What are your favorite rhythms?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: What are your favorite rhythms?

Postby jorge » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:55 am

Killer conga, that's Cuba. Great video, JC, I hadn't seen that one on YouTube before, Yoruba Andabo en la calle.
Until Esquina Habanera closed down last week, we ended every Saturday night with a conga, all those songs and more, with everyone in the club dancing, laughing, drink in hand. Anduriña no seas mala lleva me contigo pa la habana...Mala maña tu tienes mala maña... Mambele mayoral mambele... ñññÓ... Nothing else like it, samba comes close, but no cigar. I'm gonna miss it tomorrow night, maybe I'll stay home and rerun this clip all night. Killer. Gracias asere.
jorge

Postby dabesa » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:13 am

KidCuba wrote:I
As for a "popular" rhythm, I really enjoy Mozambique.

I love Mozambique too!
Very cool to play 8)
dabesa

Postby KidCuba » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Good to see other people on here enjoy the Tomasito Marcha Iyesa

I've been at it for about two weeks, and cannot get it down smooth.

Something about the Bass Tip combinations that just throw me off, along with the space between the beginning open tones.
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Postby joaozinho » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Not a easy one but you will get it!!
joaozinho

Postby Quinto Governor II » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:22 pm

The Mozambique bell pattern and cata patterns for rumba.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:02 am

Quinto Governor II wrote:The Mozambique bell pattern and cata patterns for rumba.

Now youre talking :P
KING CONGA

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:13 pm

I had the opportunity to play Palo with a columbian dance instructor a while back. the cross tempo feel of the rhythm worked great, driving 6/8 underneath and the lead tumba playing more of a 1/2 time feel to call the dance. mid way we accelerated the rhythm to a blistering tempo and I'd push it into "fix" (between 4/4 and 6/8) on the Tumba. The crowd loved this and it was totally fun to play.

I love all of the rhythms that the other members have listed as well. But the experience of ripping Palo with a brilliantly skilled dancer was great! it certainly wasn't a traditional interpretation of the dance, but I found the rhythm is imminently danceable and adaptable. this type of interpretation of traditional rhythms has always interested me, although I understand that it may offend some traditional players or purists of the form - sorry in advance :oops:

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby KidCuba » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:14 am

Well, you can add a new rhythm to my list of favorites...

Guarapachengueo - did I spell that right?

I am currently working through a 2-drum adaptation for the salidor and tres dos, and had a nice break through during my last practice session. The two clave cycle made it difficult for me to internalize all the tones and timing, but now that I am getting the feel for it - I am having a good time playing with the rhythm.
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Postby windhorse » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:22 pm

rhythmrhyme wrote:I had the opportunity to play Palo with a columbian dance instructor a while back. the cross tempo feel of the rhythm worked great, driving 6/8 underneath and the lead tumba playing more of a 1/2 time feel to call the dance. mid way we accelerated the rhythm to a blistering tempo and I'd push it into "fix" (between 4/4 and 6/8) on the Tumba. The crowd loved this and it was totally fun to play.
RR

Following is a recording I made of Francisco Aguabella killing it on the caja in a Palo dance class 5 years ago at the Humboldt camp!
He used two sticks. A shorter one in his left hand where he clicked it on the bearing edge while striking the head like a Klingon with the larger right handed stick. He punches the left hand on the drum getting a bass before each big tone on the downbeat, even while holding that stick in his left hand. (this makes the drum roar from a muffled low tone into a much louder sound as the attack increases tonally)
Another interesting fact is that the bell is the regular bembe 6/8 bell rather than the on-beat 6/8 Haitiano bell.
I'm still amazed every time I listen to this recording. Aguabella!!!!! OMG!!! :mrgreen:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10287309/francescopalocaja.mp3
windhorse

Postby davidpenalosa » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:38 pm

windhorse wrote: the regular bembe 6/8 bell rather than the on-beat 6/8 Haitiano bell.

Thanks for your use of the term on-beat bell rather than l*ng bell. :D

That was very gratifying!
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby jorge » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:35 am

windhorse wrote: Following is a recording I made of Francisco Aguabella killing it on the caja in a Palo dance class 5 years ago at the Humboldt camp! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10287309/francescopalocaja.mp3

That is very powerful drumming by Francisco Aguabella, but it is definitely not palo, sounds like bembe.
jorge

Postby rhythmrhyme » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:32 am

jorge wrote:
windhorse wrote: Following is a recording I made of Francisco Aguabella killing it on the caja in a Palo dance class 5 years ago at the Humboldt camp! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10287309/francescopalocaja.mp3

That is very powerful drumming by Francisco Aguabella, but it is definitely not palo, sounds like bembe.

Ya, not the best recording... it's hard to clearly recognize the parts of the rhythm that are familiar to me, but it wouldn't be the first time. I'm not a traditionally trained cuban folkloric musician so I tend to keep the core elements of the rhythm more transparent. Perhaps after a few more years I'll be more inclined to abstract the rhythms towards a more cuban feel, likely a trip or two to Humbolt would help on this front 8) I saw a UTube vid recently that was labeled as Columbia, but it was clearly bembe. Other times, I just can't make out wtf is being played... just too abstracted, more like it's being played for the musician (drummer) rather than the listener.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby windhorse » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:22 pm

It's quite likely that I have it labeled wrong. It would take much digging to clear it up, so don't hold your breath. Also likely that I made an assumption without real verification, and it wouldn't be the first time. Jorge, you might have been there that year. It was 2004 - I think. Anybody got a schedule from that year?
windhorse

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:05 am

Riley103 wrote:
I don't understand question

What are your favorite rhythms?
[/url][/quote]
Last edited by bongosnotbombs on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bongosnotbombs

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:30 pm

KidCuba wrote:Well, you can add a new rhythm to my list of favorites...

Guarapachengueo - did I spell that right?

I am currently working through a 2-drum adaptation for the salidor and tres dos, and had a nice break through during my last practice session. The two clave cycle made it difficult for me to internalize all the tones and timing, but now that I am getting the feel for it - I am having a good time playing with the rhythm.

"Guarapachangueo" :wink:
FidelsEyeglasses

PreviousNext

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises