playing stamina - technique

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby congabebe » Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:38 pm

I have been experiencing arm cramps and fatique. My day job has been taking the life out of me and I haven't been practicing like I was. When I am tired like that I have discovered I can not keep up. What builds the playing stamina? I know practice is one of the first things I need to do, but does pushup's actually give you stamina or would weight training and aerobics. I know that there is a difference in building muscle mass and building strength /endurance. But what does it for conga players. I need some advise.

Thank you,
Congabebe :D
congabebe

Postby Simon B » Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:07 pm

I'll tell you what I think could be the best exercise for congas in the world - Kung Fu. Its great for general strength and stamina (though lots of other physical activities are too). But more than any other martial art or exercise that I know of (I've tried a few) it emphasises wrist and arm conditioning in both HARD and SOFT exercises. All those warm-up exercises that Giovanni demonstrates on his Masterclass video? They are almost exactly the same as the soft exercises we do in Kung Fu (and there are hundreds more). As for hard exercises - they can get crazy, e.g. press-ups on the wrists, on the fingers, whirling round great big poles, etc but they sure toughen you up. Finally Kung Fu utilises the techniques of Traditional Chinese Medicine - especially massage and T'ai Chi - and these are fantastic ways to heal and sooth injuries, i.e. arm cramps.

I'm still trying to work out a way to use Kung Fu in my actual conga phrasing, but haven't yet reached this level!

Yours

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:45 pm

:D You want Stamina? Well the only way to get it on congas is practice pratice practice....Playing along with music at home and crank it up and play as hard and as long as you can. Unless you like to Run,which helps to build up stamina. the other approach would be to learn to relax while playing without giving up the power in playing...kinda like a Zen approach.......Breathing slow and deep......the only other way would be to be in a band that plays 5 times a week...my 3 cents....At your Service......JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Bongo Boy » Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:50 am

What has helped my COMFORT in playing, not necessarily my stamina, is chest presses and shoulder exercises (captive weights). In my very short experience, I've found relaxation and breathing to be important too--and, I think, one drum is quite a bit easier than two!

If you're experiencing actual cramps (spasms) and not simply soreness, this sounds very, very weird. Are you at the computer (or similar) most of the day and possibly getting repetitive motion problems?

I initially had problems, mostly with forearm muscles. I just shortened practice times but practiced 2 to 3 times a day for a while, and the problem went away. Until I started guitar :D

Edited By Bongo Boy on July 29 2002 at 21:54
Bongo Boy

Postby 120decibels » Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:14 pm

One of the major problems in my playing, whether it's drumset, congas, vibraphone, etc. is tension. Until recently, I played everything with a lot of tension in my hands and arms. It was always a struggle to play as fast or as long as I wanted to.

Two things happened in the past five years that have taught me to relax. I started playing steel drums, which require a relaxed stroke, and I started studying with a conga teacher that has really helped me to play with a relaxed technique. Both events have helped my stamina and skill.

My $0.02,

120dB
120decibels

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises