Charanga Habanera's El Cantinero

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Charanga Habanera's El Cantinero

Postby TBMusic » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:05 am

Hi everyone, I know there are some fantastic minds on this forum so I thought I would get to the point ASAP.

I'm playing in a band that has chosen to play El Cantinero by Charanga Habanera. When I listen to it (the recorded version) I hear them playing a songo but I'm not 100%. I know they have also gone to Casacra and bell in the coro later in the song but the into theme is my main concirn. Can anyone please assist me with this problem?

Thank You Very Much

T
TBMusic

Re: Charanga Habanera's El Cantinero

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Sup T, Charanga Habanera was one of the early bands to lead the charge in continuing to develop & evolve 'Timba'. their conguero's have been known for playing very open variations of Songo & Marcha, to the point where now 'Timba' as a genre has countless set patterns which are applicable in various different sections of any given arrangement. Charanga Habanera congueros also have several variations of Timba marchas which were unique/accredited to them.
I'd have to go back and listen to the track again as its been a while, but I can almost safely say he would be playing an open marcha with Songo influences.
I had this conversation with David C. & his timbalero while over in Cuba regarding the marchas etc which were used across their recordings etc.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Re: Charanga Habanera's El Cantinero

Postby TONE74 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:02 pm

Is it the same as the Tirso Duarte song in the Timba Cubana album?

Answering my own question it is, at least on some of the lyrics. Checked my charanga albums and don't have it. On Tirso's it sounds like a merensongo or songo hard to tell. I'm most likely wrong, just trying to help.
TONE74

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises