Rudiments

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Rudiments

Postby Percussination » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:09 am

Hey, guys. I've read briefly here and there about applying rudiments to congas. Of course this is different than a snare drum because of the many different tones that you can get out of the drum.
My teacher taught me some ruffs on congas (open, open, muff, slap; open, heel, toe slap).

Anyone hear tried to apply the rudiments onto the congas or been taught some adaptations?

Please share!

Geoff
Percussination

Re: Rudiments

Postby Derbeno » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:55 am

There are many discussions on the subject. Do a search and ye shall find. :mrgreen:

From straight stuff like Stick Control for the Snare Drummer to other stuff where you use different notes like the below from Heinrich Klingman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQuj7Ag76Xw with the notation at http://noten.heinrichklingmann.com/Klin ... study3.pdf

Good luck!
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby GuruPimpi » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:34 am

Hello!

The stick control for snare was adapted to conga playing. I think the book is called something like Stoned hand drum for newbies or something and it also has a second part which title i don't know know. I think i have a copy somewhere, i will check it out. Years back i got it here on this forum. Has a lot 'boring' exercises which helped me a lot with foundations and speed... Double strokes are still killing me... ;) Got Heinrich's exercises to deal with in future...

Keep the groove!

PimpS
GuruPimpi

Postby Percussination » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:12 pm

Derbeno wrote:There are many discussions on the subject. Do a search and ye shall find. :mrgreen:

From straight stuff like Stick Control for the Snare Drummer to other stuff where you use different notes like the below from Heinrich Klingman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQuj7Ag76Xw with the notation at http://noten.heinrichklingmann.com/Klin ... study3.pdf

Good luck!

I've tried searching but couldn't find real descriptions of applying them, just people saying they do it.
Percussination

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:08 am

Got to the site called " NINJA DRUMMIST"...there are 400 rudiments and it shows you the hand to hand way of playing them...and you can also copy and print them out...let me know if that helps you...
JohnnyConga

Postby Herbal » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:16 am

JohnnyConga wrote:Got to the site called " NINJA DRUMMIST"...there are 400 rudiments and it shows you the hand to hand way of playing them...and you can also copy and print them out...let me know if that helps you...

Helped me, thanks.

Just picked up a travel conga today and these were just what I was looking for to work on my chops and figure this drum out.
Herbal

Postby Percussination » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:09 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Got to the site called " NINJA DRUMMIST"...there are 400 rudiments and it shows you the hand to hand way of playing them...and you can also copy and print them out...let me know if that helps you...

I searched "conga" on the website, and couldn't find anything. :S
Percussination

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Once again go to Google and type in search "Ninja Drummist" and then you apply these rudiments to the Conga drum..You won';t find rudiments under the heading of "Conga" online...JC
JohnnyConga

Postby roberthelpus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:53 pm

There's a link to Stoned Hand Drums on this page. http://rumbainstruments.blogspot.com/20 ... -post.html
roberthelpus

Postby Derbeno » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Well he gaves the notation with a legend of the symbols and the hand patterns.

Perhaps we misunderstood you. What exactly do you mean by "applying them"?

Percussination wrote:
Derbeno wrote:There are many discussions on the subject. Do a search and ye shall find. :mrgreen:

Good luck!

I've tried searching but couldn't find real descriptions of applying them, just people saying they do it.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby roberthelpus » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:54 pm

If we are talking about applying rudis in actual music then listen to Giovani and the others that are known as the major proponents of it.
roberthelpus

Postby Percussination » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:38 am

Derbeno wrote:Well he gaves the notation with a legend of the symbols and the hand patterns.

Perhaps we misunderstood you. What exactly do you mean by "applying them"?

Percussination wrote:

Good luck!

Yeah, I guess it wasn't too clear. I know many of the rudiments, but my aim to learn to fit these into conga playing, like which tones to use for each stroke. There are infinite combinations, but I'd like to know what people have tried and sounds good.
Percussination

Postby Percussination » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:39 pm

Hey guys. Checked out the link to Stoned Hand Drum book. Awesome! Thanks.
Percussination

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:44 am

All rhythms contain some basic rudiments. I have a limited repotoire but...when you watch Giovani Hildalgo for example, all the American rudiments are evident in his unique technique. He brings conga playing to a stellar level ! In addition to studying and playing many traditional Afro / Latin derived rhythms, he has practiced for years to be able to execute the same independance and sticking combinations, using his hands ! If I were to begin all over, I would study all the sticking techniques and rudiments as I learn to read staff notation and apply it as he did. Thats the KUNG FU of latin drumming ! Now, apply that to the rich variety of many many music styles asode from what pop culture media limits our ears to, and explore all latin American music styes & rhythms, study the most highly developed drum rhythms on the planet " East Indian " traditional "Ragas" and you will be the genius of the rhythms of all humanity ! You expressed an interest, now you can follow the path. It has been done and you can also do it. When you get it done, I can come to you for lessons ! :)
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby alabubba » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:20 pm

Ernesto Pediangco wrote:All rhythms contain some basic rudiments. I have a limited repotoire but...when you watch Giovani Hildalgo for example, all the American rudiments are evident in his unique technique. He brings conga playing to a stellar level ! In addition to studying and playing many traditional Afro / Latin derived rhythms, he has practiced for years to be able to execute the same independance and sticking combinations, using his hands ! If I were to begin all over, I would study all the sticking techniques and rudiments as I learn to read staff notation and apply it as he did. Thats the KUNG FU of latin drumming ! Now, apply that to the rich variety of many many music styles asode from what pop culture media limits our ears to, and explore all latin American music styes & rhythms, study the most highly developed drum rhythms on the planet " East Indian " traditional "Ragas" and you will be the genius of the rhythms of all humanity ! You expressed an interest, now you can follow the path. It has been done and you can also do it. When you get it done, I can come to you for lessons ! :)

I like this thought! I think of percussion exactly as a never-ending path of learning, except I am fully satisfied to learn and play as much as possible in the time allotted to me, and don't expect to ever be able to even be exposed to (much less learn and apply) the rhythms of all humanity - that body of knowledge must be vast indeed!
Bob

vids
alabubba

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises