Basic tumbao heel-finger question. - Basic Technique

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby 120decibels » Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:20 pm

This is one of the best threads I've read on this forum! I will share my experience because I think it complements what is already here.

I have a great deal of experience playing classical and rock drums and percussion. I had the benefit of a fantastic teacher in college who really diversified my playing. While studying predominantly classical percussion, I was able to dabble in latin, calypso, steel drums, and many other styles.

I picked up serious study of congas and latin percussion a couple of years ago. I struggled through a few teachers who lacked real experience and teaching style. For a while I thought that I had spent all of my luck in college.

However, a few months ago, a friend of mine turned me on the a truly phenomenal teacher here in Washington, D.C (Sam Turner). He has experience playing with the likes of Mongo and Lionel Hampton. However he also has a great deal of experience teaching.

He shows me a lot of rhythms. We play them together and he teaches me how to bring my own experience and musicality to them. However, he also teaches me about playing in numerous situations. I have not built enough skill yet, but Sam has students play with him at dance classes to show them how to play in that environment. Sam also lets his student sit in at gigs, playing everything from guiro to maracas to quinto to bongos. It is through these experiences that I look forward to putting some of the stuff that we do in lessons to practice.

I have found a diamond in the rough and I am thankful. My message here is that you shouldn't give up the search for a good teacher.

Zach
120decibels

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises