Muscle Cramps - Does anyone else get them?  What do you do for them?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby limberic » Tue May 22, 2001 2:20 am

I hate to admit it but playing tumbao, e.g., I have a hard time playing a full 10 minutes without stopping or changing hands due to cramping in my forearms (tops & bottoms near elbow). I also get this cramping pain in the top of my left hand (dorsal surface opposite palm). Maybe it's my age BUT I don't get these cramps when I play djembe. Am I playing too tense? Do you use more arms and chest on conga compared to djembe? Anyone have any ideas?
limberic

Postby Bill Losh » Tue May 22, 2001 11:16 am

Hi Eric,
About those cramps, the one in your hand is probably coming because you are still arching your hand while doing the heel toe, think palm fingers. Flaten that hand and let your fingers naturally bounce at the joint where your fingers meet the palm. Djembe players do the arched hand thing and get away with it because they don't need to hit as hard. This will also put your left hand flat on the drum on the second beat so the slap on the third beat with your right hand will be nice and crisp.
The cramp in your forearm is probably because you are just thinking too hard about what you are doing, relax, change the pattern you are playing, maybe one of your Djembe patterns at the same tempo and time then without stopping go back to the tumboa.
I get a cramp in my right forearm when I play marangue because it's a rhythm I have to think about, it's simple, but it isn't natural to me, so I sometimes play the Tambora part with a stick in my right hand just to break it up.
By the way, your explaination of 4/4 and clave was quite good!
Bill
Bill Losh

Postby paulo da salvia » Tue May 22, 2001 12:23 pm

hi limberic,
about your cramps i can only say that usually happens:
1) if you're working too much with the same hand. So when you feel your muscle is getting harder i think you better stop and start working with the other hand
2) if you're not working in the right way, especially for the cramps in your left hand while practicing the tumbao.
I agree with Bill's post: just relax. I think relaxing is maybe the most important thing in the tumbao tecnich: you cannot get the right movement without relaxin. Don't take care about speedy. It will come, no problem.
Start your movement slow and relaxed and then increase the speed gradually. Take care about sounds, instead.
And the other thing is to keep your hand flat: this is really necessary ti reach good precision, speedy and sound in the tumbao.
Keep practicing this way and your cramps will disappear, I'm sure of it!
Good playing and stay tuned!!!
paulo
paulo da salvia

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises