John Santos in Germany

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

John Santos in Germany

Postby Thomas Altmann » Thu May 31, 2012 3:47 pm

Just for those who haven't been informed yet - and I might equally write this in German: John Santos will be in Germany from tomorrow on for a couple of weeks. I think he'll be in Frankfurt tomorrow. In Hamburg, he will give a lecture on Monday, 4th of June, on the topic of Rumba, and on Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th he is scheduled to give percussion workshops for beginners and advanced students, repectively. I'll be there, because I have learned that each time I didn't go, I had missed something. Call Almut Kluth (040-5538853) for infos.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Re: John Santos in Germany

Postby niallgregory » Thu May 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Damn if i had of known about this i would have gone . Where abouts in Germany is he coming to ?
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu May 31, 2012 7:20 pm

I attended a wonderful 6 part lecture series of his on rumba a couple of years ago. John is an excellent lecturer, a great musician and a very warm and humble person. I think I've seen him perform at least 5 times in various settings.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:36 am

Niall,

I am not informed about John's schedule, but you can also contact Almut via AlmutPercubassion@web.de . It should be of interest for German percussionists that an Irish conga player considers to travel and see John over here. I think it's a shame that the Munich workshop had to be cancelled for lack of participation, and the Hamburg date seems to be meager, too.

I have my own theory about - and attitude towards - the decline in popularity of Afro-Cuban percussion in Germany, and the reluctance of professional and advanced players to give room to further progress.

Although I am largely self-taught and had a lot of teachers along my way, I have to say that as a teacher, John has been my favorite, because he is always there for you, wouldn't hold back a single detail that might help you, and has no inclination to self-aggrandizement (like so many others). I saw him perform in a rumba setting, which convinced me totally of his musicality. I love his warm tone and no-nonsense, old school style of playing. Plus, I'm happy to call him a friend after all these years. In this respect, I second Geordie's notion.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:56 am

HI Thomas....I know I am not as known as John, but I would love to come to Hamburg, Mannheim, where ever and do some Conga Intensives...would you have a connection over there I could contact to talk about bringing me over there?...Tks Thomas
JohnnyConga

Postby oliver » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:27 am

I will try to assist to the lectura of john santos. i hope i won't be cancelled. it's a pleasure to see such a nice player here in hamburg/germany. and johnnyconga, when you come here, i also will try to come. i saw some excellent videos of you in youtube and would enjoy to see you here, too.
oliver

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi Johnny,

without going into detail, I think it's not the best time to think of going to Germany for workshops; I was trying to express that in my post. As far as I'm concerned, I'd be glad if I got my own business straight, so I wouldn't take on the responsibility to invite anybody; even if I would love to attend a workshop with you (and hang out with you to listen to them good old stories ...).

Mannheim has the only music conservatory in Germany where you can make an exam in Latin Percussion. José Cortijo runs the show there. But apart from that, of course you cannot compare Mannheim with Hamburg ... :wink:

Just kidding.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises