2 Drum Combos - reasons for differences?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Postby CongaCaja » Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:29 pm

So, most vendors sell a standard packaging of 2 drum combos with a quinto (11) and conga (11 3/4).

However, there have been posts within various topic at the forum that the conga and tumba combo is more traditional cuban.

If you read the topic "Drum Combinations, Which drums?"
The question is posed that if one owns 3 drums, but only is able to take 2...which ones to take?
And the response was: quinto and tumba

Now, I can understand the difference between the vendor's standard packaging and cuban tradition, but I don't understand the 2 drum gigging advice (quinta/tumba) relative to the "tradition" advice.

My reason: I getting ready to order a pair (2) of drums. Fyi, I'm a 20+ yr stick drummer who is now learning with the hand drums

Anyone want to take a stab at this?

Also, If my three assertions are incorrect me on that as well....thanks in advance...

caja :D

Edited By CongaCaja on Sep. 08 2002 at 19:35
CongaCaja

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:52 pm

:D Hi ...IN latin music it has always been Quinto/Tumba. Just remember that they are ALL congas. It depends on the sound you want to use. Today everybody wants to play 3 congas. Standard quinto in the middle Segundo(conga) to your left and Tumbadora to your right, if your righty. Opposite if lefty. The typical tuning for the Qunto is C and the Tumba is G below middle C, a fourth apart. It has always been that way,tradicionally. There is no difference in reference to "traditional Cuban" tuning to the way we have always tuned. I hope this helps.....At your Service..JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby CongaCaja » Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:17 pm

Thanks for the reply Johnny,but....
...I think I'll make my question a bit more direct.

If one were to purchase only 2 drums (for the time being) would it better to go with the 11 & 11.75 combo or the 11.75 & 12.5 combo....or maybe 11 & 12.5 combo ?

Yes, I know "it depends on the sound that I want", but I'm looking for opinions of experienced players and their reasons. Some reasons I might guess would be...

- ease of playing for beginner?

- tuning range relative to other instruments of ensemble
( eg. "I need the 11 in. quinto pop to cut thru" or "I need the 12.5 for the bass")

- tuning range relative to each drum (too much or not enough difference between drums)

I really like to hear personal opinion that is *explained* with reasons or experiences. That way I can sort through what is right for me.

Again...thanks.
(This board has been quite interesting)

caja

ps. my apologies for posting this topc in the wrong category, but I did see a way to move the topc after being posted...oops.

Edited By CongaCaja on Sep. 09 2002 at 00:49
CongaCaja

Postby tamboricua » Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:29 am

Hola CongaCaja, hope all is well! IMHO, you should go with the conga 11 3/4 and tumbadora 12 1/2. The "quinto" was created for soloing purposes. If you are a beginner, I believe you won't be soloing for now. My teacher Michael Spiro, recommends to practice all technique exercises, warm ups, and marchas on a very low tuned tumbadora. If you can get a slap from a very low tune tumbadora, trust me you will get it on a crank up "quinto" drum later. From experience, I do have big hands and is very uncomfortable to practice technique exercises and marchas on a "quinto" drum. Get a drum that your hands will fit nicely, and feel comfortable to practice on. If you will be playing AfroCuban base music, the conga and tumba will go nicely. A conga drum will give you a heavier sound than a quinto will do. "Un masacote pesao", verdad Johnny? If you get a pop gig, where normally the tuning is higher, you always can crank a little bit the conga.

Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio ;)
tamboricua

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:00 am

Muchas Gracias Jorge!

I appreciate the reasoning that you provided with you advice. I'll be ordering my drums tomorrow. And now? practice, practice.

cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on Sep. 10 2002 at 12:00
CongaCaja

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:28 pm

So are you getting conga and tumba?

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:55 pm

:D Vaya Jorge..I couldn't have said it any better .Gracias, now back to the the drawing board UNPAKIN! ;) JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby CongaCaja » Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:19 am

Yes, Jorge, I ordered a conga/tumba pair. They are being drop shipped from LP (matadores son suficientes porque estoy aprendiendo) and I should have them in a week.

Can't wait to get the drums...so now, I'm heading over to read the other topics re: books, exercises, etc.

thanks again :) to you (and johnny) for the tips

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby RayBoogie » Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:21 am

Hey CongaCaja, great choice of drums. I have the Matador conga and tumba and I'm very please with the sound that it projects. You can't beat the price of the drums. I play traditional Afro-Cuban music, plus I also dabble in Rock, Blues, r&b, Jazz and also House Music. LP products are the best in my opinion.

Tamb, made a good suggestion, practice your slap on the tumba. Once you perfect the slap on the tumba you will see the difference when you switch to the conga.

Good luck!! :)
RayBoogie

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises