MAYUTO CORREA

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: MAYUTO CORREA

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:55 am

Hey, what is all the fighting in this thread about I wonder.
Let me just throw in these three essentials:

1. Evolution (and there IS and has always been evolution)

2. Versatility (which also means NOT sticking to dogmas, fixed patterns etc.)

3. Improvisation (creative work of the players who really create something new)

- is what constitutes the essence of the many shades of jazz,
including Latin Jazz

So BnB nailed it here in my opinion:
bongosnotbombs wrote:There's plenty of congas in modern jazz nowadays. Congas in modern jazz often have a very different role than the older styles. Much more improvisational, nothing like salsa or son. That old school stuff is cool, but it is also old.

Again, nobody would not pay any respect to the great achievements the conga legends like the ones Johnny Conga mentioned have brought about.
It is simply a long journey from there to, say, the kind of Latin-inspired modern jazz or whatever you may call it that you find here, e.g.:
Check out Don Byron´s "Music for Six Musicians" from 1995 http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/35447083-music-for-six-musicians , a masterpiece with Jerry Gonzales on conga and also Andy Gonzales on some tracks. Now that album is what I would call "creative work" on a strong Latin Jazz basis. Listen and you will understand what I mean. There has been a quasi-follow up-album also: "You are #6" with Milton Cardona on congas, also great, some tracks with calypso rhythm.
Peace & drum
Mike

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises