play-a-longs

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: play-a-longs

Postby niallgregory » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Yeah i bought it a few years ago and really enjoy it tbh . There is a section for beginner , intermediate , advanced solos , then a play along section for you to strut your stuff . Some good players on it 6/8 tune with Bata , latin jazz , son montuno etc ....
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby burke » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:15 pm

Dat be what I'm lookin for!

Thanks Brother!!!
Burke
burke

Postby gdrumfoot » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:07 pm

More great info, thanks for the imput. Haven't been on for a while. Joined an amateur concert band on multi percussion (some latin, some orchestral, some film score effects) nothing difficult, high school stuff I guess, but great fun, and I'm on my own with only a drum-set player for company!! I'm busy!
My rock covers band will be recording some tracks soon, one of which will be Santana's Europa. I'm only a moderate conga player so could I ask you guys what rhythms to play as the song, and I'm guessing most of you will have heard it, is in three parts, slow start, funky middle and slips into a double time thing towards the end. I'm looking forward to this and would like to get as close to Raul's patterns as close as my technique will allow.
To all sonic butterflies -love,peace & chocolate.
gdrumfoot

Postby niallgregory » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:01 pm

gdrumfoot wrote:More great info, thanks for the imput. Haven't been on for a while. Joined an amateur concert band on multi percussion (some latin, some orchestral, some film score effects) nothing difficult, high school stuff I guess, but great fun, and I'm on my own with only a drum-set player for company!! I'm busy!
My rock covers band will be recording some tracks soon, one of which will be Santana's Europa. I'm only a moderate conga player so could I ask you guys what rhythms to play as the song, and I'm guessing most of you will have heard it, is in three parts, slow start, funky middle and slips into a double time thing towards the end. I'm looking forward to this and would like to get as close to Raul's patterns as close as my technique will allow.

From what i remember the first part of the tune is a bolero rhythm on congas , then a 2/3 tumbao for the double time section at the end .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby gdrumfoot » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks Niall, that sounds about right to me, no thoughts on the middle then?
To all sonic butterflies -love,peace & chocolate.
gdrumfoot

Postby niallgregory » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:44 pm

gdrumfoot wrote:Thanks Niall, that sounds about right to me, no thoughts on the middle then?

Not sure what you mean by the middle mate ? can you stick up a link to the version you are talking about ?
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:03 am

I began playing congas to my fathers records of Cuban music. I also learned to play just like the players I was listening to on those records. Mongo, Ray B, Tommy Lopez,Tata Guines, Frankie Malabe, Latin Joe Colon, Mario Galagarza(who taught me Tommy' Lopez' Mozambique version) and many others that played in New York city, but not as well known to the public at large.
So here is Tommy Lopez playing one Conga drum for 6 minutes...his created pattern for the recording...Now if you don't know how he is playing it I will download a video for you to see how...but use your ears first...if u can say it u can play it...u just have to work it out... and then try to "keep up" with him playing what and the way he is playing this pattern...it's not easy, you can believe that and just on one drum!...forget about the video with it...now just play along with Tommy!...
http://youtu.be/i41S5Nl5F6Y
JohnnyConga

Postby Derbeno » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:27 am

niallgregory wrote:
gdrumfoot wrote:Thanks Niall, that sounds about right to me, no thoughts on the middle then?

Not sure what you mean by the middle mate ? can you stick up a link to the version you are talking about ?

Yea, it's indeed a bolero to start, then straight Tumbao to the end, the tempo increases as you go along. The middle would still be the 2/3 Tumbao, as Niall indicated, at a slower tempo.

When we play it I also found that a simple 2/2 Samba pattern after the Bolero section ends also goes well with the trap drummer. Try both and see what you personally fancy.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises