Afro-cuban drum systems

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Afro-cuban drum systems

Postby pcastag » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:55 pm

Wondering about how many differnt systems there are represented in Cuba,
Here's what I know of so far

Arara
Bantu (palo, yuka, makuta)
iyesa
Tambor bata
Tambor olokun
Bembe
Tumba Frances ( via haiti)

Considering that some of these have multiple rhythms ( bata, arara) and are quite complex I think it's amazing the extent of African based drumming that thrives on the island. Some of these styles are dying out, particularly the arara, iyesa and olokun, or have been absorbed into the bata liturgy. Any other rhythmic systems I'm missing or don't know about? this obviously does not include the popular forms ( rumba, comparsa etc) but just the rythms that are directly linked to african heritage. ( of course the others are as well, just a bit more creolized)
PC
pcastag

Re: Afro-cuban drum systems

Postby jorge » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:04 pm

There are a few more.
Although only very limited Abakua music is played publicly, Abakua musicians have had very important influences on other Afrocuban music, and on Cuban popular music as well. The oral history taught through Abakua language and music has also played a very important role in survival of some elements of African culture in Cuba.
Guiro, played with 2 or 3 chequeres and 1 or 2 tumbadoras, is distinct from bata, and could be considered a separate form by itself. Although many of the same songs are sung, the rhythms and instrumentation are different from toques de bata.
Cajon de muerto is another variation of Afrocuban religious drumming that has become more popular recently in Cuba.
In Matanzas, bacoso is similar to bembe but is played with the hands rather than with sticks.
jorge

Postby windhorse » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:39 pm

Jorge, thanks for the great post. This is the first I've heard of Bacoso. Where could I look for more information on this form?

This may not be the thread for rhythm part interchangeability, but bringing up guiro reminded me of a discussion we had at our last rumba about how the bombo based caja lead in Guiro, Columbia Segundo, and Bembe's bombo-based segundo parts are potentially interchangeable.
windhorse

Postby pcastag » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:41 pm

man, I knew I forgot something. I've heard so many variations on Cajon de muerto I'm not sure if I'd call it a sytem though, in some I've heard straight up rumba ( los nani) others seem to be a variation of palo rhythems ( palo congo, makuta). I wonder when guiros were begun in Havana,or if they even started there, they almost seem to be a poor man's version of fundamento, I know today's version is simply tumba. guiro and guataca, but I've heard lots of older recordings where a second drum is included, almost like a spin off on bembe. I've also heard Abakwa rhythms called Brikamo, does that simply refer to a specific rhythm?
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby jorge » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:18 am

I have not seen anything written about bacoso, and minimal about brikamo. You need to talk to drummers from Matanzas.
The word Brikamo (Bricamo) is used by some to mean the ritual language of Abakua, and also refers to a secret society similar to Abakua, from the same Calabar / Carabali region of Africa, but membership is not limited to men. That said, I am told that there is only one family left in Cuba, descendents of the Calle family (Florencio Calle) in Matanzas, that practices Brikamo. Of the 2 audio recorded songs I have heard called Brikamo, Mongo's version does not sound like Abakua, and Afrocuba de Matanzas' version sounds very much like Abakua.
The best documentation of Brikamo I have seen is a DVD video by Afrocuba de Matanzas called 50 Years On, with a long performance of Bricamo song, drum and dance. There is also a long performance of Abakua, by the same Matanzas singers, drummers and dancers, so you can see the difference. Regalao on bonko enchemiya. I think the DVD is still available, try the website:
http://www.earthcds.com/caribbean/cuba/ ... ears.shtml
jorge

Postby niallgregory » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:17 pm

I studied Bricamo in the home of minini of afro cuba a few years ago . i will dig out some of the notation and give you a look 8)
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Derbeno » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:09 pm

A good example of Cajon pa los Muertos by Nolan Warden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCyTDtu0PV0

Search for a further two he has uploaded. The CD (one of my favs) is available on Amazon and Earth CD and contains two tracks recorded at a live ceremony
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Derbeno wrote:A good example of Cajon pa los Muertos by Nolan Warden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCyTDtu0PV0

Search for a further two he has uploaded. The CD (one of my favs) is available on Amazon and Earth CD and contains two tracks recorded at a live ceremony

Thanks Derbeno,

Conga is playing Mula part for Bembé and Cajón bajo is playing Iyá part for Ñongo.

Saludos,

JG
tamboricua

Postby pavloconga » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:10 pm

pcastag wrote:Wondering about how many differnt systems there are represented in Cuba,
Here's what I know of so far

Arara
Bantu (palo, yuka, makuta)
iyesa
Tambor bata
Tambor olokun
Bembe
Tumba Frances ( via haiti)

Hi,
When I was in Cuba I studied in la casa of the great rumbero Mario Dreke Alfonso "Chavalonga" (R.I.P.).
He was the creator of the 'Tahona' rhythm and was known as "El rey de la Tahona."

http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com/2007 ... longa.html

http://www.amazon.com/En-El-Barrio-De-Ataré/dp/B000ZNMB68/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316646517&sr=301-1

ciao
Pavlo
pavloconga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises