a working knowledge of the music. Thanks :)
Miguel7

Postby windhorse » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Have you been here?
http://congamasterclass.com/
You should join up for for just a month and go through the videos methodically.. OMG you would learn SO much!
windhorse

Postby Miguel7 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:56 pm

No, I can't say I have. But I'll definitely keep it in mind! :D Right now my main focus on thepaid class end of things is more keyboard (which I'm weaker at than congas) and cuatro (which I just got and know nothing about). But once I have done these I'll definitely check this site out - it loos like they have some really big-name teachers as well as awesome vids. Thanks a lot :)
Miguel7

Postby Quinto Governor II » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:00 am

Miguel7 wrote:No, I can't say I have. But I'll definitely keep it in mind! :D Right now my main focus on thepaid class end of things is more keyboard (which I'm weaker at than congas) and cuatro (which I just got and know nothing about). But once I have done these I'll definitely check this site out - it loos like they have some really big-name teachers as well as awesome vids. Thanks a lot :)

Miguel7 I would watch as many ensemble videos of rumba as I could. Focus on the clave player and one of the other players. I would start with the gua-gua or cata player. Play along with that player, all the time listening to the clave. Do this until you can play it steady and in sync with clave. Then focus on another part. I would do the tumba part (salidor) next. If you have recording equipment, record each part - adding each part with subsequent tracks. Its best to use ear phones when recording. Don't be discouraged if you have timing issues in the beginning, if you keep at it, it will improve. windhorse as some excellent recordings. He may have some pointers also. Does congamasterclass still have the 3 day trial membership for $4.95
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby windhorse » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:36 am

Quinto Governor II wrote:windhorse as some excellent recordings. He may have some pointers also. Does congamasterclass still have the 3 day trial membership for $4.95

CG You're too kind,, :oops:

Yes they still have that 3 day trial for $4.95
They also have 6 different freebies on there which show you good stuff, but he doesn't methodically teach you like it does in the real lesson parts.. Mike Spiro is truly a gifted teacher, and breaks everything down so concretely that you GET it.
It's such a gift to have this resource on the internet! Okay </Advertisement>.
windhorse

Postby sjhendee » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks for all of your kind comments about the site. Mike, Jesus and myself thank you for your support. There are close to 300 videos on the site, a real labor of love...I have learned so much myself (I'm a trumpet player and HS Band Director by trade) just by watching them. More videos on the way!

Steve Hendee
www.CongaMasterClass.com
www.SambaMasterClass.com

www. NEW PROJECT Soon to be Released!-->.com
sjhendee

Postby Miguel7 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:52 pm

Quinto Governor II wrote:Miguel7 I would watch as many ensemble videos of rumba as I could. Focus on the clave player and one of the other players. I would start with the gua-gua or cata player. Play along with that player, all the time listening to the clave. Do this until you can play it steady and in sync with clave. Then focus on another part. I would do the tumba part (salidor) next. If you have recording equipment, record each part - adding each part with subsequent tracks. Its best to use ear phones when recording. Don't be discouraged if you have timing issues in the beginning, if you keep at it, it will improve.

Thank you very much for this answer. I'll have to see what kinds of rumba ensembles are out there making videos. Yes, I do have recording equipment and actually recording like you described is a big part of my music. I also play the keyboard, guitar and cuatro so it's always a good learning experience (sometimes tricky but a lot of fun in the long-run). So I'll definitely have to try that. :)
Miguel7

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises