Bomba Sica question

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Bomba Sica question

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi,

I have overheard that there is a middle (segundo) part between requinto and buleador in folkloric Bomba Sicá. What is this drum part called (if there is any), and what is the hand pattern and rhythm? I was thinking of something like:

B...O.O.

Does anybody know? Jorge G.?

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Re: Bomba Sica question

Postby Anonimo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:29 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Last edited by Anonimo on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Postby niallgregory » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:38 pm

Thomas Altmann wrote:Hi,

I have overheard that there is a middle (segundo) part between requinto and buleador in folkloric Bomba Sicá. What is this drum part called (if there is any), and what is the hand pattern and rhythm? I was thinking of something like:

B...O.O.

Does anybody know? Jorge G.?

Thomas

This might be what you mean Thomas .
http://www.alexpertout.com/lbomba.htm Alex has a second drum (Seguidora) part notated here . I have heard it recorded elsewhere , will have a look and see .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Anonimo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Anonimo

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:36 pm

Thank you Cuco & Niall,

That's exactly what I meant. I couldn't find my notes anymore, looked everywhere in the internet, and at YouTube I couldn't find anything but the 2-drum version. Unfortunately I forgot the source, too. I think this part is optional or, as you (Cuco) said, perhaps a more updated version.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby niallgregory » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:49 pm

Hey Thomas , check out he link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bomba-Interlude/dp/B003NM2DSE i used a second drum part for a piece on my last cd . cheers . Niall .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Anonimo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:34 pm

Anonimo

Postby niallgregory » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:01 am

Love that first video from Loiza . Great energy 8)
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Anonimo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:40 am

Anonimo

Postby Mr. Conga » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:14 am

There is a very big Bomba music community in New York city. Plenty of concerts, and clinics.
You just have to know the right people. Most came from the iland, and stayed in NY, brought their barriles, and roots with them, and kept it going.

New York is one of the most blessed states when it comes to Bomba music, and groups. It always has.
But Pleneros, and bomberos usually dont hang out with congeros as much, except the young Pleneros-Bomberos.
The real old Bomberos are really celosos with their tradition, and only believe in playing in the barriles.
There i also plenty of young new bomba groups forming in the East coast keepig the oriinal rythms, origina instruments passed down by families, of old Bomberos, such as the Ayala family.
Their is bomba music-summits competitions across the U.S
Specially in Chicago, there is a yearly summit, where bomba groups from all the U.S and P.R get together for a weekend, and compete.
and do concerts.
Mr. Conga

Postby jorge » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:48 am

Nice clips posted by Leedy. The drummer/dancer interactions are great. Some of the NYC bomba players are also great rumberos, although there is a tendency to play either rumba or bomba at a given time rather than mixing them.
jorge

Postby Cangrejero7 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:21 am

Sometimes (and this isnt very common) they will overlap rhthyms that are related so they complement each other
Ex: Yuba with a Corve. Bomba is not Rumba so usually only the primo improvises while the buleador plays the ritmo but on some occasions some interplay happens
Then again it may be a variant of a rhthym or a different rhthym that is related. Theres more than one way to do Yuba, sica, or Cuembe depending on region, style, and personal preference. Like Sica and Danue/Paule/Gracima/Bambule de Santurce...They all fall under the same tree.
Is there a specific site or video you heard this from that we can listen to
Cangrejero7

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises