Rings and Things

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Rings and Things

Postby mydogsowner » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:52 pm

I'm curious if you play drums with your rings, or bracelets, on?

I have a hard time taking my wedding band off some days and worry about damaging the bearing edge or skins.
mydogsowner

Re: Rings and Things

Postby onile » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:30 pm

Alafia mydogsowner!
I hope that you are well!

Most players I've come to know don't wear finger jewelry when playing, even when I was married, I would wear a chain around my neck and put my ring on it while I played so as not to loose it. There are those however who don't seem to have a problem with wearing a wedding band while playing.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-CBaed_RXU
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Thomas Altmann » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:02 pm

OMG ... The first thing I learned when I started playing congas was to stripe off all of these gems! Otherwise you would damage your hands and fingers, you may damage the drum, spoil the sound, and last not least, you could even damage your jewelry, too. My wife resented me terribly for not wearing my wedding ring, because I didn't want to constantly take it off and put it on, to the effect of losing it one day ... I even take off my Idefá (Orula bracelet) before playing congas or bongos; I only wear it when playing batá.

No matter what anybody else is doing; nobody will ever have me wear fingerrings while playing hand drums, no way! I don't even want to imagine how the ring cuts in my finger without being able to get it off ...

Greetings,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:45 pm

Couple of guys I know wear necklaces they can put their rings on when they play.
bongosnotbombs

Postby CongaTick » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:13 pm

Liquid soap it off!! put it on a necklace or in your pocket. do not play with rings.
CongaTick

Postby jorge » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:20 pm

Anga used to play with rings on, others also. I never liked it and also found that it scratched up the ring, so I always took off my wedding band to play. At one gig I put it in the pocket of some new pants, it fell out without my realizing it, and must have rolled and gotten kicked around by the dancers. I realized on my way home and went back to look for it, but never found it. My wife was not happy. I made it up to her, and am saving up for a new ring. I think the chain around your neck is a good idea, if you wear chains. I also take off my watch to play. I have almost gotten into fights asking people to take off rings and watches when they play my drum at rumbas, although that is usually with people who can't play anyway and last about a minute on the drum before someone kicks them off.
jorge

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:24 am

You should not play wearing jewelry on your fingers and wrist is guarantee you
are going to damage it plus the drum heads will suffer too.
RitmoBoricua

Postby mydogsowner » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks for confirming what I already thought. I will get a chain just for wearing my ring around my neck when I can get it off with liquid soap

I guess it gives me another reason to watch my salt intake too now.
mydogsowner

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:01 am

I don’t recommend that anyone play hand drums with rings, not so much because you’ll hurt your fingers but because you will, in time, cause damage to not just to the skin but possibly the bearing edge.
This is especially true when your congas are equipped with REMO Fiberskins. These synthetic skins are made with a very thin cosmetic sheet like material that covers the actual synthetic head.
Hope this helps.
K.C.
KING CONGA

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises